Switching from Xanax to Klonopin

Hello,

As some of you know I have (unfortunately) been here before.  Managed to keep things under control until loss of a job in November of 09.  Had unimaginable stress due to money, son's autism........the list could go on.  Spoke with my PDoc who said verbatim "Xanax" is the least addictive of the benzos and she would not sub Klon/Valium to taper down from 6mg per day of X  WTF??????  Anyway, have found new Dr. who I spoke extensively on the phone with an is willing to attempt a very slow taper with Klonipin, which I have used before, getting down to 1.5mg per day, which was perfect.  I do have diagnosed and beleive it to be true from a child GAD and have self medicated over the years.  I dont want to be overdosed yet still be the happy normal person I am able to be who is controlling their mental illness.  My basic question is, what dosage of K should I be taking to make this a smooth transition.  I like to have the information to present to the dr regarding this and this forum has many suggestions that the Drs are not necessarily aware of.

Thanks for your time.

6mg Xanax

1800 Gabapentin

Hi Monkey3,

I'm glad you were able to find a Dr willing to help you, but understand you'll need to help him understand the finer points of benzo withdrawal.

Klonopin and Xanax are as you know the same in equivalency, but you'll want to do a nice slow crossover to minimize any problems.  I'd use Professor Ashtons crossover schedules located here: http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm  and tailor it to your needs.  By that I mean, slowly substitute the Klonopin for the Xanax over a period of a few weeks just to be on the safe side.

I could be giving you a suggestion that's too cautious, I'm sure others will stop by to let you know their opinions.

Pam

Pam,

Thanks for your Quick response. So I can't just switch from one to the other?  My appt is on Tuesday not sure if he is familiar with Ashton protocol. Prljecting here but what if he says its ok just to change over?  I have just enough X to last me till Tues nite?  Thanks for your time.

I've heard others say that while they're equivalent in strength, they do have some different properties.  I'd rather see you do a slow crossover, but if you can't then I'm sure you'll be fine.  It's just unpleasant no matter how you approach it.  Ladyh48 switched from Xanax to Klonopin, here's how she did it just in case you might get some cooperation from your Dr.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=13123.0

Hello Monkey,

I'm in the process of switching xanax (2.125mg) to klonopin. My doctor said that I could do it "over night", she explained that klonopin will protect me from having w/d symptoms from Xanax. I'm glad I didnt believe her. Klonopin has a longer half life so it takes more time to build up in the body.

So far I have switched my regular xanax pills (1.125mg dosed 3 times a day) to equivalent amount of klonopin. I did the switch in about a week: monday replaced morning dose, wednesday afternoon dose and friday evening dose. It wasnt easy: I had some w/d sx from xanax and klonopin made me depressed and tired. But after about 3 weeks I felt stabilizing and now I'm feeling ok.

I still have to switch my xanax XR pills (2x0.5mg). Planning to do it after a few weeks.

Monkey, if I can help u in any way u can also PM me. Good luck!  :thumbsup:

Wantalife