Aging, part 2

[co...]

Some days it seems that I have bounced back and look like my old self but there are still the rough days where I feel and look like crap.  Dry skin bags under eyes, etc etc.  MY theory is since benzos are like alcohol they dry out the skin  and age you in WD because of all the built up time on benzos.  What do you guys think?  Does your skin and youthful glow ever heal 100%?  What have you guys done to combat it, recently.

If I may ask, how old are you?  Please don't feel obligated to answer this question.  How you look is age relative and how you take care of yourself, benzos or not.

Benzo withdrawal does tend to "age" our appearance - many, many others have experienced the same thing.  I believe it interferes with the production of collagen.  Don't worry, your skin tone will return as you heal. 

• 5 weeks later...
Benzos and all psychiatric drugs age the body. It speeds aging and damages cells. They are nasty toxins.

Ive noticed age spots appearing a lot more. Has anyone noticed this?

Shania

Come to think of it yes, both sides, near the forehead.

• 3 weeks later...
I heard before that "age is mind over matter' =(If you don't mind it doesn't matter). I guess this is partly true; and when it comes to benzos I think that it does have an effect in early aging  depending on the individual and circumstances; I know of someone here that she said aged 10 years, with gray hair, wrinkles before her time, etc...but after some months of her jump, she began to recover with proper diet, exercise and skin care. In my case, I am 58yrs and had been somewhat 'vain' taking care of my body and skin for many years, and after a brutal withdrawal (still suffering) I have managed to keep the glow in my face with proper skin care; however, because I have developed severe exercise intolerance I haven't been able to continue with my exercise routines as before so my body skin became saggy and weak; slowly  I am trying now to lift some weights and it is paying off. I do cover the gray with organic/natural hair color though. The age spots can also be related to genetics, sun damaged, and liver issues. I don't have a tendency to age spots since I have 'Mediterranean skin' but as soon as I am under the sun for a period of time my freckles get bigger and develop new ones; and in the winter they shrink. I use unrefined coconut oil as a sun filter since it is natural and doesn't have all those chemical fillers that regular sunblocks have. So take care of your skin and keep hydrated as much as you can.

I heard before that "age is mind over matter' =(If you don't mind it doesn't matter). I guess this is partly true; and when it comes to benzos I think that it does have an effect in early aging  depending on the individual and circumstances; I know of someone here that she said aged 10 years, with gray hair, wrinkles before her time, etc...but after some months of her jump, she began to recover with proper diet, exercise and skin care. In my case, I am 58yrs and had been somewhat 'vain' taking care of my body and skin for many years, and after a brutal withdrawal (still suffering) I have managed to keep the glow in my face with proper skin care; however, because I have developed severe exercise intolerance I haven't been able to continue with my exercise routines as before so my body skin became saggy and weak; slowly  I am trying now to lift some weights and it is paying off. I do cover the gray with organic/natural hair color though. The age spots can also be related to genetics, sun damaged, and liver issues. I don't have a tendency to age spots since I have 'Mediterranean skin' but as soon as I am under the sun for a period of time my freckles get bigger and develop new ones; and in the winter they shrink. I use unrefined coconut oil as a sun filter since it is natural and doesn't have all those chemical fillers that regular sunblocks have. So take care of your skin and keep hydrated as much as you can.

I'm 58 too and I am 2 years off benzos, and have had lots of fireworks in life over the last 5 years. I just made it off benzos, and into retirement with a lot of plans, and yet my life is in question again. Not one thing can be simple for me. Will I survive this pain?

Right now my joints and muscles are killing me at 3 points: My shoulders both chronically out of line with pain, "mild" arthritis in my hip, and, oh joy! my TMJ came back from way way back just before benzos.

Right now I am trying to figure out what is simply aging and what is going to improve by healing. I started a stretching and strengthening regimen at home for the last year. You won't be sorry if you do this. It can catch up with you. Bad joints are the death of people, I swear. I try to get out for exercise or an errand every day.

Hey drag dog:

It's good that you are trying to exercise and stay active. I too have arthritis/DDD and osteoporosis on top of everything else; however, I am bone pain free at the moment; except from the pain from my GI issues. I bought me an inversion table, go to the chiro, and practice Tai Chi, Yoga, and exercises in the salt water pool which are of great help for  me.

