Whenever i see "Mental illneses" in articles, etc..

[6c...]

[6c...]

Being taken seriously, i get stomach pains. :-\

How can people still believe that it's real thing when it's so obviously a lie?

In another note, it'd be atleast funny to see how these ~Mental Health~ would react to people in Benzo PAWS. ;D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [St...]

• [Fl...]

• [Lo...]

• [bu...]

So you really don't think "mental illness" is a real thing?

I guess all those folks that suffer from anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, dementia, bi-polar, psychotic episodes, etc are really just imagining it, huh?

Other body  organs can fail or malfunction, but the brain/nervous system  will always operate correctly, huh?

All of these folks that have taken benzos and other psych meds never really needed them, they just imagined their symptoms, right?

::) ::)

[23...]

I guess all those folks that suffer from anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, dementia, bi-polar, psychotic episodes, etc are really just imagining it, huh?

Other body  organs can fail or malfunction, but the brain/nervous system  will always operate correctly, huh?

All of these folks that have taken benzos and other psych meds never really needed them, they just imagined their symptoms, right?

Agree,Builder,  as anxiety got me on them sadly, and it was really real. :'( :'(

:smitten:

In another note, it'd be atleast funny to see how these ~Mental Health~ would react to people in Benzo PAWS. ;D

Mental health problems absolutely exist. Now, whether those problems can be solved/improved with long term use of psychiatric drugs is beyond the scope of this website.

What do you mean it's a lie?

The only symptom I have left, if my "condition" was caused by Ativan, is depression. And trust me, it's real. If I could "snap out of it" or if you can prove to me it isn't real and make me feel "normal" again I will give you a million dollars. Give me my old self back and the money is all yours.

I do believe that there is a such thing as "mental illness" but the OP also has a point.

If you have anxiety are you truly "ill"? What makes something a mental illness? There are no blood or enzyme tests that show mental illness, they are diagnosed based on the opinion of the doctor and the medical community. So many of these "illnesses" are nothing more than normal human conditions and more and more keep getting added to the DSM each time it is revised. Does that mean that new illnesses are developing, or is it just an excuse to drug people?

There is nothing wrong with believing in mental illness but you can't take the medical community's definition of it at face value.

I think that the OP was referring to the concept that mental illness is an illness like diabetes, cancer etc.

The problems may be real, but to suggest that there is a unifying biological cause for each 'label' (because that's what it is !) ?

'In another note, it'd be atleast funny to see how these ~Mental Health~ would react to people in Benzo PAWS' If the PAWS syndrome is serious and you're confronted with a psychiatrist it can get very ugly.

I recall a story of a young woman in her early thirties, a few years ago. She'd been on Ativan. For some reason she ended up in a hospital in Germany, and was diagnosed with schizophrenia. The opinion of a psychiatrist. She begged her mother to get her out of there, who was at first inclined to believe the psychiatrist.  She got out, and if I recall correctly after a long and harrowing ordeal she recovered.

[6c...]

I never wanted to take benzos, it was forced on me. Never had any anxiety problem.

How can someone who used benzos believe that mental illneses? And if i took benzos, does that mean that i develop a bunch of disorders like those you mentioned? >:(

[6c...]

Thomas Szasz made a good argument, if you guys are interested.

"Myth of mental illness"

"Mental illness" is an expression, a metaphor that describes an offending, disturbing, shocking, or vexing conduct, action, or pattern of behavior, such as packaged under the wide-ranging term, schizophrenia, as an "illness" or "disease". Szasz wrote: "If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have schizophrenia. If the dead talk to you, you are a spiritualist; If you talk to the dead, you are a schizophrenic."[11]:85 He maintained that, while people behave and think in disturbing ways, and those ways may resemble a disease process (pain, deterioration, response to various interventions), this does not mean they actually have a disease. To Szasz, disease can only mean something people "have", while behavior is what people "do". Diseases are "malfunctions of the human body, of the heart, the liver, the kidney, the brain" while "no behavior or misbehavior is a disease or can be a disease. That's not what diseases are." Szasz cited drapetomania as an example of a behavior that many in society did not approve of, being labeled and widely cited as a disease. Likewise, women who did not bend to a man's will were said to have hysteria.[12] He thought that psychiatry actively obscures the difference between behavior and disease in its quest to help or harm parties in conflicts. He maintained that, by calling people diseased, psychiatry attempts to deny them responsibility as moral agents in order to better control them.

