Considering Substitute taper

[Bl...]

I have started a slow taper from 1.25 mgs of Xanax. I am considering changing over to Klonopin as it is a longer acting Benzo and may make it easier for me. I did taper off Xanax starting in 2012 and completed the taper in 2013.

I relapsed in Feb 2017 and am now at the dosage mentioned above minus .0625 of my 12:30 dose

Currant Xanax:

0.5 mgs at 8 am

0.25 mgs at 12:30 minus .0625 mgs

0.5 mgs at bedtime

If I do decide to substitute Klonopin, how would I do that? Valium is not the preferred choice for me.

Thank you,

Blue

Why am I not getting an answer? Have I ask the question in the wrong part of BBs? If so, please direct me to where I need to go.

Thank you,

Blue

Bluebell,

You’re in the right place. I have no idea why no one responds. As far as I’m concerned, this is a constant and pervasive problem on bb now.

If there are people here who do not know answers to someone’s question(which I do think is the case), then where are the Moderators and administrators? They answers questions on the titration section quite a bit from what I’ve observed.

In regards to your question, I crossed from X to C. I was taking one dose of X per day (very unusual as I’ve been told by 3 pdocs, but true) and I split that to 2 doses of K since it has a longer half life than X. I don’t know if you want to continue taking 3 doses per day or not, but I have read that people do take 3 doses of K per day.

K works by “steady state accumulation” while X works by “peak and fall.” This the main reason why K lasts longer in your body than X does. I can only go my experience as far as how fast you will feel K begin to work in your system. Some people will feel it the next day (or so I’ve read), while others take longer. I did my crossover slowly and didn’t feel K’s effect for 10 days.

As far as the cross in general, you can substitute the entire .25 mg am dose of X for .25 mg of K and continue the other 2 doses of X while you wait for K to take effect, or you can break up the am dose of X into halves or fourths and substitute an equal amount of K for the X.

That’s the basic premise here; keep the substitutions equal until you’re taking all K.

Your doctor may need to provide you with both X and K Rxs in order to make this cross. Or maybe you have enough X on hand to cross w/o needing any extra X. I luckily had another refill of X left to complete the cross.

Hope this helps you, and that this made sense.

Just trying to answer your question, about answering questions. I take .5mg Xanax at 6pm. I take another dose .5mg at 8pm and go to bed. I read for 30 minutes and then go to sleep. I could never take any amount of a morning. I wake up about 4am and drink a cup of coffee. Then I exercise doing push-ups and stretching. I work hard. I can't have my head into that stuff at all during the daytime. It seems to mostly wear off within a half hour of having woke up. I never even heard the word Klonopin until I joined up.

I tried to quit about a week or so ago. It went something like this . . .  .50 day 1 - .25 day 2 - 0 on day 3. About the 3rd day of nothing I thought I was going have some serious health crisis. I had NO idea this drug was that dangerously addictive. I found this forum because I need help, and support. I really wish I had some answers for you. I am just guessing. . . Stick to what you are doing. . .Just plan to do slightly less of it in the near future. I start downgrading this coming Saturday. .25 at 6pm and .50 at 8pm. I already do that sometimes, all I am doing is enforcing it as permanent.  That's a 25% off the top cut. I might be there for a week or two until I make another cut.  That 6pm med will be first to go. Then work on the 8pm at 5% per 2 weeks. I'm glad you are here. I really wish I knew what to say.  My favorite quote. . ." It's best to know - When you don't know. " I see that being me, and a whole lot of other people on here.

If anyone else has a response to this persons question. Please answer. . .And just skip my comment. It is not my intention to troll this thread.

Best Wishes - Jake

Why am I not getting an answer? Have I ask the question in the wrong part of BBs? If so, please direct me to where I need to go.

Thank you,

Blue

It could be because this is a difficult question. There is no set protocol to crossover from X to K that I am aware of. Ashton uses V Jim's substitution program uses V as well.

I have started a slow taper from 1.25 mgs of Xanax. I am considering changing over to Klonopin as it is a longer acting Benzo and may make it easier for me. I did taper off Xanax starting in 2012 and completed the taper in 2013.

I relapsed in Feb 2017 and am now at the dosage mentioned above minus .0625 of my 12:30 dose

Currant Xanax:

0.5 mgs at 8 am

0.25 mgs at 12:30 minus .0625 mgs

0.5 mgs at bedtime

If I do decide to substitute Klonopin, how would I do that? Valium is not the preferred choice for me.

Thank you,

Blue

Hi Bluebell-

I personally have not done a cross over. After researching & much thought, if I had to substitute 1.25mg of Xanax with 1.25mg Klonopin this is what I would do. I would start by substituting .125mg at a time from 1 dose at a time. Increasing .125mg of K every 3 days while decreasing same amount of X. This method will take approx. 30 days to substitute 1.25mg X with 1.25mgK.

Example:

Am                  Noon                  Pm          Total dose 

X      K            X      K              X      K            mg

#1        .5  /  0          .25  /  0            .5  /  0            1.25

#2        .5  /  0          .125/.125          .5  /  0            1.25

#3        .5  /  0              0  /.25            .5  /  0            1.25

#4      .375/.125            0  /.25            .5  /  0            1.25

#5        .25 /.25              0  /.25            .5  /  0            1.25

#6      .125/.375            0  /.25            .5  /  0            1.25

#7          0  /.5                0  /.25            .5  /  0            1.25

#8          0  /.5                0  /.25          .375/ .125        1.25

#9          0  /.5                0  /.25            .25 /.25            1.25

#10        0  /.5                0  /.25          .125/.375          1.25

#11        0  /.5                0  /.25              0  /  .5            1.25

This is the best I can come up with. Maybe someone else who has done this sucessfully will chime in with what has worked for them. Hope you find a method that works well for you!

:smitten:

Hi Bluebell :smitten:

Why am I not getting an answer?

In the peak periods I used to pass 2-3 hours a day when not more to reply. While some buddies found my time useful, family members protested more and more because they said I did nothing but passing my time on Internet :D.  So I made a commitment to my family to pass about one hour a day to support buddies to kind of payback what I have received.

But what is one hour a day on behalf of this BB? It is just a tiny drop in the ocean of human suffering I'm witnessing day after day. Every single day I can see new buddies joining with our moderators unrelentingly welcoming them and while I'm happy because I know it is the first step to their journey to freedom,...I suffer! I do because if I write to each of them to guide them on how to go further down, just that, it will take me again more hours a day. Should I start to give my viewpoint to each problem I know I can help then I'll pass my entire day to do that. When after 2, 3 days and the thread continues to remain desperately empty with no answer then I try to step in, but I can just not for all of them.

This is the reason and I feel sorry for having, without wanting it, added this psychological stress of waiting to the pain that you are already enduring with your sickness.

May all of us be well, happy and peaceful!

I want to thank all of you for your replies. Could someone tell me where to find Ashton's recommendations on crossing over to Valium and then tapering? Does it still exist?

Blue

Good luck!  I wish I had an answer for you but I am just (re) starting the process over. 

In reading the comments in regard to your question I think I may have found some feedback on my related question re switching from klon to valium. 

Good luck!  I wish I had an answer for you but I am just (re) starting the process over. 

In reading the comments in regard to your question I think I may have found some feedback on my related question re switching from klon to valium.

:thumbsup: