Victan (Ethyl Loflazepate) prescribed to a 15-year old girl

[ma...]

Hello,

My daughter is an anxious girl and was prescribed Victan (Ethyl Loflazepate) to help her cope with an intense exam period (15 days). She's only 15 and I'm worried but the doctor said that Victan is not exactly a benzodiazepine and is only addictive if taken during a much longer period.

Is this correct?

Thank you very much

I would not mess around with it, even if it is only a derivative of a benzo.  Though I admit, I have never heard of this specific drug.

I would not mess around with it, even if it is only a derivative of a benzo.  Though I admit, I have never heard of this specific drug.

Yes, GreenCup, I'm terrified. But it's so difficult to go against the tide. I found myself arguing with the doctor and for an outsider I may look like a lunatic denying a crucial treatment to an ill child. She said a lot of nonsense but has got the authority of medicine behind :(

I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about this Ethyl Loflazepate. Doctor said it's not dangerous but we've heard that story before...

Hello,

My daughter is an anxious girl and was prescribed Victan (Ethyl Loflazepate) to help her cope with an intense exam period (15 days). She's only 15 and I'm worried but the doctor said that Victan is not exactly a benzodiazepine and is only addictive if taken during a much longer period.

Is this correct?

Thank you very much

I sort of feel like if you are asking the question, you already know the answer.

My parents put me on Librax for stomach issues when I was 8 years old. It is an anti-emetic combined with Librium, a benzo.

So now I am almost 50 years old and struggling like I cannot believe to get off klonopin. I wish my parents knew that I needed help to treat the underlying anxiety that was causing my stomach issues (of course, how could they, my father was a drunk and my mom co-dependent beyond belief).

If you let your daughter take these now, you aren't helping her in the long run. She cannot see drugs as the answer to anxiety.

There are many natural products that help with anxiety--l-theanine, magnesium, aromatherapy products. Aerobic exercise. Yoga, meditation. I recently tried hypnosis, which didn't help with what I needed but could likely help your daughter.

This is just my opinion of course. I think it is very hard to be 15 years old, my son is 15 and his coursework is ridiculous, often up to 1 or 2 in the morning. But I would NEVER unless his life was at risk use a medication to get through a life issue.

Also, for me, as a parent, and someone who is struggling to get OFF of psychiatric drugs, I also say no.  I think it sends a bad message to take drugs for anxiety.  Anxiety for exams is perfectly normal. 

Thanks for answering NJstrength and GreenCup. Her anxiety is not normal. She has a lot of psychosomatic symptoms like abdominal pain and gastrointestinal distress and has been doing psychotherapy. She was showing improvement but as the exams approach she's getting worse again and we're afraid that she won't be able to complete or even attend the exams. She needs to pass to move forward to a new school where, among other things, she'll have more support and hopefully will be able to feel well and perform. If she doesn't pass, we'll have another year of problems ahead which I don't know how will end.

This is the reason why I'm considering using Victan. It's on an SOS basis but I don't like the idea anyway for two sorts of reasons:

1 - Physical effects: I don't know how addictive Victan really is and what kind of effects it may have on a developing brain.

2 - Psychological effects: As NJstrength said, I don't want her to think that meds are THE solution to anxiety as this in an open door to enter the world of psych meds in the future. We already have a problem here, as the doctor instead of talking to me in private, told everything in front of her and now she believes this med is her only salvation.

It's a very difficult decision.

That does sound really stressful.  It's unfortunate that the outcome with more support at school, requires her to pass the exams this year.  I would think that would make it very hard to stay calm about.  Maybe the exams are too stressful for her. 

Also, I don't believe that this benzo derivative is all that different.  The Z-drugs like lunesta and ambien are derivatives of benzos, and they also cause people withdrawal.

Thanks for answering NJstrength and GreenCup. Her anxiety is not normal. She has a lot of psychosomatic symptoms like abdominal pain and gastrointestinal distress and has been doing psychotherapy. She was showing improvement but as the exams approach she's getting worse again and we're afraid that she won't be able to complete or even attend the exams. She needs to pass to move forward to a new school where, among other things, she'll have more support and hopefully will be able to feel well and perform. If she doesn't pass, we'll have another year of problems ahead which I don't know how will end.

This is the reason why I'm considering using Victan. It's on an SOS basis but I don't like the idea anyway for two sorts of reasons:

1 - Physical effects: I don't know how addictive Victan really is and what kind of effects it may have on a developing brain.

2 - Psychological effects: As NJstrength said, I don't want her to think that meds are THE solution to anxiety as this in an open door to enter the world of psych meds in the future. We already have a problem here, as the doctor instead of talking to me in private, told everything in front of her and now she believes this med is her only salvation.

It's a very difficult decision.

