Driving phobia?

[Gh...]

Hello. I was suffering with brain fog and slight symptoms of DR for a couple months before trying benzos. That feeling made me really uncomfortable driving, nevertheless it didn't stop me. Then one fateful night I decide to try Xanax that wasn't prescribed to me. I took 1.5mg. To my knowledge, I didn't really feel anything, but what do you know, the next day my brain fog was completely gone, I actually felt clear headed for the first time in a long time! My daily commute the next day was a breeze, it felt great to be driving comfortably again! A few months later I was having pretty bad brain fog and didn't feel good overall on that particular day. On the way home, I was extremely paranoid driving on the highway. It seemed like I was having a mini panic attack, I was terrified, I felt like I was going to pass out at any given moment. I stuck through it and got home, as soon as I arrived I took a Xanax (that was prescribed to me now, btw). I realize now that I was most likely going through withdrawal because at the time I did not take Xanax every day and must have gone a while in between doses. I am currently taking 1-2mg daily, about 4 days out of the week I take 2mg. I've been taking that same dosage for over 2 years. I have built a tolerance towards the drug because it does not relax me while driving anymore, I'm sure if I took more, it would. I now have a CRIPPLING fear of driving on the highway and haven't done so in months. I get the same faint feeling every time. Driving around the city is not too bad (although some days it definitely can be). I'm scared to start a taper because the feeling of the brain fog with DR ramps up to the max. I feel like my body is in auto pilot and I am not in control of it, everything is hazy. But I know it's something that must be done. Has anybody experienced something similar to this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

[dd...]

The initial discomfort was almost certainly due to some anxiety.  The Xanax obviously hid that anxiety so you felt fine until it wore off.  Tapering will likely cause a return of that anxious feeling, and may manifest itself as DP/DR or brain fog or maybe something else.  I'd suggest you find a good therapist to help you learn how to cope with your anxiety without needing the drugs.  It will take some time to learn these skills.  I wouldn't begin a taper until you've learned how to cope.

fwiw - I didn't have difficulties driving prior to or during my benzo use, but once I withdrew (I c/t'd) I did become a lot less confident about driving for a few months.  It felt a little overwhelming to me at times.  Eventually, that fear went away.

I was definitely very anxious before my benzo use. Learning to cope before I taper is a great idea.

I will def try what you suggest, thank you and wish me luck!  :laugh:

[dd...]

Good luck!

Not all pdocs seem equipped to actually give therapy to their clients.  Many only seem to be able to hand out pills.  So don't be afraid to find a pdoc or therapist who can actually help you.  I fired a therapist once. 

Also realize that for there to be a breakthrough, you will have to change the way that you think about driving.  The panic you feel is your mind telling you that you're thinking about this wrong.  The old way of dealing with that bad feeling was to cover up the feeling with the drug, but you were still thinking about driving in a negative way.  Now you get to find a new way to think about driving instead of relying on the drug.  A good therapist will help you learn how to do that.  Again, it will take some time.

It was just driving, which made me understand how bad I felt by Xanax. It shouldn´t really be used for more than a few weeks, and then you can be addicted. Side effects may come quickly; anxiety, sweating and sleep problems.

I was a very bad driver, and started driving too fast. Became irritated and angry, with almost everything.

But now, I no longer need to worry about police control in traffic. Would they test me? What would happen, in a traffic accident, and I had Benzo in the body? And, I had a fear of driving.

This, made me really want to stop Benzo. Experienced so much side effects, and it got worse and worse. This, was the best decision of my life. It's tough, but a very big relief to be free! :)

GhostTown  ive been on ativan for over 5 years never really had problems i couldent handle until last september i was having panic attacks every time i drove some where i start to feel like i cant see  even tho my vision is fine then  ill start to get dizzy n feel like i might pass out so i lost the ability to drive all togther for  8 months  i recently started  driving again but cant go far its like there a bubble i have to stay in or something will happend but i push myself like i did today to go to the bank and its not even a mile away from home n i had all those anxiety symptoms come hit me all at once today but i pushed through n my anxiety was sky high but it did not boil over into a panic attack 

jumpman23  glad you were able to get that far brotha, I know how hard it can be!

Little by little we’ll get through this!!