I went through a phase of back pain that lasted eight months, through my tapering, when I fell last year. Injections didn't work, made it worse. Doc prescribed Meloxicam and that is when all my GI issues started and Advil gave me Gastritis at the end.  Fortunately, I found a good PT and taught me how to strengthen my core, back, and balance. I also went to the acunpucturist and I have been bone pain free since January.

Men also suffer from osteoporosis, but many don't get diagnosed properly. For this I am going to Osteostrong which is a new technology to create bone density in a safe manner without lifting hard ways and without hard drugs. I believe is also helping a lot. Depending on where you live, you may find a franchise nearby. I truly recommend it.

I believe that you also answered your own question about not living in the moment. I cannot stress enough how important it is to learn how to do this. Living with chronic pain is very hard, but we still have the power to change our thoughts and perspective in life. Having faith is a very big part of  my life, if it weren't for my faith I would have committed suicide a long time ago.

Other things that help me deal with pain are essential oils, an anti-inflammatory diet, staying hydrated, hot baths with epsom salts, magnesium (I learnt how to make a spray from magnesium flakes to rub it on my joints), cold and heat)

Arthritis can definitely be part of aging; however benzo withdrawal intensifies our already fragil CNS and a lot of us develop all kinds of pains that we never experience before. We cannot fight getting older, but we can find ways to diminish our sorrows and pains. Surrender and trust in God!

Great response! I am going to take a little time to absorb it. But I do have one question: Did you ever have trouble after sitting at the computer too much? I think I am succumbing to something having to do with this right now. I invested in a relax the back chair which will arrive next month. But I have thrown money at problems before and gotten an education.

It seems to me I like to lean in at the computer and it may be a problem, but I have no physical or furniture method to fix this right now. There are vision issues, getting a correct desk, chair, right distance, etc. I wonder if anyone else has made a study of this kind of thing.

About the computer issue, Oh yes did I have issues! First of all, I worked as a translator for a long time behind a computer, and I developed carpal tunnel and lower back issues. For the carpal tunnel I had to wear braces for awhile and lay of typing periodically; for the back issues I had to learn how to do chair/yoga stretches and get me a donut cushing. At the time I was working in a hospital that wouldn't provide ergonomic chairs/furniture; so everything was out of balance...it was terrible!

You need to make your working space as ergonomically feasible as possible for your needs. It will pay off! So hopefully your chair will work. Mind your posture at all times, even when you are talking on the phone. My work wouldn't even provide headphones to speak on the phone, and I had to do a bunch of interpretations and my neck suffered from being crooked all the time. I don't work there anymore, thank God!

Have you heard of the McKenzie techniques. Look it up, it has saved my back. I never thought that just laying flat on my stomach would save my life!

Good luck,

About the computer issue, Oh yes did I have issues! First of all, I worked as a translator for a long time behind a computer, and I developed carpal tunnel and lower back issues. For the carpal tunnel I had to wear braces for awhile and lay of typing periodically; for the back issues I had to learn how to do chair/yoga stretches and get me a donut cushing. At the time I was working in a hospital that wouldn't provide ergonomic chairs/furniture; so everything was out of balance...it was terrible!

You need to make your working space as ergonomically feasible as possible for your needs. It will pay off! So hopefully your chair will work. Mind your posture at all times, even when you are talking on the phone. My work wouldn't even provide headphones to speak on the phone, and I had to do a bunch of interpretations and my neck suffered from being crooked all the time. I don't work there anymore, thank God!

Have you heard of the McKenzie techniques. Look it up, it has saved my back. I never thought that just laying flat on my stomach would save my life!

Good luck,

I'll do just that. Do you know if there is a kind of professional that consults for ergonomic activity, for an individual. I think I need remedial help with it. I think I got exhausted and strained working too hard on something that was too involving.

Drag Dog,

Sorry to say this...100mg of Zoloft , Remeron and Gabapantin????:( :( You are still on drugs my friend.

I couldn't tolerate 50mg of Zoloft , can not imagine taking a 100mg..Nasty drug >:( >:(>:(

G

Drag Dog,

Sorry to say this...100mg of Zoloft , Remeron and Gabapantin????:( :( You are still on drugs my friend.

I couldn't tolerate 50mg of Zoloft , can not imagine taking a 100mg..Nasty drug >:( >:(>:(

G

I don't remember saying I was off drugs.