could surgery cause relapse?

[wa...]

Ive been wondering about this a lot because, what if one day i get into an accident or something and wind up in the hospital and need surgery. wouldn't the anesthesia or whatever they use to put you under cause your brains gaba receptors to downregulate again like what benzodiazepams do? And not only what they put you on in surgery, but after that, if you need meds for pain or whatever. i know opiods are bad for making people withdraw too. after what benzos did to me im terrified of all pharmaceuticals, and it terrifies me to think that if i ever needed surgery that this could happen. Thoughts or input anyone??

Surgery is what caused me to get on benzos and then 11 weeks later, I had another surgery. Yes, anasthesia can mess you up I think. So can the pain pillls. The pain pills gave me severe anxiety and made me to where I couldn't sleep at all.

thanks for the input stacey! well i hope i never need to get surgery for anything. i hate hospitals now and i can't stand big pharma.  im sorry to hear that you had those experiences! I too had plenty of the can't sleep wd crap. im happy to say that i can sleep again for the most part. i still get my nights and i wake up quite a bit, but from what everyone tells me that is pretty normal for everyone. Even the average college student logs about 5 hours of sleep a night. but im a lot lot better than before. you will make it too, just hang in there and don't take any pharmacy crap or over the counter stuff unless your life depends on it.. I don't take ANYTHING not even cold medicine anymore because of the antihistamine crap that is just as bad as benzos imo!! but im wishing you a speedy recovery!

Warm,

Most of the BB who've had to have surgery during recovery have done fine. There are aspects of it that are difficult since you're going into it with symptoms already, but it doesn't seem to set most people back in their wd. If you make the request, they can often refrain from using benzos with your anesthesia. There's some solid research that recovery from surgery goes better without it. Some of the anesthesia drugs affect GABA but it's a bit different. So try not to worry.

MT

i needed to have a procedure and requested they only use propofol - no versed since it's a benzo.  and i did just fine - zero problems.  i even needed a dose of fentanyl post surgery - just a single dose - and no set backs. 

wow thanks for the replies! i guess if i ever need surgery for pestering tendonitis or anything i'll feel better about it? but also some of us are poor metabolisers of drugs, everyone is different? how's everyone holding up?

I will have a colonoscopy/endoscopy Monday, and I the doc will use propofol. Nowaday whenever I have to answer medical/health questions I say that I am allergic go benzos, so it is in my record.