ISEPP: Help Expose the Link Between Psychiatric Drugs and Violence/Suicide

[be...]

I received this in my email today, June 17/18 from ISEPP, the International Society for Ethical Psychology and Psychiatry, based in Washington, DC.  It's good news.  This letter is directed to medical professionals, but he will be in contact again, requesting letters also from "survivors of mental health treatment" to be sent to Ben Carey, NY Times reporter.

"From the Executive Director

Dear Colleagues:

I am writing to solicit the help of professionals of the mental health and allied fields in a very important project. I am representing ISEPP on a “Prescripticide” steering committee with the goal of gaining national publicity about the correlation between psychiatric drug use and violence/suicide, and to call for an independent federal investigation into the matter. The Prescripticide effort is comprised of five groups: 1) family members of people who have either committed suicide or violent acts while on psychiatric drugs; 2) survivors of mental health treatment; 3) veterans and active duty military who have been harmed by psychiatric drugs; 4) a panel of 16 noteworthy experts in the field; and 5) mental health practitioners, academicians, and allied professionals who are concerned about this problem. I am asking that you be part of this last group. There will conceivably be hundreds of people participating in this effort.

I drafted the attached letter [link didn't transfer to BB, so I've attached it here -Benzohno]:  https://gallery.mailchimp.com/741ebbf2f1d2af8533249382e/files/d719e465-7be0-4b09-bd9b-592d4856c9c1/Group_Letter.01.pdf  to Benedict Carey, a New York Times reporter who is familiar with ISEPP’s mission and has written about problems within the mental health industry for the past several years. You can see his latest article about psychiatric drug withdrawal here (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/health/antidepressants-withdrawal-readers.html). I ask that you add your name as a signatory to my letter. It points out the rationale for why we are concerned about this problem using the information in my White Paper on psychiatric drugs and violence (http://psychintegrity.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/White-Paper-Psychiatric-Drugs-and-Violence.pdf) (Ruby, C. {2016}. Psychiatric Drugs and Violence. Ethical Human Psychology and Psychiatry, 18(1), 29-35).

I also ask that you directly send Mr. Carey a separate letter or email (we prefer a letter) summarizing your concerns as you see it in your professional work. He is expecting the letters and for now he seems interested. Your letter should encourage Mr. Carey to consider publicizing this problem in a New York Times article or series of articles. We are asking everyone in the above five groups to send these letters. Since we want everyone’s letters to arrive in mass, I’ll email you later to let you know when to send it and I’ll provide Mr. Carey’s address.

Please respond to me at docruby@me.com as soon as possible and let me know how you would like your name and professional position to appear on the attached group letter to Mr. Carey. 

Thank you for your help in this very important matter.

Chuck Ruby, Ph.D.

Psychologist

Executive Director"

ISEPP's website:  http://psychintegrity.org/  (I can't find the above info on ISEPP's website, but I have not done a thorough search)

• 4 weeks later...

email from today from ISEPP, July 15/18:

From the Executive Director

Dear Colleagues:

I sent the group letter to Ben Carey, journalist for the New York Times. I now ask that those of you who cosigned the group letter send a separate personal email or postal letter directly to him. Please keep the email/letter concise and strictly focused on the potential link between psychiatric drugs and violence/suicide. He is expecting to hear from you.

If you are a mental health or allied professional and didn't cosign the group letter, I still encourage you to send your own separate email or letter to Mr. Carey.

Mr. Carey’s address is 620 8thAve., New York, NY 10018; bencarey@nytimes.com. Please send your letter now.

Thank you,

Chuck Ruby, Ph.D.

Psychologist

Executive Director

email from today from ISEPP, July 15/18:

From the Executive Director

Dear Colleagues:

I sent the group letter to Ben Carey, journalist for the New York Times. I now ask that those of you who cosigned the group letter send a separate personal email or postal letter directly to him. Please keep the email/letter concise and strictly focused on the potential link between psychiatric drugs and violence/suicide. He is expecting to hear from you.

If you are a mental health or allied professional and didn't cosign the group letter, I still encourage you to send your own separate email or letter to Mr. Carey.

Mr. Carey’s address is 620 8thAve., New York, NY 10018; bencarey@nytimes.com. Please send your letter now.

Thank you,

Chuck Ruby, Ph.D.

Psychologist

Executive Director

This is very positive.

I have been saying for awhile that this possible link between psych drugs and violence has the potential to expose these drugs for what they are. Glad to see that there is some progress being made.

Yes, I've also thought this may be the route to exposing the truth about all psychotropics.  I'll keep this thread updated as ISEPP sends emails.  I really hope this goes somewhere, that Ben Carey writes something.

• 3 weeks later...

email from yesterday from ISEPP, August 5/18:

To all my colleagues,

I want to follow up and thank all the professionals who sent emails and letters to Ben Carey of the New York Times about the link between psychiatric drugs and violence/suicide. I'm sure your efforts will be worth it.

I want to ask those of you who have not yet written to Mr. Carey to either do so now, or you can consider a brief email to him along the lines of:

"I am aware there is very likely a significant association between the use of prescribed psychiatric drugs and violence against oneself and others. I believe that this should be written about and independently investigated."

Feel free to tailor your email to match you specific professional concerns about the link. Again, our goal is to demonstrate to Mr. Carey that this is an important issue of concern to the various mental health professionals. Mr. Carey's email address is bencarey@nytimes.com.

Thank you,

Chuck Ruby, Ph.D.

Executive Director

• 1 month later...