I threw up all the time as a child due to the craziness of living in a household with substance abuse, so I understand your desire to fix this. I am sure my parents were just trying to fix this--they just wanted me to feel better. And here I am almost 50, feeling like my life is in shambles.

Is there any way to advocate for her at school? If she misses an exam due to being sick, I assume she could make it up. I am sure the drug will not cause any physical harm long term; I just feel once it is seen as okay to give for this stressful situation, what about the next stressful situation. I can tell you that I have done many things on no sleep after having vomited/had diarrhea all night because I was stressed about something. Life goes on even if you feel like shit, and that was true even when I was your daughter's age ... I graduated second in a class of 320 or so students.

I just read a book called The Spark about the impact of physical exercise on learning/anxiety/depression. You may want to read it. I think the recommendations could help your daughter.

Ultimately, you will need to do what you need to do.

Hello,

Is this correct?

Thank you very much

Well, I just gotta say it...

You got advice from a doctor, but you come to an online  message board for confirmation?  About a drug that probably no one here ever used, and most have never even heard of?  Unbelievable!!!  ::) ::)

Yeah, sometimes you can misinformation  from a doc, but not nearly as often as from a message board!!!  >:(

Hello,

Is this correct?

Thank you very much

Well, I just gotta say it...

You got advice from a doctor, but you come to an online  message board for confirmation?  About a drug that probably no one here ever used, and most have never even heard of?  Unbelievable!!!  ::) ::)

Yeah, sometimes you can misinformation  from a doc, but not nearly as often as from a message board!!!  >:(

Yes, believe it, I DON'T TRUST doctors. I think they have too much power and are given too much consideration. They don't know enough, specially psychiatrists, in part because the science behind is not solid enough, as ANYONE can see if they read the literature.

Your reverence to doctors is what leads to the crazy medicalization of life we have nowadays.

And don't be stupid, OK? If I knew that nobody here had heard about this med, I wouldn't have asked, don't you think so?

If I didn't trust my doctor, I would find another one.

Which is easier said than done. It is very hard to find a good doctor, one who will actually take the time to listen. I found a great GP--I cannot find a gynecologist or gastro dr that I like, despite getting referrals from people.

Yes, NJstrength, I also find it difficult :)

But I should correct what I said. It's not as much that I don't trust doctors, and psychiatrists in particular, it's that I don't trust psychiatry

I'm also worried that nobody here heard about this Ethyl Loflazepate...

Yes, NJstrength, I also find it difficult :)

But I should correct what I said. It's not as much that I don't trust doctors in general, and psychiatrists in particular, it's that I don't trust psychiatry

I'm also worried that nobody here heard about this Ethyl Loflazepate...

According to wikipedia, it's used in two South American countries (Argentine, Mexico), three European countries (Belgium, France, Portugal) and two Asian countries (Thailand, Japan). A weird combination :(

If I didn't trust my doctor, I would find another one.

Which is easier said than done. It is very hard to find a good doctor, one who will actually take the time to listen. I found a great GP--I cannot find a gynecologist or gastro dr that I like, despite getting referrals from people.

I consider 'my doctor' the equivalent of a war criminal.

About this ethyl dug: it seems it's like a benzodiazepine.

If you daughter has anxiety and it has effected her right now,did she consider trying SSRI ? I believed they worked good at controlling anxiety but it takes a months or 2 for them to work,it is ok if she takes a benzo derivatives drug right now but even one or two weeks of using this kinda drugs requires tapering and even doctors don’t know that sometimes,I don’t recommend her taking them but if she chose to do so,she need to come of slowly and they are ADDICTIVE they all are ,if they’ve been taken long enough they caused dependency

Next time I would try to find a tutor for your daughter. You could get an older student who wouldn't charge an arm and a leg. I would not use a drug. That just fosters dependency to get through exams. She would start thinking she "needs" the drug to get through them. Then she'd start thinking that she needed the drug to get through other situations. Since doctors can only prescribe drugs for whatever ailment a person has, I'd go outside the box. Meditation? Something that would help but wouldn't be a slippery slope. Drugs can only medicate. They can't relieve the situation. The bottom line is to get to the root of the problem.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I hope your daughter does well!!

Terry-  OMG, how was it this many posts, until someone suggested a tutor?  Here we are debating to use drugs or not to use drugs to help a kid with school, and finally, some advice that actually sounds very reasonable.  Of course, a tutor...

Guys, sorry but this is not a normal situation of nervousness or willingness to improve school performance. I do not want to go into detail here but it's much more serious than that, and it has nothing to do with improving school performance. A year of psychotherapy helped only a little.

Your top priority as a mom is to keep your daughter safe and make sure she feels supported. I am sure whatever choice you make, you will do that. It is hard work being a mom. Hope things go well for you.

Sometimes medications can help for a while I know SSRI helps with anxiety and control it in a degree maybe you wanted to look in to them cause I think they might be safer than benzo or benzo derivatives