Gratitude lists! They really work...

[Mr...]

As we all know, our thoughts affect the way we feel, and the way we feel not only affects our thoughts and our actions, but also and perhaps more importantly the way we perceive the world which in turn feeds back into the way we think and feel. This is why gratitude lists really work.

I am just reestablishing my detox after an unpleasant relapse on benzos comma and my friend suggested we text each other a gratitude list each day. It's used in recovery from addiction and depression and other things  so feel free to do one yourselves if you feel inclined. It works because it makes you look at the world differently, and brightens up your perspective on life. I did it today and it has most certainly had a very tangible effect on my mood and the way I'm experiencing reality now. I think the crucial thing is to write what you truly are grateful for, not what you think you ought to be grateful for, otherwise it doesn't have the impact on your mood that it might otherwise have; and ifyou truly feel grateful for absolutely nothing, then that's fine; it's indicative of  a difficult time  which warrants  self love and attention to one's needs. Sorry can't how to be a helpful exercise if you ask me, but that's just my view. I'll be interested to hear yours.

Here is the one I wrote today...

I'm grateful for having my own place, for having a first class therapist and a few people who really understands me and give me quality advice.

I'm grateful for the improvement in my mental and physical health over the last couple of years, and my newfound freedom from the antidepressant mirtazapine, and the progress of made in  discontinuing all psychiatric medication.

I'm grateful for the wisdom and insight that has come about thanks to therapy and friendly advice, and I'm grateful for the time and space for true recovery and growth.

I'm grateful for the gym and the sunshine; I'm grateful for the flowers, the birds and the sky.

I'm grateful for the day and night and for the air...I'm grateful for everything really! I'm grateful to be alive.

thank you for this post,

I try to have a positive outlook everyday

I am grateful that I am no longer taking Clon

I am grateful for my wonderful husband

I am grateful to have my MIL here with me she really has been a God sent

I am grateful that my W/D is getting better

I am stronger than that tiny little pill !!!

Alright, I'll try this.  I have been struggling with trying to think positively.

I am grateful for hot tea.

I am grateful for having enough money to pay the bills.

I am grateful for nachos.

I am grateful for Civ. VI.

I am grateful for all the writers that keep writing books for me to read.

I am grateful for Scott Brick's voice. This man can made the most boring and dull book, sound great, in audio books. 

I am grateful for my lovely cheerful child, who can make me smile no matter what is going on.

• 1 month later...

I am grateful for hot showers.

I am grateful for the sky, the ground, the trees, the birds, the oceans and river and sunshine.

I am grateful for what I have learned in this journey.

I am grateful for the internet and this forum for telling me what was wrong with me and how to taper.

I am grateful for the air I breathe.

I am grateful.