Weight Loss During Post-Recovery - Why do we lose weight??

[Mo...]

From my research I understand that Gaba supplements help normal people to lose weight, which means increased Gaba helps people lose weight. Then why do we, who are tapering down and recovering from withdrawal from benzos lose weight, as we actually are deficient in Gaba.  Does anyone know the theory behind this?

I lost 10-11 lb weight in the 4th month of tapering, ie July 2017 (I was on low dose Clonazepam for nearly 2 years and 4 months including tapering period).  Then for the next 8 months my weight was stable at that lost weight (I did put on a lb but lost it again).  Then during 8th month of recovery, which is mid April to mid May 2018, I lost a further 2.5 lb.

Anyone else lost weight during post withdrawal? Please respond as this is really bothering me.

The only reason I can think of it for myself is that during the month of July 2017 I was visiting family in a different country and didn't go for walks.  When I returned in August I started my walks and the weight stabilised.  Then in early March 2018, I had bad palpitations, went to ER, everything was normal, and the doctor said it was gas.  I later realised my thyroid level were not what is optimal for me (although within normal range). Due to palpitation, I wasn't able to go for walks until almost mid May 2018.  Did a very little bit of walk during this time.  I could only think this to be the reason that not going for walks does not produce enough neurotransmitters in my brain which helps me stablise my weight. 

Anyone else can relate to this? Did doing exercise help you stablise your weight and you didn't lose any further weight?

I went for a little brisk walk this morning and have some palpitations again. So will have to slow down for some more time.

I would greatly appreciate your response so as to put my worry to ease.

I have no idea why but after my cold turkey I lost weight, but I have gained it all back and about 10 lbs extra. I know my appetite was not good the first two weeks or so, Also, I was and still am eating healthier. I also cannot exercise like I use to so that is why I have gained extra weight.

ASHTONS MANUAL:

Considerable loss of weight (8-10lb or more) sometimes occurs in withdrawal. This may be due to a rebound effect on appetite, since benzodiazepines have been shown to increase appetite in animals. On the other hand, some people gain weight in withdrawal. In any case, weight changes are not severe enough to worry about and normal weight is soon regained after withdrawal. A few people have difficulty in swallowing food - the throat seems to tighten up especially if eating in company. This is usually a sign of anxiety and is well-known in anxiety states. Practising relaxation, eating alone, taking small well chewed mouthfuls with sips of liquid and not hurrying make things easier and the symptom settles as anxiety levels decline.

Moonstar- Is your thyroid high or low? I just found out this morning that my thyroid is very high.  I've been losing weight, which is really unusual for me.  Especially because I stopped my hour long daily weight and cardio workout when my blood pressure and pulse skyrocketed during my fast taper. I only walk now, and am eating like there is no tomorrow... and not clean food.

My doc is ascribing my jumpiness and shakes to the thyroid. The shakes started 3 1/2 months after I jumped (4 mg K daily for 14 years or so). I thought it was just another lovely symptom of withdrawal.

Anybody else have thyroid problems or is this a problem totally unrelated?

I have no idea why but after my cold turkey I lost weight, but I have gained it all back and about 10 lbs extra. I know my appetite was not good the first two weeks or so, Also, I was and still am eating healthier. I also cannot exercise like I use to so that is why I have gained extra weight.

Hi Preachergirl, how long did it take for you to gain all your weight back.  I went gluten free and dairy free while I was on benzos, so I have been eating quite healthy food and barely eat any junk, sweet or fried food. That could be why I wasn't able to put the weight back on at all. but losing further 2.5 lb caused me concern.

ASHTONS MANUAL:

Considerable loss of weight (8-10lb or more) sometimes occurs in withdrawal. This may be due to a rebound effect on appetite, since benzodiazepines have been shown to increase appetite in animals. On the other hand, some people gain weight in withdrawal. In any case, weight changes are not severe enough to worry about and normal weight is soon regained after withdrawal. A few people have difficulty in swallowing food - the throat seems to tighten up especially if eating in company. This is usually a sign of anxiety and is well-known in anxiety states. Practising relaxation, eating alone, taking small well chewed mouthfuls with sips of liquid and not hurrying make things easier and the symptom settles as anxiety levels decline.

Thank you for the quote from Ashton Manual.  I have read on this forum that people have lost even 50 lbs!!  My appetite has been pretty much the same while on benzos, during tapering and during recovery, but my food habits have changed...I have gone gluten free and dairy free in the last 2 years.

Redpoodle,

I too was diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid. I was actually put on lorazepam because doctors couldn't figure out that my thyroid was causing my uncharacteristic anxiety, shakiness, and trouble sleeping. Starting on methimazole treatment has really helped me. I lost about 20lbs in a month due to my thyroid disease. I have gained back about 8 lbs so far. Still not at my ideal weight yet, but I am feeling stronger and healthier these days.

