High Cortisol

[Ro...]

I took a saliva cortisol reading and mine is elevated and high at night.  Sure could explain why I am wired at night.  I am checking into help for this.  Perhaps after 4 years off Xanax my insomnia is not primarily, or even at all, caused by benzos at this late stage.  Does anyone have input as to success in dealing with adrenal issues?

At 51 months out I still have high cortisol. I feel it is caused by the benzo. What else would it be? I do meditation, 4-7-8 breathing, try to stay away from coffee (except sometimes, which really puts me in a tailspin), drink lemon water, exercise as well as I can.

But I'd like to read what others have done, too.

Thanks for responding.  I also believe it is caused, at least in part, by the benzos.  I feel I need to pursue this as my fatigue is getting worse, 46 months now.  There are some supplements very much encouraged.  Like Ashwanda and holy basil.  Trouble is don't know if it could make me worse.  But, I really don't see how it could get worse.  I spend 22 hours a day in bed now.  So wired at night barely sleep.  I am detiorating.  How is it affecting you?

Well, unfortunately it makes my blood pressure very unstable, that and the adrenaline. I have had a lot of blood tests in the last few months. I also have kidney problems now because of the high blood pressure that has resulted. But I have noticed improvement, although it's very slow.

Have you tried exercising at all in bed? That certainly would help get the cortisol out. I'm so sorry you're stuck in bed. I spend the afternoon in bed. I'd be scared of supplements, too.

Actually, I have exercised throughout.  I go for a half hour walk most days.  Push myself out.  When the rushes kick in usually around 8 pm at the worst, I get up and do aerobics.  You are so right!  The aerobics knock the rushes out for a while or sometimes for the rest of the night, depending.  My whole body is exhausted.  I really can't believe I can feel like this for all these years.  Like I said, up until recently I assumed it was gaba vs glutamate.  I now think it is more likely cortisol, especially since the test results outlined likely side effects and they nailed them.  So, I guess it is good news in a way in that there is an actual medical issue others can understand and maybe even deal with. Finding the right doctor will be a challenge. 

We really are all different.  My blood pressure is normal.  Do you sleep at night? 

It's great that you exercise! That really helps. Meditation helps also. Another thing I've been doing is the 4-7-8 breathing at least twice per day. It's said that it takes 8 weeks to feel relaxation, so I'm hoping. Yoga is another one, although I have a difficult time with my muscles. But I'm working on it.

Yes, we are all so different. I think benzos affect people in a variety of different days. I was reading one post about a woman who had such light sensitivity that she couldn't be outside in the sunlight and had to go out when it was dark.

Yes, I sleep. Insomnia has rarely been a problem, but I take bp pills. I'm sure they do something.

So happy for you that you sleep.  I am quite relaxed mostly, except when the rushes kick in at night.  Like clockwork.  If I have something to deal with, such as landscapers, appointments, I get very anxious.  I make as few commitments as I possibly can.  What a pathetic existence!  I do keep telling myself at least I don't have any pain and can get around well.  Just so very tired.

At 51 months out I still have high cortisol. I feel it is caused by the benzo. What else would it be? I do meditation, 4-7-8 breathing, try to stay away from coffee (except sometimes, which really puts me in a tailspin), drink lemon water, exercise as well as I can.

Hi Terry,

I didn’t realize your cortisol was running high as well.  Are the serum levels clinically out of range AM, afternoon , and PM ?

As you know that would affect your BP.

So happy for you that you sleep.  I am quite relaxed mostly, except when the rushes kick in at night.  Like clockwork.  If I have something to deal with, such as landscapers, appointments, I get very anxious.  I make as few commitments as I possibly can.  What a pathetic existence!  I do keep telling myself at least I don't have any pain and can get around well.  Just so very tired.

Don't beat me... my cortisol levels are doing a rollercoaster with me because I stopped taking cortisone some months before.. I noticed that ... don't beat me... lifting weights (for me thats 1 kilogram:-) for 3 minutes are enough to get the level lower, so that I am able to relax again. I did not do that because I had fear to do too much, but even 1 minute or 10 times up-down with a little weight with my hand are helpful, don't know why, but maybe its worth a try?

its all crazy... :idiot: sorry you are still suffering.. :(

Hi Terry,

I didn’t realize your cortisol was running high as well.  Are the serum levels clinically out of range AM, afternoon , and PM ?

As you know that would affect your BP.

I've got to get one of those cortisol test kits to check it. When I had the lab test done, it was in the morning. That's usually when I have the lowest bp of the day. But I still had high cortisol at that time. The afternoon is when it ramps up. The last time I went to see the nephrologist, he did a number of blood tests, mainly to check the stress hormones. I'm waiting to find out the results. He thinks the high bp is all due to anxiety.

Roemer, have you tried working out with light weights to get rid of the cortisol? I wonder if that would help. It does cause me a bit of anxiety to do that, but it's actually nothing compared to coffee.

Roemer, have you tried working out with light weights to get rid of the cortisol? I wonder if that would help. It does cause me a bit of anxiety to do that, but it's actually nothing compared to coffee.

thats what I tried to say :) sometimes it is helpful, sometimes a little walk.

Sometimes screaming for 3 minutes but I cant do that every day :crazy:

Yes, Marigold, even crying! Though I don't cry very often since this benzo mess. Just crying a little, though, releases some cortisol.

Yes, Marigold, even crying! Though I don't cry very often since this benzo mess. Just crying a little, though, releases some cortisol.

thats why I must avoid crying at the moment although I would want it and need it badly. My cortisol is too low now :'(

Its strange to do the opposite now (this is a weird training, right?)

Roemer, here's another thought. Yoga. Do you do it at all? Now that I can finally do it after years of running into symptoms, I'm finding that it lowers cortisol. I know that because cortisol has been fueling my blood pressure ever since the benzo mess started. My blood pressure goes down when I do it, and I feel more relaxed. Anyway, you might think about that.

I have not tried yoga.  I have found jumping is a godsend, at least foe a while.  I wanted to have a recognized issue others understand.  At least now I have one.  I will not try the supplements they say help.  What is the point of going to the doc?  I have books and follow diet, etc protocol, but cannot go with supplements they recommend.  We know how crazy our bodies are.  I am sure I will not react well.  Last night I was wired all night.  Zero sleep.  So slept a couple of hours today.  It is now 4 pm and I can actually feel the cortisol rushes beginning.  Tired all day, wired all night.  Really, this has been going on for years, but worse now.  I don't see my body healing from this.  I can see how weights would help.  God help us all!

Well, keep working at it, Roemer. The body has an amazing ability to heal even through all the trauma. It's awful you have to go through the cortisol and then the sleeplessness.

Maybe you could go to a class on yoga and then practice the poses at home? It would relax you. I'm sure there are others like you, maybe not as severe, but who have difficulty with insomnia. Here are some exercises that help lower cortisol: https://www.auroraeyoga.com/yoga-poses-that-can-help-lower-your-cortisol-levels/

My thought (I don't know if this is true) is that the cortisol resulting from benzos gets stored in the muscles and tendons. Stretching them gives them a chance to release the cortisol so that you feel more relaxed and at ease, able to sleep better.