Work and withdrawals?

[St...]

Hi everyone I'm in the last stages of my Valium use. I have used illicit valium for roughly 7 years. At one point I was taking 10 - 15 blues a day. I managed to get myself down to 30 mg a day and the local drug and alcohol centre has agreed to help me taper.

I found it quite easy until I was dropped from 15mg to 10mg. Since then I've been dropped 2mg a week. I was dropped to 6mg last Wednesday and withdrawals kicked in. Barely any sleep anxiety, low mood and all the other stuff that comes with it.

I had to call in sick last Thursday as I could barely function at work. I work in IT and it's quite stressful and dragging my backside looks bad. I was hoping to go back today although I'm still not that well. I've been dropped another 2mg today and foresee more withdrawals. My biggest worry is I don't want to loose my Job, does anyone know on what terms I should ask for a sick note for? I've got an appointment with the Drs today. Should I be upfront with my employer? If so I fear of loosing my Job. Is there a good medical exception for me being off Work?

These worries aren't helping I have a great support network at home. Has anyone else had these issues? If so please share. :)

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Stu

This was tricky for me as well--I thought at one point that I was going to have to take a leave, but wound up not taking one.  I would speak with a psychiatrist about this before approaching HR/your boss.  They will know whether you are required to disclose mental health issues to secure a leave.  I was very reluctant to disclose the reason why I was taking off; even if you recover, there is a stigma attached to mental health issues that will probably be tough to shake.  So, I took days off here and there, but no leave (I said it was due to high blood pressure, which was bothering me, but not the reason I needed time).

On another note, I think you are tapering too quickly.  If you had been taking V for 7 years, dropping 2mg per week at 10mg is too fast.  I would try dropping 1mg per week once you get to 10mg.  Remember, as you drop to the lower stages of your taper, the overall % of that you are cutting will increase. If you drop more gradually, you might find the withdrawal side effects a bit more tolerable/easy to manage with work.

I got intermittent FMLA, go to your doctor and tell him your sxs, and if they include heart palpations, syncope, maybe high BP you can qualify for FMLA.

Nope, I am out of work right now because of the this.  However I was one of the very few people that was foolish enough to make this mistake twice,  and I think the 2nd time is harder.  Still I try to stay active, but right now working is not an option as I use heavy equipment , saws, etc..

Hi Stuart,

My story is very similar to yours, I also work in IT and I had a rough time in the beginning.  I just couldn't concentrate and had the biggest implementation while in serious withdrawl.  I am so glad it went well because I have no idea how I would have done any trouble shooting in that condition.

My advice to you is to NOT say anything to your employer.  I spent so many days thinking I had to say something, I just had to, so they would understand why I was acting differently than I normally do.  Well I fought the urge and never said anything because I couldn't came up with a good explination for why I wanted them to know other than it would explain why I was being so weird.  Now that I feel better I am so relieved that I didn't say anything because after two weeks I was feeling myself again (although not 100% in all aspects but at work I was close to 100%) and glad that I now didn't have to deal with everyone asking me how I felt or if I needed to take any time off or being treated in any way differently.

As unfortunate as it is we still live in a society that does not allow us to take any 'mental health' days because there is a stigma associated with it.

You can fake your way through this period, and the weird period only lasts a few weeks at most.  There were days that I faked it so well I couldn't believe how I came across in meetings... so confident, so knowlegable.  While in my head I was a going bananas.

So just be strong, it will be over soon and you will be back to normal at work.

Thanks

Me

Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies! It's nice to know I'm not the only one dealing with this.

The Dr has written me off work for 2 weeks for a flu that I said started last week. I can now try to stop worrying about everything and try to concentrate on me. I'm so determined to get off of valium.

Thanks again for your support :)

Stu

Hi Stu,

I'm so glad you're going to be able to rest from work for 2 weeks! I also think that's a very fast taper rate, and I worry you might still be symptomatic when it's time for you to go back to work. I had a similar dilemma when I began my taper as I could not afford to take unpaid leave or drop to part-time, but I did have some PTO saved up.

My NP wrote a note that disclosed no details at all. Where I am at least, there is no legal obligation to disclose such details. The note simply said that I was under her care for "acute exacerbation of a chronic medical condition." It's in my employee file now for my own protection. The NP wrote that I was to be excused from duties outside the regularly scheduled 8 hour work day with 1 hour lunch, or anything outside our building. Since I'm a salaried employee this essentially amounts to "light duty." It has been difficult, but I've been able to do it! I don't arrive early or stay late. I take my full 1 hour lunch, usually alone with my office door closed and the lights out. I try to be as productive as possible while I'm there, and while I'm not exactly "employee of the month/year" right now, I manage to complete my basic job requirements. I've taken a half day or full day off maybe once every two or three weeks - because I can usually make it through the work day (if nothing else), I'm able to use PTO judiciously.

Sorry that got long...I bring it up because I wonder whether your doctor could do something similar for you? I've seen lots of people here worry about keeping their jobs. Some have not been able to, but many of us have managed. You will figure it out - hang in there!  :thumbsup:

Gwinna

hey dude. i worked in tech through all of this as well. when I jumped I took 3-4 weeks of. but I am working remotely since then, do'n't think would have survived the office ....

your taper rate is obviously too fast, there is a good chance that if you go back to your last good dose, and taper very slowly the rest, that you won't have crazy issues

Hi everyone thanks for all of your enlightening replies it feels so good that I'm not alone and I have your support.

Things are levling out now regarding withdrawals.

I've just come back from the School run and was thinking how I was feeling and what to relate it to. This may just be me but it really compares to the feeling of breaking up from a long term relationship. There's the butterflies and the empty numb feeling.... can anyone else relate?

I'm taking my partner out for breakfast this morning by the ocean as that's got to be better than lying up in bed.

Thanks Stu X

Stu4rt,

That's excellent news!  Yesterday, I gave a speech in front of 600 people at work--it's hard to believe that two years ago, I was barely able to leave my house.  We can climb out of this hell!