mind trick i used to combat anxiety...

[...]

I read a story once about a man who was severely depressed and wanted to kill himself.  He was too afraid to do anything "drastic" so he decided he would "run himself to death".  He was pretty out of shape and figured if he just pushed himself he would have a heart attack and die.

The first time he did this, he didn't get very far, was out of breath and fell to the ground...his heart was pounding, he was out of breath, but much to his chagrin, he didn't die.

He tried it again the next day and the next.  He found that his depression began to lift the more he exercised.  Over time, his depression went away and he was in good shape as a result.

After going through some major anxiety during w/d, I have started to get angry at the anxiety.  I think it played a trick on my brain because I am beginning to feel more in control of this rather than the anxiety controlling me.  For awhile I was afraid to leave the house.  I started off small, I would just take my dog outside for a few minutes and stand right by the door to my building.  As I began to see that nothing bad happened, I started taking her for a short walk...not too far (just in case I needed to get back to my condo...irrational fear). 

Then I started getting mad that this anxiety was taking my life from me.  It's hot and humid but I started getting outside and running during the day.  Sure, my heart beat faster and I was out of breath...but it didn't kill me.  I'm getting stronger now and the anxiety is diminishing.        Don't allow the anxiety to steal any more of your life.

What a great post, and it makes so much sense!!  Thanks for sharing this story and thanks for telling us how it worked for you.  Think about it, these are the tools you'll use the rest of your life.  You won't ever have to take another pill because you've had to learn how to cope without them.  And believe me, nothing will be this hard ever again. 

Thank you for posting this, sometimes I just need to hear something good.  :smitten:

I read a story once about a man who was severely depressed and wanted to kill himself.  He was too afraid to do anything "drastic" so he decided he would "run himself to death".  He was pretty out of shape and figured if he just pushed himself he would have a heart attack and die.

The first time he did this, he didn't get very far, was out of breath and fell to the ground...his heart was pounding, he was out of breath, but much to his chagrin, he didn't die.

He tried it again the next day and the next.  He found that his depression began to lift the more he exercised.  Over time, his depression went away and he was in good shape as a result.

After going through some major anxiety during w/d, I have started to get angry at the anxiety.  I think it played a trick on my brain because I am beginning to feel more in control of this rather than the anxiety controlling me.  For awhile I was afraid to leave the house.  I started off small, I would just take my dog outside for a few minutes and stand right by the door to my building.  As I began to see that nothing bad happened, I started taking her for a short walk...not too far (just in case I needed to get back to my condo...irrational fear). 

Then I started getting mad that this anxiety was taking my life from me.  It's hot and humid but I started getting outside and running during the day.  Sure, my heart beat faster and I was out of breath...but it didn't kill me.  I'm getting stronger now and the anxiety is diminishing.         Don't allow the anxiety to steal any more of your life.

Fabulous story!  I do get out and walk, but my stomach is always so on the edge (nausea) that there's no way I can run.  I sure would if I could.  I love the story and am glad that it's working for you.  ~~mbr

This is a great post, thanks for sharing.  Very inspiring.  It's funny because just before I read this I was eating breakfast.  I got a new prescription for Buspar, after a very bad experience with Prozac.  I was scared to take it...and I was thinking a "normal" person would take this pill a doctor prescribed without thinking twice, but I'm terrified of it.  I had the thought "fear and anxiety are running my life"...sometimes it just makes me sad, but other times it does make me MAD and frustrated.  I have been thinking of trying something similar to what you've described.  I can go for walks around the neighborhood (which is a marked improvement from about a month ago), but I'm scared to go to places like grocery stores, or to ride the city bus by myself. I can't leave the house without water and a quick-sugar snack (even though I do not have diabetes, or a blood sugar problem).  Even if it is a short trip, if I don't pack these items in my bag I will panic.... I was thinking of challenging myself to ride the bus alone, take a quick trip to the grocery store, or "forget" my snack when I leave the house.

Congratulations on your progress, and I hope you continue to do well!

kehp,

i used to do the same thing with the watter bottle and snack (i'm not diabetic, either).  for the first 5 weeks or so post benzo i had incredible dry mouth so i got used to carry water with me.  then i realized it became some kind of weird OCD thing....i felt anxious if i didn't have it.

i started forcing myself to leave the house without and and now i don't even think about it anymore.

my suggestion to you would be to do the same.  try leaving the house on short trips without the water and snack.  i bet soon your mind with break that habit as you see that nothing goes wrong if you don't have it.  the rational side of my brain finally kicked in when i realized that i don't see everyone else walking around in life with water bottles...i don't need it to survive.  i can go several hours without water, etc.

keep us posted on your progress...and let me know when you take your first bus ride!  :P

I noticed I done the same thing with water too....didn't want to risk passing out in public and water seemed to keep me calm..but it's proven that those suffering from anxiety are more likely to be dehydrated anyway LOL

Then I got to thinking my blood sugar might bottom out when I'm in the store so I always kept a big sucker in my mouth...helped as far as distraction went but really I was doing myself more harm than good from loading up on the sugars haha.

Exercise is proven to help combat anxiety..some folks it makes them worse but I think they are more sensitive to the increase in heart rate and the adrenaline rush gives them a panic spell but in the long run if those kind of folks can deal with the initial, then they'll find that their overall anxiety goes away.

Great post!!

OOOOOHHH  I love the post!  I once read that during flight or fight if you run that will trick your brain into thinking that you got away.  Same idea.  What a great inspirational thing to read.    Thanks for posting.  I used to love to run but with the low energy thing right now all I can do iswalk.    Maybe I'll push myself and run anyway.  Maybe it'll sweat some of this drug out as an added benefit.

:)

Glad things are going well.  I've got mad at anxiety or depression before and made it rpetty much goa way also.  Lately I ahven't got mad really, but somehow have felt great again.

Wow L123 sounds like how I felt yesterday.  I layed on my side last night and my pulse went to 90.  I had a blood pressure cuff on and had my daughter talk to me.  Took it again and it went down.  I guess that's anxiety.  I am going to push myself today again and I will post if I am still here  LOL