Started amitriptyline bad news

[nh...]

I started taking amitriptyline few days ago I feel worse no appetite my gallbladder pain is back and hands and feet always cold again is this reving my symptoms up? I thought it was working first few days now I feel worse

It's an old antidepressant. They don't sell the brand name (Elavil) in the US anymore, just the generic. I had terrible side effects when I took it a long time ago. It didn't really help my depression, but I gained weight and developed eye floaters, which I STILL have, almost 15 years later. I wouldn't take any more of it.

Some people are extra sensitive to all sorts of things in benzo withdrawal, a lot of people can’t even take multivitamins let alone pharmaceuticals. Introducing new meds when our CNS is so raw is a bit of a gamble. Maybe this medication isn’t right for you, if you don’t improve Id probably stop it. Amitriptyline works on serotonin and has a slight antihistamine effect, hence the sleepiness, I don’t think it works directly on GABA, as far as I know none of the common antidepressants do (however I’m not an expert)

Nhbuck,

Here is what I found:

"Amitriptyline works in depression by prolonging the activity of neurotransmitters called serotonin and noradrenaline that are released from nerve cells in the brain. This helps prolong the mood lightening effect of these neurotransmitters and helps relieve depression. Amitriptyline can have a sedating effect."

So it has nothing to do with GABA. But it is working on other neurotransmitters in your central nervous system.

Here's a couple of questions. 1. I'm sure you have a computer, so why don't you Google this information yourself? I would actually recommend you stay off the computer because it's easy to get obsessed and increase your health anxiety. But if you are concerned it would be great if you don't just rely on BB members to answer (in what you consider a timely manner). 2. I've noticed that you are really hoping for something to "work" for you as a cure. You try out this or that, it seems to work for a few days, you start feeling bad again and you are, understandably, frustrated and angry to be in the same position.

I do not say any of this to hurt your feelings or belittle you in any way. But it seems "grasping at straws" isn't working for you. You have a sensitive system. So, it seems ill advised to keep trying out new medicines, supplements, etc. Please find some ways to distract. Eat clean and healthy. Drink water. Try to get some movement, even if it's a very short walk. Work on acceptance and mindset. Give yourself and your brain a chance to heal.

My best to you. :smitten:

PS - If you're going to try an antidepressant, they take 3-4 weeks to work. So commit to that unless you are having crazy side effects. What you described sounded more like withdrawal syndrome than AD side effects. Also, before you try something new do some research so you know what to expect.

Excellent post, Lala.  Spot on.

Other drugs will not cure the symptoms of withdrawal.  In fact, for most people, other meds make symptoms worse and/or prolong this process.

Sofa

I agree with Lala and Sofa, try to be strong without taking anything, I can add that medicines and supplements only confuse you as to what is causing your symptoms. In the end it's truly just withdrawal for 99% of us. That said I wasn't strong enough and found some relief from Remeron, it does have side effects but for me the relief from the horrible place I was at is worth it, it did save my life. Drugs like these should only be used in extreme cases and only you can judge if you are there, and even then you should try them and if they don't work go back to your psychiatrist and try something different we all react diferent to meds.

I can’t tolerate amitriptyline but find I can take nortriptyline.

I am only on a very low dose still.

ive been starting to feel a little better today taking it

You were probably blaming it for the wave you were on, you should see improvement in 4 weeks, you will know when it's there, for me I knew it kicked in when I had some "apathy" towards my health anxiety, truly what I needed.

Today I almost feel like my old self is it possible that I may just have a severe anxiety disorder and depression?

From what I've read, it sounds like ADs rev a person up until you take it for awhile. I was taking Zoloft a long time ago and couldn't stand the jitteriness I was getting. I had to stop taking it. Plus they have some awful side effects. It doesn't seem worth it.

Today I almost feel like my old self is it possible that I may just have a severe anxiety disorder and depression?

Always a possibility.

Reading some of the posts that get written here on BB, I'd put good money on quite a few people having a legit mental health disorder rather than strictly Benzo withdrawal, simply because of the very blurred lines between the two. If in doubt, always seek a professional medical opinion. Or several!

So can you guys help me with this. When I first started taking it I was feeling really good I wanted to do things and spend money had Alot of energy now I'm exhausted and laying in bed all day I feel so weak and depressed lethargic

Nhbuck,

Could be.

Sofa

I don't think so. Amitrytplin doesn't work so quickly. Like the others it takes months to see the end result how it works.

Was drinking alcohol when I was younger and experienced my first panic attack after the they kept reoccuring