Amitriptyline?

[9b...]

[9b...]
Just spoke with my prescriber. She was pushing anti psychotics hard but I won't go that route. Have tried many SSRI's. Tried Remeron. Probably foolish to be looking for anything that can make this bearable at this point but has anyone had any positive experiences with Amitriptyline? I'm at the end of my rope with all of this.

I took it for 3 weeks and it did not help me at all so i had to stop it in a week...my hair was falling and i was depressed...with this she stopped givong,me any AD and i was pleased...in fact i was determined not to try another AD even if she would insist ...

[9b...]
I don't want to take anything else either but I feel like I can't get through this taper without anything else. So I don't know what to do.

I took this for a period of nine months several years ago. I won’t go into detail, but I don’t recommend it based on my personal experience. The only plus side was that I could sleep for like 15 hours a day if I wanted. For some people it has the opposite effect on sleep.

As far as my depression/anxiety, I think it just does what most ADs do and muted all my emotions. I wasn’t anxious, but I wasn’t happy, either.

Everyone reacts differently to ADs, so my experience may bear no reflection on yours. It really is a bit of a roulette for everybody. It didn’t have any permanent effects and when I came off my withdrawal didn’t stop me from daily life. A year out from it and I was totally normal.

[9b...]
Yeah I've slept pretty much all day today and when I have been awake I've just felt weird as hell and pretty much like any other psych meds I've taken where I just feel "off" and not exactly anxious but just in a drugged sort of haze. Like my brain has been scrambled. I don't like any of these psych drugs I was just hoping for something to make the anxiety and depression bearable and taper off of this damn Klonopin.

What dose has she given you?

I always have to start very low with anything.

if you can’t tolerate it you could try nortriptyline which I find better.

[0c...]

She gave me 25 but I started with 10 and couldn't even handle that.

Amitryiptyline can be helpful for sleep, so you may only want to take it at bedtime.

If you can bear it I’d stick to the 10mg for a couple of weeks and see if things calm down.

If not ask about nortriptyline maybe?

I was on amitriptyline for about 2years from 1996 and didn’t start to gpfeel better from initial very bad ME/CFS until I stopped it.

I tried it again earlier this year and felt horrible but was so suicidal I knew I had to take something and neuro suggested nortriptyline. I thought it would be awful but I tried it. I started by half I f 10mg tablets for a week and then went up to 10mg and it has been okay and a month on it doesn’t seem to be causing any problems.

I’m very sensitive to meds so will stay on that dose for now but will go up another 5 and then 10mgs if things get very bad again as I taper down.

[9b...]
Yeah I honestly don't really know what to do. My anxiety and depression are so bad that I'm becoming suicidal as well but on the meds I just slept for like 16 hours and woke up completely freaked out anyway and like I'd had a lobotomy.

Fuzzy: I'm on this medication, got it a few years ago. I knew, I should get worse for 2-3 weeks, but ended up in hell. The body, felt like a pressure cooker, and eating or sleeping was completely unthinkable. Could hardly touch me.

At one time, I didn´t find 3 tablets, and after 2 days I was in hell again. These should be as difficult as benzo to end.

In the Swedish book, for medicines, they warn that depression can be even worse during the first few weeks. It is also said, that irregular heartbeat is a side effect.

I don´t know, if I became better psychologically. It´s difficult to determine, because I suffer from the withdrawal. It is very common with weight gain. But, I think it's because you get better appetite. I went up 15% of my normal weight. But, that was just fine, now I have normal weight. What also was good, is that I've stopped crying, now it´s impossible.

But, maybe you should feel better? It's really hard to know, because the nervous system is so sensitive. We don´t really tolerate other medications. But I hope you feel better soon, I know you're having a hard time.

[9b...]
Thank you. Yes my central nervous system is so fragile it's like it cannot handle anything. The fear and the depression are just so crippling.

Fuzzy: Just as you write, our nervous system is so sensitive, and doesn´t tolerate other medications.

I know. you're very hard. After a CT, with many medications, I've gone through hell. I'm not good yet, but no longer bedside. I notice, the symptoms slowly but surely disappear. And it will be the same for you, even though it feels completely hopeless at the moment. We have each other here at BB, and we will do it! :)

[9b...]
Did you have depersonalization/derealization? I'm so dissociated it scares me so much. I don't feel connected to rooms in my own house, even my own body and mind. I'm so terrified.

Fuzzy: I've experienced a lot of DR / DP. 10 months after CT,  I had a window and would drive a car. Who belonged to the arms, that held the steering- wheel? They didn´t feel like mine. Then, it was just turning, this was not good.

My home felt strange, who lives here? Be absolutely terrified, for my own bedroom. If something was nasty in the doorway, then there was only one way to get from there. For 28 months, I've spent my life on the couch. (it was new, but is now almost ruined). Just really need a couch, coffee table and a way to the bathroom. Everything else, has just become one big mess. What a life!

But DR / DP disappeared after half a year. It went over quite fast, suddenly it was just gone. I'm suffering with you Fuzzy, I know how to live in this. That's the worst thing I've been to.

[9b...]
Yeah lately I've been having the same thing where my room doesn't feel familiar and several other rooms in my house I really won't even go in at all. It's quite a scary feeling but apparently that's normal for DP/DR during high levels of stress. It sure doesn't feel normal as I'm sure you know.