Need a new doc to offer Benzo withdrawal program

Had my first vist with my pcg and he is unfamiliar and unforgiving of any withdrawal program other than ct.  Based on my 7 years of Klonipin at 4mg daily, I am reading the available info and am quite concerned that I am in for a rough ride.  Is there a class of doctor that is familiar with or supportive of the types of taper programs that seem to work for everyone.  So far I am a month out and am jingling and jangling like a pocket full of pennies.  Not sleeping either.  Your input is greatly appreciated.

Laredo, first if your doctor insists you go ct from a 4 mg. dose of k per day,  he obviously has no clue the potential hell you could go thru.

I am not saying  you should not listen to ;your doctor.  I am saying you need to convince him that a slow withdrawl is what you wish to try...  If yu can't , there are other doctors out there that are willing to work with you in this respect..

If you read alot of blogs and posts here , you will find very little support for going that route from such a high amount of the drug.

If your doctor is ok with continueing to  write prescriptions for the 4 mg. you can just start your reduction on your own,  with a little help from your friends here. 

Unless there is some life threatening  need for K we don't know about, then reducing slowly and getting off the drug alltogeather is your best plan.

we can certainly help with a reduction schedule should/when you want to reduce.

good luck

st

Hi,

If you mean that your doctor wishes you to quit 4mg Clonazepam per day, cold turkey, after 7 years of use, and without adjunctive medicine to protect against the very real risks of status epilepticus seizure, he is dangerously wrong. Has your doctor mentioned the risk of seizure associated with cold turkey withdrawal of a large dose of benzodiazepine? Has he indicated that you will take anticonvulsants upon this cold turkey withdrawal.

If you are in the USA, it is usual to send patients to a detox centre for such cold turkey withdrawal. The detox centre will prescribe an anticonvulsant. I am not suggesting that i think such programs at detox centres are a good idea, but they do at least administer an anticonvulsant. Status Epilepticus seizures are very dangerous and often lethal.

My Primary Care Giver (pcg), sorry for the confusion, doesn't want to offer any addictive drug for a prolonged stepdown program.  He has offered neurontin (gabapentin) and Seroquel and warns that I should expect some discomfort in any withdrawal from addictive med.  He was the prescriber of the initial meds, oxycontin and klonipin to prolong the time before my next knee replacement but he is reluctant to assist in the withdrawal from the benzo which is evidently much longer and more serious than the opiate withdrawal.  I have been sleep deprived for 3 weeks, have had one seizure, neural upsets, anxiety, etc...  These symptoms are not improving and at  56 years old, I am a bit nervous about the future.  I have tried to contact clinics in my area but none seem to offer a gradual stepdown that seems to be the least dangerous.  Is there a particular type of doctor that would have the experience and willingness to participate in a gradual taper.  As always your input is greatly appreciated.

Hi Laredo,

In you shoes, I think I would seek a second opinion. At the very minimum, an anticonvulsant should be administered if your doctor instructs you to cold turkey a large dose of benzodiazepine after protracted use. Many doctors will work with you while you follow a gradual withdrawal schedule. It is trickier to find one that is willing to help people follow a taper plan lasting many months, but so are OK with this.

Unless there are pressing medical reasons to quit benzodiazepines immediately, I don't understand why your doctor wishes you to quit cold turkey. I don't give "medical advice", but I am on safe ground when I write that there are real and significant risks to quitting large doses of benzodiazepines cold turkey without the use of anticonvulsants. Additionally, there is plenty of medical literature regarding the benefits of gradual withdrawal.