Abrupt change from Clonazepam to Valium?

[Ye...]

My doctor wants to abruptly change me from clonazepam to Valium. I'm worried because I've had a horrible time with clonazepam when I've missed some dosages.

Is an abrupt change okay? Would it produce withdrawal effects? Or is the slow transition over a few weeks the best idea?

I take .75mg clonazepam daily.

My doctor wants to abruptly change me from clonazepam to Valium. I'm worried because I've had a horrible time with clonazepam when I've missed some dosages.

Is an abrupt change okay? Would it produce withdrawal effects? Or is the slow transition over a few weeks the best idea?

I take .75mg clonazepam daily.

I think I saved this just for you when I was considering a substitution taper. It is the Professor Ashton manual about getting off Benzos. There is information in there about substitution taper and how to cross over. But your doctor would have to be co operative with you and follow Ashton's study and conclusions.

https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Blue

If there isnt a reason to switch abruptly, most people find it more comfortable to do it gradually. Your dose of 0.75 mg K is approximately equal to 15 mg valium.

You could discuss something like this with your doctor:

Step one: 0.5 mg K and 5 mg valium. See how you are feeling. Sleepy all the time (try a little less on the next exchange)? agitated (try a touch more, or consider tapering the klonopin from here keeping the valium as a buffer)? OK (keep this same exchange rate)? Wait 1-2 weeks (1 if feeling good, 2 if not so good) taking the same combination every day

Step 2: 0.25 mg K and 7.5-12 mg valium depending on what you and your doc decided in step 1. Wait 1-2 weeks (1 if feeling good, 2 if not so good) taking the same combination every day

Step 3: no K and 10-18 mg valium depending on what you and your doc decided about how step 2 felt. Wait 1-2 weeks (1 if feeling good, 2 if not so good) taking the same combination every day

Step 4: begin to taper valium.

Do you see how crossing gradually would allow you to adjust how much you are taking, based on the right equivalent for you?

Good luck!

JKS

PS- sorry about your story. That seems like a lot of drugs to throw at an acute problem!

• 3 weeks later...

I was on .5 MG Clonazepam twice a day and was getting rebound anxiety and tolerance withdrawal.  My plan was to follow the Ashton Manual and gradually switch to the appropriate level of Valium (10 MG twice a day).  But the Clonazepam was giving me rebound anxiety two hours after I took it, so I wound up doing my switch in 2 days with no adverse effects.

Keep in mind that everyone is different, but I was able to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a question.  Does Valium have the same rebound anxiety effects as klonopin? I'm just wondering if there is something that I can do to help that.

I'm getting rebound anxiety with Valium, but I seem to be one of the rarer cases.

It only lasts 4/5 hours for me, but everyone is different and I'm sure you'll be fine!