Question about 1mg Clonazepam Taper

[Ti...]

Has anyone successfully tapered off 1mg Clonazepam with a 25% cut every 2 weeks? For example 1mg to 0.875 to 0.75 to 0.625 to 0.5 to 0.375 to 0.25 to 0.125. I know the recommended cut is 10% from your current dose not the original dose every 2 weeks but can this fast taper be done?

Thank You

Has anyone successfully tapered off 1mg Clonazepam with a 25% cut every 2 weeks? For example 1mg to 0.875 to 0.75 to 0.625 to 0.5 to 0.375 to 0.25 to 0.125. I know the recommended cut is 10% from your current dose not the original dose every 2 weeks but can this fast taper be done?

Thank You

Hello Titan15-

I see you have been on 1mg clonazapam for 1.5 years. That is considered a fair amount of time to be on benzo. Are you symptomatic right now?

The majority of people in the general population who withdrawal from benzo's have minimal symptoms & heal completely with in a few weeks. Obviously the majority of  "buddies" on this forum do not fall into this category.

I would say that you can certainly try this fast taper rate & hope that you are one of the "majority" who get off this medication with ease. You can always slow down if your symptoms become unmanageable.

I did a rapid taper similar to what you are describing only from Valium. Major difference was I was on it for 20 years. It did not go well for me, so I had to reinstate & do a slow taper. It was extremely painful  & took me many years to heal. If I were in your shoes I would probably play it fairly safe & taper 10% every 10 days. This would take about 100 days.

Hello, I’m looking for advice on a taper from 1mg Clonazapam. I would like to taper as fast as I can but worries about protracted withdrawal. Is a 25% cut every two weeks to fast? Has anyone been able to do it?

Thank You

Many people have tapered successfully that fast, but you wont find many of them here, as they mostly didnt need to ask for help. It depends a little bit on how long you have been taking, and any other meds, your general health status overall. Could you add some of those things to your signature so that others can be more specific with their responses? Go to the top of the page and select Profile, then choose Forum Profile, insert drug history/timelines into the text box and click Change Profile.

I found it was easier to make small cuts, see how I felt and then do another if I was ready. Making too big of a cut can be difficult to recover from. The first time I tapered from klonopin, I tapered with the 25% every two weeks approach, and did pretty well until the end. If you ask your doctor for the 0.5 mg strength pills, those should be helpful in reducing your dose more gradually. You could discuss the possibility with your doctor of reducing by a quarter of a 0.5 mg pill every two weeks (so going down by 12.5%). That's still fast by many estimates, but could work for you, particularly if this is your first time tapering.

Good luck,

JKS

I merged your two threads that had the same question. It appears we gave you similar advice!

Take care,

JKS