If you need someone to talk to about hyperactive thyroid let me know. We can compare labs and experiences.

Moonstar- Is your thyroid high or low? I just found out this morning that my thyroid is very high.  I've been losing weight, which is really unusual for me.  Especially because I stopped my hour long daily weight and cardio workout when my blood pressure and pulse skyrocketed during my fast taper. I only walk now, and am eating like there is no tomorrow... and not clean food.

My doc is ascribing my jumpiness and shakes to the thyroid. The shakes started 3 1/2 months after I jumped (4 mg K daily for 14 years or so). I thought it was just another lovely symptom of withdrawal.

Hi Redpoodle, I have hypothyroid (possibly Hashimotos) which means I have an underactive thyroid, but it is under control by medication. Normally people with hypothyroid have trouble losing weight and are on the heavier side.  I had bloated like a baloon about 20 years ago when I had thyroid and was not diagnosed. Once diagnosed and treatment began, I lost all the extra weight and had an excellent weight, which I have maintained most of the time. My weight fluctuates a few lbs here and there depending on my thyroid.

When you say your thyroid is very high, do you mean you are Hyperthyoid, in which case yes, you would lose weight.  It would get back to normal when you start the treatment. The normal TSH range is quite wide. You will need to figure out what is optimal TSH range for your body. For most people the optimal would be between 1 to 2.  Although the normal range is something like 0.49 to 4.70, I never feel good at extreme ends.

Those with Hyperthyroid must try to avoid coconut oil as that speeds up metabolism, and in jhyperthyroid, the metabolism is already overactive.

I lost more than 40 pounds. But I think a major contributer is the fact I stopped drinking heavily. I also stopped drinking soda and eating fast food multiple times a day.

That said, it has been a little concerning that I can keep my weight up.

I lost almost 20 pounds have gained a few back by now.  It felt like my adrenal glands were working OT for the first 2 months felt like i was on speed no appetite or sleep.  Then started to settle down after that. 

I lost more than 40 pounds. But I think a major contributer is the fact I stopped drinking heavily. I also stopped drinking soda and eating fast food multiple times a day.

90% of that weight loss must be diet based on what you said.

HRP402 thanks for responding. Did you lose all 40 lb during tapering or also during recovery from withdrawal? If during recovery, until which month into recovery were you losing weight. Have you put back any of the lost weight?

In my case too my food habits have changed for better since I went on benzos. Being gluten and dairy free doesn't leave much unhealthy things for me to eat.

I lost almost 20 pounds have gained a few back by now.  It felt like my adrenal glands were working OT for the first 2 months felt like i was on speed no appetite or sleep.  Then started to settle down after that.

JusticeQuest, did you lose any weight post tapering, into recovery? When did you start to gain some weight back on?

Hi, I lost 28 pounds during my retirement.

Now I have recovered 10 pounds ::) ::)

Luis, thanks for responding.  When you say retirement, you mean during recovery from withdrawal (post tapering)? If so, until which month were you losing weight and when did you start gaining the weight back?

I am trying to figure out if I am the only one here losing weight in the 8th month of recovery!  Keep in mind I had lost "only" around 10 lb during tapering, all of it in just 1 month - 4th month of tapering.  Then it stablised at that weight and then again lost some lbs in 8th month of recovery. Too scared to check my weight again.

JusticeQuest, did you lose any weight post tapering, into recovery? When did you start to gain some weight back on?

All weight loss was after I jumped.  I started putting t back on starting about 90 days.  Im now at 100 days and weight is stable not geting the food triggered waves as much.  Eating small helps and limiting dairy especially before bed.

HRP402 thanks for responding. Did you lose all 40 lb during tapering or also during recovery from withdrawal? If during recovery, until which month into recovery were you losing weight. Have you put back any of the lost weight?

In my case too my food habits have changed for better since I went on benzos. Being gluten and dairy free doesn't leave much unhealthy things for me to eat.

I don't really remember very well but I'm pretty sure most of it was after tapering and it lasted a while (probably over a year). In fact, within the last six months I lost about another five pounds. I haven't gained any of it back as I usually just drop whatever I may gain in a couple days.

It likely is just all lifestyle changes. Like I said, prior to this hell breaking loose, I had a very unhealthy diet. Growing up I was always thin. It wasn't until after I turned 16 that I started to even gain weight. And that was when I started working fast food and drinking heavily on the weekends. So now that I've cut out those things, I guess maybe I just went back to how I used to be.

I'm losing weight too. I am not hyperthyroid they just checked. Its causing all kinds of health anxiety.

Its not a ton of weight, thankfully. i lost about 2-3 lbs over 2 months. But i am small and still I'm freaking out. probably the benzos talking

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for responding. It is comforting to know that my further weight loss could indeed be due to withdrawal, although the weight loss Rs-started after 7 months into recovery. I won't freak out anymore and make peace with the recovery and wait patiently for complete healing.....soon.