Diazepam substitution aggravating GERD-shall I change to Librium-HELP PLEASE

[...]

Been on Diazepam since mid Jan prescribed by my then new psychopharmacologist-a good doc-to get off of the last .75 remnants of Lorazepam (been on since Aug 2015-highest dose 2.5 mgs)-worked-was off 3-4-18. Left w/9mgs Diazepam. Down to 6mgs Diaz BUT 5-17-18 all of a sudden terrible acid reflux/GERD and even .25 cuts before were very rough.

Mayo Clinic and FDA warn that Diazepam can bring on or aggravate GERD. Have tried omeprazole-interacts w/Diaz-made me sicker; Aloe Vera juice-made me sick; DGL licorice-spiked my BP and I have BP issues but controlled w/Clonidine now; and now trying Pepcid regular 10mgs 2x-"might' be helping-not sure. Just been 2 days.

My doc suggested transitioning to Librium which is supposedly less potent, but lasts in your system even longer that Diaz. Anyone have acid reflux from taking Librium (Chlordiazepoxide)? Anyone had withdrawal experience with Librium (which would likely be a low dose equiv to 6mgs Diaz? I NEED ADVICE FROM MY BENZO COLLEAGUES. Thanks.

Librium is very similar to Valium. Less potent just means you have to take more to get the equivalent dose. Librium has a slightly slower onset than Valium, but not much. It does not last longer in your system than Valium. It breaks down into almost the same active metabolites, but faster than Valium breaks down.

In the USA it only comes in capsules. It is not stable in an aqueous solution which makes doing a liquid taper very annoying. I'm tapering off of it. It is gentler than Xanax, but that's not saying much! I still have to taper slowly and suffer the typical w/d symptoms.

I have never had GERD from anything, including any benzo, so I can't help you with that. There doesn't seem to be much info on Librium out there. I think that's because it's not used much outside of alcohol detox any more.

Here's a reliable benzodiazepine comparison chart.

https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

I have GERD and many things trigger it. I take Prilosec 20 mgs when I first get up. I get the capsules, open them up and mix the granules and a pill inside with applesauce. I then drink a glass of warm water. For some reason, swallowing pills whole stirs up my GERD. Do not crush or chew Prilosec (Omeprazole) because they are time released. I then follow it with a banana and more applesauce mixed with plain non fat yogurt in 30 minutes after I take it. It is usually 1 hour before I take my first dose of Xanax which I mix with water and take. I also take 5 mgs of prozac  at the same time which I make into a liquid. I then follow the Xanax and Prozac with applesauce (unsweetened) and another glass of warm water. When it is time for breakfast which is usually 2 hours later, if I find that I am getting heart burn, I take about 1/4th teaspoon of Old Amish Formula "Stops Acid Refux In About 1 Minute" in about 1/4 cup of warm water. I follow that by another maybe 4-6 oz of warm water. Be sure to rinse your mouth after the Old Amish because apple cider vinegar can erode your teeth.

I have found that this helps me by trial and error. I do not know if it will help you, but it might be worth a try. It is a bit of a long process, but GERD is miserable when it acts up.

Blue

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have any advice, only empathy, for I have similar issues. I also take diazepam—been taking it for about ten years—and it's begun to upset my stomach on a regular basis, but it's definitely a withdrawal symptom (for me). Whenever I'm tapering, I get awful heartburn, indigestion, nausea, and cramps in the lower G.I. on and off, constantly. Now that I've been experiencing tolerance withdrawals over the past few months (taking 5mg 3x daily). I typically feel the worst in the morning hours. Once the Valium starts working—typically about an hour after I take a dose, I usually feel significantly better (symptoms will usually go away completely for a while) and for a few hours afterwards.

I eat a lot of ginger, but that's because my main symptom is nausea. However, concerning heartburn; just from talking to other people with GERD and acid reflux, I've gathered that long-term use of antacids actually makes heartburn worse.

I hope you feel better!