Dental Implants. Terrified!

[An...]

I was hoping someone has experience with surgical procedures while still tapering. And can give me some advice.

Sometime in 2015 I had a seizure and fell down the stairs and fractured my front tooth's root. This tooth had been already snapped in half when I was about 12 from a motorcycle wreck. Since the root was fractured and I already had a root canal about 20 years ago, this tooth had to go.  It was killing me and constantly swelling up.

I already had the tooth removed and the bone graft done. And I opted to do that with just carbocaine and nitrous.

I go back in a few days for the surgeon to check it out and schedule the implant surgery. And I'm absolutely terrified.

When I first started seeing this surgeon she really had no clue about benzo withdrawal and the fact that I was concerned with general anesthesia would even work on me or not probably just freaked her out too.

So basically I was just wondering if anybody has had surgery with general anesthesia while they were still tapering. How did it go? Should I try it or just keeping opting for local with nitrous, and the other times I also took 2mg of Xanax prior. Which the one off Xanax dose didn't seem to help, but it also didn't hurt me, as I was able to go right back to my tapering schedule with no issues.

Any advice would be awesome.

Hello Andytrav,

I had dental implant surgery while I was in recovery from benzo withdrawal. The dentist who did the procedure recommended a benzo but I refused and he accepted my decision. I had all the procedures done with carbocaine with no epinephrine. I've been sensitive to epi even before I was put on benzos. The carbocaine worked just fine, I was completely numb throughout the procedures. Make sure you do the rinses they suggest afterwards to aid in the healing.

I also had surgeries on my shoulder with general anesthetic and a colonoscopy as well during my taper and recovery. I also asked not to be given a benzo, it's listed as an allergy on my chart.  I was give propofol instead for the colonoscopy and did fine. I also had no benzo for any of my shoulder surgeries. Truly it's given pre-surgery to relax the patient and I didn't feel the need for it.

Good luck.

pianogirl  :smitten:

[3d...]
I had a dental implant and was given oral sedation, i.e. halcion.  It made me sort of fall asleep and forget everything that happened.  As much as I don't like having to use a benzo, it got me through it and didn't seem to have any lasting detrimental effect.

I think from what I know about withdrawal is that while you are tapering your problems with this kind of thing are far less than when you are off benzos

the further out you are in recovery once you are off benzos the more sensitive we seem to get.

For example, 3 years off benzos and nearly recovered seems to be the time when people have more setbacks and sensitivity compared to when you are first off.

I hope this helps

shania

Hi Andytrav,

I had dental implant surgery on a back upper molar in March and it was waaaaay easier than recovery from benzos and surprisingly painless.  I'm not kidding.  I took one extra-strength Tylenol when I got home because I thought pain was coming, but it never did.  I was absolutely terrified and full of dread for weeks and months in advance, but once it was done, I realized I worried for nothing.  I had local anasthetic with epinephrine.  I asked if we could do carbocaine but it was not an option, nor was general anesthetic even suggested.  I refused a benzodiazepine and she, the dental surgeon, did not offer it after I explained my situation. 

Try not to worry.  My dentist told me he had two done and went to work the next day.  They are not known to be painful.

All the best to you and good luck. 

It’s not that I’m afraid of the pain or anything. It is just my general mistrust in doctors now. I just assume all medical professionals are idiots now until they can prove to me they are not. I wish I would of been more direct with this surgeon and asked her how many times has she done this, what is her success rate, and other things like that. But it is hard to ask doctors thing like that without sounding like a dick.

I still have minor pain in the area since the bone graft that was done in Feb. I told her that and she basically ignored me. They took never took X-rays posts bone graft.

And it this point I am so withdrawn from society, I really don’t care that I don’t have my front tooth upper tooth. I have a “flipper” that I wear when I go out in public and it looks great.  If I had more of a social life and was dating I would really care about this. But right now I just don’t give a shit and this is just causing way more stress than it’s worth.