In Szasz's view, people who are said by themselves or others to have a mental illness can only have, at best, "problems in living". Diagnoses of "mental illness" or "mental disorder" (the latter expression called by Szasz a "weasel term" for mental illness) are passed off as "scientific categories" but they remain merely judgments (judgments of disdain) to support certain uses of power by psychiatric authorities. In that line of thinking, schizophrenia becomes not the name of a disease entity but a judgment of extreme psychiatric and social disapprobation. Szasz called schizophrenia "the sacred symbol of psychiatry" because those so labeled have long provided and continue to provide justification for psychiatric theories, treatments, abuses, and reforms.

The figure of the psychotic or schizophrenic person to psychiatric experts and authorities, according to Szasz, is analogous with the figure of the heretic or blasphemer to theological experts and authorities. According to Szasz, to understand the metaphorical nature of the term "disease" in psychiatry, one must first understand its literal meaning in the rest of medicine. To be a true disease, the entity must first, somehow be capable of being approached, measured, or tested in scientific fashion. Second, to be confirmed as a disease, a condition must demonstrate pathology at the cellular or molecular level.

A genuine disease must also be found on the autopsy table (not merely in the living person) and meet pathological definition instead of being voted into existence by members of the American Psychiatric Association. "Mental illnesses" are really problems in living. They are often "like a" disease, argued Szasz, which makes the medical metaphor understandable, but in no way validates it as an accurate description or explanation. Psychiatry is a pseudoscience that parodies medicine by using medical-sounding words invented especially over the last one hundred years. To be clear, heart break and heart attack, or spring fever and typhoid fever belong to two completely different logical categories, and treating one as the other constitutes a category error. Psychiatrists are the successors of "soul doctors", priests who dealt and deal with the spiritual conundrums, dilemmas, and vexations – the "problems in living" – that have troubled people forever.

Psychiatry's main methods are assessment, medication, conversation or rhetoric and incarceration. To the extent that psychiatry presents these problems as "medical diseases", its methods as "medical treatments", and its clients – especially involuntary – as medically ill patients, it embodies a lie and therefore constitutes a fundamental threat to freedom and dignity. Psychiatry, supported by the state through various Mental Health Acts, has become a modern secular state religion according to Szasz. It is a vastly elaborate social control system, using both brute force and subtle indoctrination, which disguises itself under the claims of being rational, systematic and therefore scientific.

Also,

I think that the OP was referring to the concept that mental illness is an illness like diabetes, cancer etc.

The problems may be real, but to suggest that there is a unifying biological cause for each 'label' (because that's what it is !) ?

'In another note, it'd be atleast funny to see how these ~Mental Health~ would react to people in Benzo PAWS' If the PAWS syndrome is serious and you're confronted with a psychiatrist it can get very ugly.

I recall a story of a young woman in her early thirties, a few years ago. She'd been on Ativan. For some reason she ended up in a hospital in Germany, and was diagnosed with schizophrenia. The opinion of a psychiatrist. She begged her mother to get her out of there, who was at first inclined to believe the psychiatrist.  She got out, and if I recall correctly after a long and harrowing ordeal she recovered.

that happened to me as well.  :(

[6c...]

Thomas Szasz is a member of Scientology.

Nah. He was from the Libertarian party, and also a Psychiatrist himself.

Szasz co-founded CCHR, a Scientology front group. The other founder was the church of scientology.

