• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Lo...]

• [Bn...]

• [to...]

• [Ar...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all. I’m planning a cut of .25 tomorrow. Wish me luck. My dad had a stroke this week. Scared me so bad. He’s out of the hospital and stable. Back to my taper.

Tozz. How are you?

Lori. What’s up with you?

Seakingpeace. You are awesome.

Thinking of all of you

Kristin

Hi all. I’m planning a cut of .25 tomorrow. Wish me luck. My dad had a stroke this week. Scared me so bad. He’s out of the hospital and stable. Back to my taper.

Tozz. How are you?

Thinking of all of you

Kristin

Hi Kristin,

I became very impatient with tapering, the Xanax was no longer helping me, just the opposite it was causing problems, I met with another Doctor (out of town) to help get me off the X so here is what happened, I was prescribed to Valium 10mg 3 times a day on 7/14, on the evening of 7/15 I had a really bad withdrawl ended up in the Hospital blood pressure 188/134, and they put me on Ativan .25mg through a IV until they made sure that my Heart was okay, after extensive testing my heart test came back 100%, during this time they kept me on .25 mg Ativan through IV every 6 hours, on 7/17 i was released from the Hospital with a Script of Ativan .50 mg to take 1/2 a tab as required until I met with my local Doctor of 20 years, I met with him on 7/18 and he gave me a script of Valium replacing the Xanax that he had prescribed me for the last 20 years 5mg 3 times a day I took the Valium from 7/18 - 7/20, and I hated it, made me feel drunk and just nasty is the only way I can describe it, so I stopped taking the Valium on the evenving of 7/20 and started back on the Ativan in the morning of 7/21 and I will stay on the Ativan until I meet back with my Doctor on 7/25 and he is working with me so I will stay on Ativan for now as required, The Good News out of this is that I have not taken any Xanax since 7/14 (8 days off), so here I am on 7/22 at 9:12 am and I have not taken anything for 10 hours and I feel okay, so I'm off of Xanax and taking it day by day, I have to say that Ativan has worked for me to get off X, Valium for me was not an option, and as of right now I have no addiction to any medications, I went through many symptoms / side effects however I can say today that I'm beginning to heal, even went to a Kim Walker Smith concert last night at the House of Blues at Disney, Very Uplifting, BTW my blood pressure is now very stable at 112/58.

Kind Regards

Tozz

Whoa. I wonder if I could do that. Sounds scary. I’m hoping to completely be off by end of August. Thanks for writing all that keep in touch.

Kristin

Kristen you are rocking your cuts!  Way to go steadily moving closer to the goal. It won’t be long now.

Wow Tozz, you went through a lot of scary stuff. It’s crazy how these medications affect us.

I'm doing a rather fast taper too from xanax. I'm down to .25 a day, wondering if it's necessary to really shave them or just bite them in half after a week until it's over? Is the last .25 a big deal vs coming off 2 mg / day ? I dropped from that to 1 mg, then to .5, then .25 over the course of a month or so. Havn't noticed too bad of symptoms.

Tozz. How are you?

Thinking of all of you

Kristin

Hi Kristin,

I became very impatient with tapering, the Xanax was no longer helping me, just the opposite it was causing problems, I met with another Doctor (out of town) to help get me off the X so here is what happened, I was prescribed to Valium 10mg 3 times a day on 7/14, on the evening of 7/15 I had a really bad withdrawl ended up in the Hospital blood pressure 188/134, and they put me on Ativan .25mg through a IV until they made sure that my Heart was okay, after extensive testing my heart test came back 100%, during this time they kept me on .25 mg Ativan through IV every 6 hours, on 7/17 i was released from the Hospital with a Script of Ativan .50 mg to take 1/2 a tab as required until I met with my local Doctor of 20 years, I met with him on 7/18 and he gave me a script of Valium replacing the Xanax that he had prescribed me for the last 20 years 5mg 3 times a day I took the Valium from 7/18 - 7/20, and I hated it, made me feel drunk and just nasty is the only way I can describe it, so I stopped taking the Valium on the evenving of 7/20 and started back on the Ativan in the morning of 7/21 and I will stay on the Ativan until I meet back with my Doctor on 7/25 and he is working with me so I will stay on Ativan for now as required, The Good News out of this is that I have not taken any Xanax since 7/14 (8 days off), so here I am on 7/22 at 9:12 am and I have not taken anything for 10 hours and I feel okay, so I'm off of Xanax and taking it day by day, I have to say that Ativan has worked for me to get off X, Valium for me was not an option, and as of right now I have no addiction to any medications, I went through many symptoms / side effects however I can say today that I'm beginning to heal, even went to a Kim Walker Smith concert last night at the House of Blues at Disney, Very Uplifting, BTW my blood pressure is now very stable at 112/58.

Kind Regards

Tozz

Tozz, this is extremely interesting!  I have to be honest, I'm struggling with the I/D W/D from the short acting X!  I'm still holding at 3.75 mgs. and hoping to make a cut next week to 3.5.  However, I truly want to make this as slow of a taper as possible.  I have read far too much on protracted withdrawal and that's the LAST thing I want to have to endure after the hell that the taper along can me.  Like you, I could not tolerate V!  It was a horrible experience!  I refused Klonopin for various reasons.  I can't help but wonder if the Ativan may be helpful once I get down to a lower dosage because the half life is "slightly" longer than Xanax. 

Please keep[ me posted on how you're making out with the Ativan.  I know that we're all different but having been on this poison for 20 years scares me.  My "goal" is to be off of this by this time next year.  I'm not rushing it as I want to give my brain time to heal with each cut.  Healing it the ultimate goal, not rushing to get off with a chance that my healing may be compromised from a taper that is too rapid for my fragile brain to handle! 

In a nutshell, my son, who is my life, graduates from NYU in May of 2020! My dream is to have been off this drug for almost a year prior with prayers that my brain will be healed or as close to it by his graduation date so that I can walk in Yankee Stadium (that's where NYU hold their graduation) with excitement, pride, and ability to enjoy his accomplishment without the dreaded anxiety, any protracted withdrawal, interdose withdrawal, etc.  He is my only son and the absolute love of my life.  Hence, it's what I'm reaching for!  It is literally my DREAM COME TRUE!

Hope all are doing well! 

Lori

Sorry for the typo's!  Ugh! My brain is literally in a fog today!  This past month has been the first time I've experiences major cog-fog!  So glad I started this taper after I finished getting my Masters Degree (4 years ago) or I probably would have failed every course!  :laugh:

I'd try are heavy decrease and listen to your body and have some on standby, just enough to kill the symptoms. It's just worked for me. I was never on 6MG of xanax tho, I capped out at 2 mgs. I'm down to .25, took about 2-3 months was on it for 10 years at 1-2 mg a day.

This Xanax is crappy stuff.

Tozz - sounds scary and messed up. Hope you can stay of or find s comfortable place.

Lori - I hope you are able to cut. Some of my earlier cuts were worse than the ones now. If that helps you. I’m still ok. I’ll be at 1 mg on Saturday.

Kristin

I'm determined not to switch over to a longer half-life drug, just seems counterproductive. If i can go 24 hours w/out .25 mg xanax and feel perfect, does that mean progress or is the drug taking a while to make me w/d?

This Xanax is crappy stuff.

Tozz - sounds scary and messed up. Hope you can stay of or find s comfortable place.

Lori - I hope you are able to cut. Some of my earlier cuts were worse than the ones now. If that helps you. I’m still ok. I’ll be at 1 mg on Saturday.

Kristin

Thanks Kristin!  I'm just not in a great place.  When I started this thread, I was!  Life throws you curve balls.  However I feel insanely bad even saying this due to what you've been through in recent months between your husband, and your father having a stroke ... the latter of which I'm so sorry that I did not address!  Me, of all people, being a grief counselor, is nothing short of shameful and embarrassing!  I am beyond sorry about what you went through.  I mean that from the bottom of my heart! 

We met when both of us were desperate and in a low place.  I was the one who initially was positive.  You have take over that role and I'm so happy and proud of you for all you have accomplished and overcome!  "Keep on keeping on!"  I sincerely hope that withing the next few weeks that I will hone my skills and talents as a therapist and plow through the necessary tasks of CBT (which I successfully teach my clients but can't seem to teach myself) and worth through my health anxiety (and other issues) that will enable me to continue on this taper journey!  How ironic.... that I was taught the skills, can work with clients to help them heal, but can't do it for myself?  UGH!

Time to TRY to sleep!  I hope all are doing well!  We will ALL get through this.  Yes, even me.  It may take me a bit longer... but I'll get there!  Love to all~

Lori

Lori. You will never be judged by me. EVER. I know this is hard. At 1.25 mgs after 6 mgs all those years. I can’t stop. It sucks. My marriage is difficult. Then my daddy had a stoke last week. My son became hateful 2 days ago and terrorized me. Said hateful things deleted me from social media. Text bombed me. I coped. Not well but I am working through it. Last night. I watch for distraction. Like news. Last night my hometown became a firestorm. It’s on FIRE. I’m far from the place. But it hurts. This morning a friends house was taken. It’s so awful.

I want my FREEDOM from Xanax. To the pain I guess. I don’t want a crappy marriage he won’t do marriage counseling. He says he doesn’t see where we are broken so it must be my fault. My son is totally unreasonable. When it’s your time. You will be ready. I’ll be there for you. It’s all good. Do not pressure yourself. Please. It won’t work.

Thinking of you

Kristin

Kristen looks like you are moving right along on your cuts!  Won’t be long now  :). I jumped today. I feel fine. It was just a tiny amount, .0625.  Almost a year and a half to get off Xanax!

I went from .5 to .25 over 2 weeks, and now break the .25's in half sometimes. I take trazadone to sleep, and it subs out the xanax need. I feel totally fine, w/ some stomach issues but not anxious. How does one "know" when it's ok to jump? Or do you just realize it when you go 3 days w/out xanax to find out how much it sucks? Wondering if it will just go away or will blow up my brain even at such a small dose.

Seakingpeace. IM SO EXCITED. DID THE HAPPY DANCE FOR YOU. YAY. YOUR OFF. YOU ARE MY HERO. I AM DOING THIS BECAUSE I FOUND YOU. YAY. PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH.

Pm me if you want. I’m so happy for you. Kristin

Kristen looks like you are moving right along on your cuts!  Won’t be long now  :). I jumped today. I feel fine. It was just a tiny amount, .0625.  Almost a year and a half to get off Xanax!

SeakingPeace,

YOU DID IT!  :thumbsup:  I'm so excited for you! ... beyond words!  You beat the beast! :)  Wow!  I literally have a tear in my eye reading your post... it's a tear of joy for you!  Words can't describe how happy I am for you - and how much HOPE you have given me! 

Despite my previous post, I went ahead and made the cut on Sunday!  Down to 3.5  Will cut again in 7-12 days.  After that, I'm Planning to holding until I get back from a family vacation on August 19th then I'll go to 3.0!  After that?  I may need to pull out the dreaded gram scale.  :idiot: 

Kristin:  Thanks for your words of encouragement!  I'm doing better. So proud of you for pounding through!  Way to go!!

Will check back soon! 

Best to all!

Love,

Lori

I went from .5 to .25 over 2 weeks, and now break the .25's in half sometimes. I take trazadone to sleep, and it subs out the xanax need. I feel totally fine, w/ some stomach issues but not anxious. How does one "know" when it's ok to jump? Or do you just realize it when you go 3 days w/out xanax to find out how much it sucks? Wondering if it will just go away or will blow up my brain even at such a small dose.

I am not quite sure why no one is responding to you. Can you remind us of your history with Xanax. There is definitely a subset that can come off easily, but it seems like some caution would be advisable, especially under.25. It would seem like some amount of congratulations is in order for you I went a year at 1mg in 2001 and came off CT with no problems. I had no idea that there was any W/D. Kind of a curse really, if I had some issues I would have learned the dangers

Hey poundtown

This whole thing is a crap shoot. Sounds like you could jump anytime. Personal choice you know. Some wait longer. I’ve seen some jump from .25 Xanax. We are all so different.

Kristin

Good luck

Well i'm reducing alcohol consumption too. To answer the question, I was one 1-2 mg a day (1 mg at least) for about 10 years. In May I dosed down to .5 three times a day. In July I was on .25 twice a day, I then went to .25 once a day, then half a .25 broken in two. Noticed a little anxiety at that dose. I took a full .25 mg this morning and was very relaxed, which shows my tolerance is dwindling. I wasn't really anxious, just HAD to do cold calls for work so it took off the edge. So, i'm at the point where a .25 in half morning and night will fend off most w/d symptoms. I took less trazadone and went to bed earlier last night and that also had a good effect. Trazadone can make you nauseus

I straight up quit drinking  before my taper, but I drank on about 3 nights a week.  So I just miss  the wine every now and then, haven't  had any since February.

Hope you do okay, sounds like your taper is going pretty okay?

My taper seems to be going well. Just waiting to jump and see what 0mg will feel like at this point. trying to draw it out, but not getting on any other drug to replace, because it would be counterproductive in my opinion with my body.