Does remeron effect recovery length

[in...]

Does remeron prevent or slow down the recovery from benzo withdrawal I'm on a small dose of 7.5mg for sleep ?

Also does propanol the beta blocker do the same I know it effects memory and the way we learn new information would this effect  recovery ?

Does remeron prevent or slow down the recovery from benzo withdrawal I'm on a small dose of 7.5mg for sleep ?

No.  In fact, many find it relieves some of the sxs, so it may allow you to get off sooner.  And I took a small dose anytime I had sleep problems and it never caused any problem

Also does propanol the beta blocker do the same I know it effects memory and the way we learn new information would this effect  recovery ?

Propranolol really is NOT a psych drug.  It relieves some of the physical sxs of wd, such as tremors, tachycardia, etc.  Again, for most folks, smooths the recovery.

Remeron is also addictive, so I would be careful. How long have you been taking it? I would take it only when you need to if possible to avoid becoming dependent. I had a hell of a time getting off it.

Remeron is also addictive, so I would be careful. How long have you been taking it? I would take it only when you need to if possible to avoid becoming dependent. I had a hell of a time getting off it.

Some folks do develop some dependency, but most folks find it easy to discontinue.  It is NOT addictive, and is NOT a scheduled drug.

Going off of Remeron was very hard for me, but not as hard as benzos (at first I thought Remeron was worse, because my first 2 months off of benzos were nothing like months 4-7 and still getting worse). Good thing about Remeron withdrawal -- it was linear and it was mostly over in 2.5 months. It wasn't easy, though, I ended up being hospitalized.

Some folks do develop some dependency, but most folks find it easy to discontinue.  It is NOT addictive, and is NOT a scheduled drug.

Right, it can cause dependency. Most people use those terms interchangeably, but if you want to stick to medical lingo, it's not addictive in the sense that you want to take it, more that you need to take it to sleep. It can also cause all the crazy side effects that many antidepressants can cause: akathasia, suicidal ideation, worsening depression or anxiety etc. but I think these occur in the minority of people. It definitely helps most people sleep, including me, until the horrific akathisia began. Then withdrawal, then not sleeping for about a month until I was so desperate I took Klonopin to stop it. After which I was dependent on that for a long time. In a way, Remeron is the thing that started this whole horror show for me and wasted a huge portion of my life.

If you take it, just be careful. Taking benzos for a long time and withdrawing can cause your nervous system to be extremely sensitive.

Mirtazapine(Remeron) is actually used to treat akathisia in some cases. . . There's not a whole ton of evidence it causes it, it's probably one of the least likely offenders in the antidepressant category.

To speak on it personally, I definitely benefited from Remeron from some time, and while I haven't tapered off of benzos successfully yet I did taper and it did help me sleep, lower dosages work better for sleep. It was also essentially a joke to withdraw from compared to benzos. . .  (and I am just talking about cuts)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes intially Remeron was like a miracle and took away most of my sxs and I had a really nice 1-2 month long window but then I had to pay the piper when I got off and I was right back where I started - actually worse. It's just another indirect support filling in for the imbalances caused by WD including GABA. In addition to serotonin it ends up actually raising GABA, and opiods. <edited because I didnt realize op was already on it>

• 2 weeks later...
I just went to the doctor yesterday and she put me on Remeron/Mirtazapine for anxiety and sleep but after reading some of these Forums and reading through "Ask A Patient" website, I feel that it might not be a good idea, too many extreme side effects and then withdrawal issues, so I am holding off taking it, any thoughts on this.....