Kindled Remeron(Mirtazapine)

[Bl...]

My taper was going really good. It took me awhile to stabilize on 40mg of Valium after a failed rapid detox. I finally did and was set to go. Started tapering with barely any withdrawal effects. This whole time I’ve been on 30mg of remeron but my stupid psych doc wanted me to switch to Zoloft because of the genetic testing. I agreed as I was gaining weight on remeron even though I felt like it was helping my anxiety a lot. I just don’t understand these doctors. Why in the hell would he even make that suggestion and put that in my head during a benzo taper.

Anyways shortly after cutting my dose of remeron 2-3 days later all hell broke loose. Same symptoms I got during my rapid detox off the benzo. So I went back to my original dose of remeron about a week ago still have symptoms. Could I have kindled with my remeron too now? I’m at a loss of what to do. I almost feel like the remeron is doing more then the benzo at this point now. I’m kindled in tolerance on benzos and now possibly kindled/psychically dependent on remeron but it’s not giving me the relief it was anymore. I know there’s not much people can say to me anymore but just thought I’d throw this out there and see if I could get any advice.

Thanks

BlueJay

Hi Bluejay, I have only been on Remeron for a couple of months but I can attest it truly saved my life, it doesn't make everything right but I am confident it's the only reason I can get through the day. When I first started my taper I also missed 2-3 days of benzos and that threw me into the first wave and it lasted about two weeks in a hard, going through hell kind of way; that said it passed and I stabilized by going back and doing things right.

My advice is to wait another week to stabilize and then start your taper at your own pace. From what I've extensively researched about Remeron is it takes more than 2-3 days to feel the effect of coming off, in my opinion it's just plain withdrawal what you are feeling now, those 2-3 days without the sedative effect of Remeron must have hit your fragile neurons hard and it's just that you haven't stabilized yet. The good news is that you still have the Valium in your system to help, I would stay at 30mg of Remeron and hold on until you get to a window even if it takes another week.

In my experience Psych Docs think everything is delicate but simple; withdrawal is very complicated and he probably didn't factor in the equation that Remeron was sedating you, and that makes a huge difference for us.

(Disclaimer - This is the support I can give to us that have made our own decision to use Remeron after consulting our doctor, I know it's ideal to go through withdrawal with no meds or even supplements)

Anyways shortly after cutting my dose of remeron 2-3 days later all hell broke loose. Same symptoms I got during my rapid detox off the benzo. So I went back to my original dose of remeron about a week ago still have symptoms.

BlueJay

Then your sxs probably have nothing to do with remeron!  ::)