Announcement: It is with regret... ×

Positive experiences, of family or friends, during the withdrawal?

[tr...]

My ex, is absolutely amazing. He has taken care of me since day 1. During the first month, I had to be with him. I couldn´t cut the food, pour milk, or close and open the door. All I could do, was chew the food. He has washed me, dried my tears and listened. He has paid my bills, fixed the declaration and my car.

In month 2, I wanted to move home again. Because, I had small cramps, he was worried. He rang in the morning, in the middle of the day, and at night. If I didn´t answer, he came as fast as he could.

Now, I´m in love! He wants us to move together, but I think it will be too much for him. So, we wait until I'm fine. He has helped me with cramps, DR/DP, and anyone would have screamed: RUN! But, he didn´t do that, he stayed with me.

If I had not gone through this hell, we would never have found back to each other. I never thought, this could happen, but you're never too old to fall in love!

Positive experiences of familj or friends, during the withdrawal? :)

I've actually been really moved by how supportive people in my life have been.

When I decided to get off the Valium, I knew it was going to be really difficult and that I was going to be very sick. I decided that I had nothing to be ashamed of, and resolved to be open and honest about my experience. I was worried people would think I was attention-seeking or dramatic, but this is a significant process I'm going through.

My friends and family are constantly reaching out with support and encouragement. They ask how I'm feeling, they cheer on my progress, and they understand that there are things I'm just not up for doing right now. I've grown closer with my family...we're estranged and they have been thrilled I'm reaching out. My nephews, who are 3 and 1.5, recognize me now when I come over.

Last night they smiled at me as soon as I came in the room, and my heart about melted.  :smitten:

Also, I'm married to a superhero. My husband has been caring, gentle, infinitely patient, and comforting throughout all of this. It's like he's getting me back after years of benzo-fog, on my window days I've been able to really feel how sharp and beautiful the world around me can be and it's brought us closer. Like we've gone back to how things were when we were younger.

I have been very fortunate with my friends .. my closest friends have been superb, more supportive than I could ever have possibly wished for, other friends have been supportive also but am in contact with them less frequently, some family members have disappointed me greatly but that is life.  However, I think it is more common for people to feel isolated and often unsupported during this journey and I feel very much for everyone in that situation.  Perhaps our constant campaigning and awareness raising may help to create greater understanding of the immense difficulties of withdrawal from all drugs of dependence  .. I do hope so anyway.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

My beloved husband.  More than twenty years ago we were headed for divorce.  We'd stopped communicating.  We'd stopped everything. 

He got diagnosed with leukemia and given six months to live.  We stayed together as family and friends and began that fight.  Before I go any further.. He's fine!  We beat it and any time he leaves remission we beat it the hell away again.  I believe he will outlive all of us.  I've happily taken care of him all these years.  He's such a special being, that it never was a chore. 

And then.. my year of benzo hell happened and suddenly our roles were reversed.  He stepped up in such a way that I fell in love again.  He did all the cooking.  All the shopping and cleaning and even helped me in and out of the bathtub.  He told me over and over that I would get thru it and held me when I cried.

We're happier than we've ever been, now.  We face each day with grins about our old age grunts and groans.  He still does all the cooking.  He's much better at it than I am and why mess with success.  :) 

To have a happy ending or beginning twenty years later is wonderful.  I know how blessed I am to have had him help me.  Sooo many people have nobody.  Well.. nobody but our family on this forum.

Libs

• 2 weeks later...

My beloved husband.  More than twenty years ago we were headed for divorce.  We'd stopped communicating.  We'd stopped everything. 

He got diagnosed with leukemia and given six months to live.  We stayed together as family and friends and began that fight.  Before I go any further.. He's fine!  We beat it and any time he leaves remission we beat it the hell away again.  I believe he will outlive all of us.  I've happily taken care of him all these years.  He's such a special being, that it never was a chore. 

And then.. my year of benzo hell happened and suddenly our roles were reversed.  He stepped up in such a way that I fell in love again.  He did all the cooking.  All the shopping and cleaning and even helped me in and out of the bathtub.  He told me over and over that I would get thru it and held me when I cried.

We're happier than we've ever been, now.  We face each day with grins about our old age grunts and groans.  He still does all the cooking.  He's much better at it than I am and why mess with success.  :) 

To have a happy ending or beginning twenty years later is wonderful.  I know how blessed I am to have had him help me.  Sooo many people have nobody.  Well.. nobody but our family on this forum.

Libs

What a wonderful story.  I do not have any close family living near to me but I do have some wonderful friends who have done more than I would ever have expected of them.  For that I am very grateful.

Thanks so much for these!

Add my Heroic Son... His few but quality friends sorta call me "aunt Mom" Who at 23 was making manful plans with a bro to "room-mate" & leave the nest - the two of 'em, seeing I wasn't getting better, couldn't work - agreed "We can't do this".

In the months it took figuring out "It's the sleeping pills", he's worked underpaid full time, helped with bills - gently tried to cheer and encourage ... rarely complained or nagged.

Though his whole life he's been around "Recovering Alky's & Addicts" - no, he doesn't understand THIS. The only way he might is by my actions.

We have no other family, at all, friends have moved to far away to drive (how we keep our 30 year old beaters rolling, I know not) yet - we count ourself blessed.

LC

your ex?! that's something incredible.

my mind likes to fantasize about my ex coming back to help me, although that is impossible now because he has a fiance, actually he is probably married by now.

my version is my mom. she has stood by me unfailingly throughout this entire ordeal, from day 1. shes my 24/7 caregiver and encourages me and supports me. i'm scared to lose her. she's my rock and my savior literally.