Why fear of/while driving?

[Gr...]

I'm just curious, why, when my anxiety is at its worst, I can't drive.  I know this is common, but I just want to know why.  Does anyone know?

Our nervous system, is very sensitive during recovery. When driving a car, there are many impressions, and a lot to keep in mind. I think, it's getting too much of everything, and then the body reacts with anxiety.

During the first period, I couldn´t drive a car at all. I should not do that, because I was so bad. But now, it's the opposite. As soon as I'm in the car, everything is as usual, and I'm fine. When I get home, I'm bad again. Of course, it will be backlash, and I'm bedside the following day. It's probably, not time to drive a car, I have to wait until I feel better. :)

My therapist once told me: "depression is fear of the past, anxiety is fear of the future."  Driving is unpredictable; as another poster commented, there are so many sights, sounds, etc. going on that it might just be overwhelming to senses that are already raw from

tapering.  Let me ask you: is it better or worse when someone is in the car with you?  Are you able to ride in a car when someone else is driving?

It's much better for me when someone else is in the car.  I do get nervous with other people driving sometimes but it goes away easier and quicker.  I actually realize now that my anxiety while driving has gotten SO MUCH LESS since I started tapering.  In other words, my anxiety was actually much much worse, when I was taken 2.5-3mg of klonopin a day and xanax as needed. 

• 3 weeks later...
I think anxiety has a lot to do with the fear of losing control. At least for me that's how it works so driving a car is terrifying. I always worry about losing control or getting in a wreck or not being able leave. Getting stuck in traffic or at a light is the worst for me. I guess everyone is different. I just try to take it one experience at a time!