Neuropathy- calling all diabetics

[Fa...]

I am Type 1.

Insulin pump and Dexcom sensor.

For the past three months or so the pain in my legs has been excruciating.

I believe I did something to my sciatic nerve or pulled something when I tried to ride my bike for a few days. Now, especially my right leg, is practically numb and itmy foot tingles a lot. There is horrible pain on the back of my leg. It's hard to describe but I am guessing anybody with neuropathy knows what I mean. I take two acetaminophen and/or two Motrin before bed but I still toss and turn. I could barely walk through Walmart last night the pain was making me neauseous.

I'm afraid to tell my Dr. Because I don't want to get prescribed Lyrica or anything g else. Or, is there something out there that is safe??

All advice appreciated.

It is in the right place.  Unfortunately, the only meds that I know of that can help with neuropathy are lyrica and neurontin. 

I have read that zinc, iron, and B vitamins can help with some types of neuropathy.  But I know some people cannot tolerate B vitamins during withdrawal (they can be activating).  Note that if you get B supplements, some of the ones that are just B (not a multivitamin) can have up to 20 times the recommended daily amount, so you might want to be aware of dosages.  (I take a multivitamin that has about 2 times the recommended amount of B vitamins, and it does not bother me.)

I have had neuropathy off and on since tapering (it is mostly gone now and not from diabetes, so I don't know if yours would respond the same.  Mine felt like I had an extremely bad sunburn and someone slapped it really hard, and other times it felt like a chemical burn all over my back and arms).  Anyway, the one thing that took it away completely was medical marijuana.  I don't know if this is an option for you, and some people have been very setback using marijuana while tapering (but others have found it helpful, there is actually a facebook group called blazing benzos that discusses using marijuana and CBD for benzo withdrawal).  When the neuropathy was bad, I found that smoking tiny doses (called microdosing) every hour took away the burning completley, or reduced it by about 90%.  I didn't have to smoke enough to get "high", and there are strains available that have lower THC contents (the part that gets you high).  Some people have found CBD oil (which doesn't get you high in any way) helpful for neuropathy.

I understand not everyone is interested in using marijuana, so I hope I didn't offend you in anyway.  It can be risky using it during withdrawal, and like I said, some people have been set back.  However, even if you don't want to try it now, it may be an option in the future if your neuropathy doesn't improve after withdrawal.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Not offended at all. I may be talking with my Doc about a medical marijuana card for just this reason.

Thanks again!!

• 4 weeks later...
I get similar pain. T1 for 32 years, in great shape (was?). I find that Thorne Meriva helps with a lot of my aches and pains...nerve pain as well.