He may have been a psychiatrist but made his living being one of the foremost critics of psychiatry.

Please look at this link when you get a chance.

http://suppressiveperson.org/2010/07/25/dr-stephen-wiseman-takes-on-dr-thomas-szasz-and-scientologys-citizens-commission-on-human-rights/

I am completely baffled by this thread.Do not tell me there is no such thing as mental illness l suppose l imagine suffering crippling anxiety.Not all illnesses can be found on a scan or by a blood test.

So what you are saying that people who have taken their life have imagined their depression and or anxiety.

Absolute nonsense.

I never wanted to take benzos, it was forced on me. Never had any anxiety problem.

How can someone who used benzos believe that mental illneses? And if i took benzos, does that mean that i develop a bunch of disorders like those you mentioned? >:(

1) Unless some one was involuntarily committed to a mental health facility, I really don't understand they could be "forced" to take any psych med.

2)  Those are not disorders caused by psych meds, they are disorders often (successfully) treated with psych meds.  Many of these conditions have identifiable organic components.

3)  When first described a benzo, I clearly had a very real, and very disabling mental illness...a sudden onset of severe GAD.  I was suddenly housebound, unable to manage my business, and having suicidal ideations.  (I took my guns to my son's house as a precaution).  When I finally popped my first 5mg of diazepam, I felt like the heavens had opened up, and I was ready to start living again.

I am completely baffled by this thread.Do not tell me there is no such thing as mental illness l suppose l imagine suffering crippling anxiety.Not all illnesses can be found on a scan or by a blood test.

So what you are saying that people who have taken their life have imagined their depression and or anxiety.

Absolute nonsense.

It's not that the symptoms aren't real, it's that the illnesses are subjective and the symptoms tend to simply be a more extreme degree of normal human emotions, conditions and functions.

Everyone gets anxious. It is necessary for survival. So it comes down to it being a "degree" thing. When is someone anxious enough to be considered mentally ill?

The label itself isn't really the problem, it's that the label gives an excuse to drug people with sketchy chemicals that do not cure anything. That's why I am here today. Because I complained to my doctor that I had social anxiety, and instead of referring me to CBT she took the easy way out and prescribed me benzos and AD's. And here I am 7 1/2 years after my last dose, still dealing with severe cognitive issues and a few other symptoms that are a direct result of being "treated" for my so called "mental illness".

I can only imagine how different my life would be today if I hadn't gotten tangled up in a system that uses the mental illness label indiscriminately and uses powerful psychoactive drugs to "treat" said illnesses.

Anxiety is indeed normal however when it impacts every area of your life and destroys your life then it is an illness.

I understand your stance on medication as you have obviously been harmed however my daughter would not be here if she hadn't had treatment both drugs and therapy.

I do not agree with drugs being given without the therapy that is also necessary however that will not change unless mental illness is taken as seriously as physical illness.

Sorry Clare l thought you were responding to me haha.l am a wee bit angry not at you .l can't believe this thread is even here.l hope you are well.

l can't believe this thread is even here.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:    :clap: :clap:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:smitten:

THANK YOU.  :clap: It should not be. :tickedoff:

Gwinna

[6c...]

Szasz co-founded CCHR, a Scientology front group. The other founder was the church of scientology.

He may have been a psychiatrist but made his living being one of the foremost critics of psychiatry.

Please look at this link when you get a chance.

http://suppressiveperson.org/2010/07/25/dr-stephen-wiseman-takes-on-dr-thomas-szasz-and-scientologys-citizens-commission-on-human-rights/

"Many critics regard it as a Scientology front group whose purpose is to push the organization's anti-psychiatric agenda."

I don't see how it has anything to do with Scientology. Just because it's against Psychiatry?  ::)

Troll thread. Has to be.

I spent 4 months in a Psych ward when I was 18. Go visit one and tell me mental illnesses are a myth.  :laugh: