How to describe what you're feeling.

[Da...]

I'm suffering mostly from mental symptoms and I can't describe them. My husband is tired of hearing that I'm "not feeling well" and I'm at a loss for words to explain. A headache, nausea, pain or a stomach ache he can relate to but what I'm feeling he just can't understand, this is causing serious problems in my marriage. How do you best describe what you're feeling?

I usually say, the same feeling as "constant flu with high fever." Month after month, and maybe even years. Our brain, and the nervous system recovers, and it is very unpleasant. This is the hardest thing I've ever been to.

It feels like my body is physically sick. Similar to a flu.

Physical symptoms have been the most consistent for me. But right now, I'm dealing with the mental stuff...

Which for me, is actually the most scariest!

Thanks for the replies. Yes the mental symptoms are tortuous, I'd swap them for physical symptoms at this stage. I feel like a crazy, extremely hungover person everyday. :idiot: I go to work and function like a zombie, then freaking out inside at any simple task that I have to do but I must say I feel worse when I'm at home. My home's become a really scary place to be and even though I have a husband, I feel incredibly alone and isolated. This sucks so much  :'(

Thanks for the replies. Yes the mental symptoms are tortuous, I'd swap them for physical symptoms at this stage. I feel like a crazy, extremely hungover person everyday. :idiot: I go to work and function like a zombie, then freaking out inside at any simple task that I have to do but I must say I feel worse when I'm at home. My home's become a really scary place to be and even though I have a husband, I feel incredibly alone and isolated. This sucks so much  :'(

Oh Danni I am so sorry you are having to go through this! I know exactly how you feel! My husband has gone through stages with this for the last six months.

How I explained it is "I don't feel like myself".  "I feel like I have brain damage". "I feel like it physically hurts my brain when I have to figure something out". I even said "it feels like the beginning stages of some sort of brain damage". When I told my husband I was worried that maybe i had a mild stroke i think he finally got it. I had an MRI done and we met with a highly respected brain doctor.

It was after doing a lot of research on depression/anxiety that I learned a lot of my symptoms are from that.

Husbands are notorious for wanting to stick their head in the sand when there is something wrong that they can't fix. What your husband needs to understand is that his lack of helping you and supporting you is only going to make the mental symptoms worse. It can cause you to fall deeper into depression. You in the other hand need to focus on you. I am learning this in therapy. I was so consumed about how my husband was dealing with my "issue" that I wasn't doing a single thing to help myself.  That has to stop. It took me months to realize that. .please feel free to on me because I truly know what you are dealing with.