I hate doctors!

Okay, I understand better now.  I feel  the same about doctors and I’ve not been able to overcome it.  I asked the questions I could think of, but it’s hard when you don’t even know the right questions to ask.  We are really at their mercy, so much  out of our control.  For me, a bridge, though possible, was not the best choice due to there being no tooth behind it and a non-molar in front that would get ground down and potentially weaken in time (I was told anyways), and I need this implanted tooth or I can't chew on the right side.  The whole thing was definitely more psychologically than physically hard, but I just had to do it, without trusting. 

I saw two different surgeons, not by choice.  After the bone graft, surgeon #2 took over because I was told the first one no longer worked for this office.  I don’t know why, but I can guess.  The first one told me I needed a sinus lift (CT scan & surgical guide: $800.00 and sinus lift which is another operation: $1,600.00-$4,500.00+) to accommodate the length of the implant.  While being told about this sinus lift again, now by the second doctor, I started crying, which is when she tells me that a short implant is possible, with no sinus lift.  I never even knew this was an option until that point.  That didn't help my trust issues.

If you still have the opportunity, ask your questions.  It's important.  You must advocate for yourself.  I think I was told the success rate IN GENERAL is about 90%.  I also asked questions by email, that I thought of later.  If she continues to not even acknowledge your concerns, can the office refer you to another doctor for a second opinion?  I had the implant placed 5 months after the bone graft, so I think there’s still time?  I don’t know.

I fumbled my way though this process, but am glad that by chance surgeon #2 crossed my path.

After going back to the dentist I feel little bit better. They finally took a lot of X-rays and such. I was mainly concerned because I still have pain 4 months after the bone graft. The surgeon said it looked perfect and the pain was likely due to the fact that I have been so numb all my life with benzos and opiates and now tapering off, I just now notice pain a lot more.  Which I guess makes sense.

And after the dentist did a very thorough exam I found out a I have a lot of other dental problems due to the drugs I am on and the anxiety. I clench my jaw so much when I am stressed it is really damaging my teeth. Also the benzos, the Trazodone, and the methadone are all causing dry mouth which isn’t helping me.

So my gums are receeding.  So I scheduled two 6 hour long appointment within the next two months for a “deep cleaning.” Gum scaling, several fillings, and finally whitening.

I hate the dentist so much I figured I might as well go all out and get everything fixed.  So hopefully in a few months I will have my implant all finished along with a much brighter smile.

Let’s hope it goes okay.  :-\

• 2 weeks later...

Just came here to say that I also had a front tooth dental implant done. I wasn't on benzos during that time but I have to say the procedure was completely painless and I remember feeling so happy afterwards. Even the temporary crown looked amazing. I've had more trouble with root canals and fillings than the implant.

Also, this may sound a bit new-agey but some people are reporting that swishing your mouth with coconut oil or 'oil pulling' can help with receding gums. I don't know if it's true but it's one of those natural remedies that can't harm you if you keep up with your regular dental hygiene.

Also, one thing that helped me with root canal pain was Himalayan salt mouthwashes. I have no idea how that worked but it took the swelling down and reduced the pain.

I hope you're happy with your new implant :)

• 4 weeks later...

So far I am just so proud of myself that I actually went through with it. I kept thinking I would just eventually call to cancel the appointment. But I ended up scheduling several more appointments for root planning and scaling, several fillings, whitening, and a crown. And everything was totally fine.

I go back today to for them to check how the implant is healing and will hopefully get my permanent crown in a month or so.  ;D

So far I am just so proud of myself that I actually went through with it. I kept thinking I would just eventually call to cancel the appointment. But I ended up scheduling several more appointments for root planning and scaling, several fillings, whitening, and a crown. And everything was totally fine.

I go back today to for them to check how the implant is healing and will hopefully get my permanent crown in a month or so.  ;D

Congrats, Andy! As I said before, getting an implant affected my life very positively. Good and healthy teeth can be a huge confidence booster. :)

Just want to report that all went well for me too.  I had my crown placed on the implant last week.  It's been over a year and finally I can eat on the right side of my face.  Now, if only I could remember to do that.

Just curious, what was the experience like getting the final crown placed? My implant is healing well. I go in tomorrow for the surgeon to check it one more time and then they said they would attach the permenant crown in about four months.

I assume all the hard parts are over with. At least I hope they are. I’m tired of having dental work done every week for the last 6 weeks. Sigh.

Just curious, what was the experience like getting the final crown placed? My implant is healing well. I go in tomorrow for the surgeon to check it one more time and then they said they would attach the permenant crown in about four months.

I assume all the hard parts are over with. At least I hope they are. I’m tired of having dental work done every week for the last 6 weeks. Sigh.

It was my absolute favourite part. I don't even remember any discomfort. I literally cried from happiness because it was my front tooth and it was complete perfection. No one has ever been able to tell I have and implant. :)

Yep. It’s my front tooth as well. #9 I originally snapped it off when I was about twelve. And then I had a seizure about three years ago and fell down the stairs. And that caused the root to fracture.

Im so tired of dentist.

Yep. It’s my front tooth as well. #9 I originally snapped it off when I was about twelve. And then I had a seizure about three years ago and fell down the stairs. And that caused the root to fracture.

Im so tired of dentist.

I feel you. I've had two root canals redone and been to the dentist 8 times this summer. But believe me, the dental crown will be a game changer. :)

Yes, the hard parts should be over with now.  Getting the crown placed was easy--no pain, no discomfort, no stress, other than just having to go to the dentist, again. The week before that they made the molds for the tooth and that was easy too.  And my new tooth feels real and works great.  I am pleased and relieved.  You will be too, I am sure.  I just go back for a final check in a few weeks. Whew.  Glad it's done.

• 3 months later...
I also had a dental implant and all was well.  My bp went up to 185 over 112, but after it was over it went back down again.  I had great success with the implant.

• 4 years later...
I should say, your posts calmed me down. I need to have an implant done. I've already chosen the clinic after reading the Clear Choice reviews by link, but I still worry, mostly because I heard about different issues people faced after the implants were done. Thanks for inspiring stories!

Hi Andytrav,

I had dental implant surgery on a back upper molar in March and it was waaaaay easier than recovery from benzos and surprisingly painless.  I'm not kidding.  I took one extra-strength Tylenol when I got home because I thought pain was coming, but it never did.  I was absolutely terrified and full of dread for weeks and months in advance, but once it was done, I realized I worried for nothing.  I had local anasthetic with epinephrine.  I asked if we could do carbocaine but it was not an option, nor was general anesthetic even suggested.  I refused a benzodiazepine and she, the dental surgeon, did not offer it after I explained my situation. 

Try not to worry.  My dentist told me he had two done and went to work the next day.  They are not known to be painful.

All the best to you and good luck.

My experience was the same as benzohno. I had two implants (upper left molars). During the implants, the dentist just numbed me with local anesthesia. I felt no pain during the procedure. I was a little sore the following day, but I don't think I took anything OTC. I was fine on day 2 IIRC. The hardest part was the 4-month wait period for osseointegration to happen. I think I talked to pianogirl before I had mine and she helped to allay my fears. It was really nothing. I actually need another one on the right side but that is on the back burner for the moment.

• 1 month later...

I didn't have an implant, but I did have a molar with a fractured root extracted while on my taper and the oral surgeon put me completely out for the procedure. I didn't even think about what anesthesia he was using - never even crossed my mind! - but didn't have any issues afterwards. 

I’m so glad there’s another post about dental work. I may need a crown and was wondering if any can share what anesthesia can be used if Carbocaine is not available.  I read that it was discontinued in 2022.  What else is adrenaline free?