Ear ache

[de...]

I have tinnitus but also occasional earache.  I've just go to accept the tinnitus for the time being but does the earache ever go away?  Doctor says no infection but gave me antibiotics anyway.  No improvement. 

Dee

It's called Sofradex Jim, for which she wrote me a script and I assumed was an antibiotic.  Maybe it's not, but whatever it is it didn't help.  I've only just looked it up now. 

Thanks Jim. 

:smitten:

Dee

I had an occasional earache, but no infection.  It went away.  Do you have earache in both ears or just in one? 

Hi Dee :smitten:

Sofradex contains antibiotics (framycetin sulfate and gramicidin) to kill germs and a corticosteroid (dexamethasone) to stop inflammation, itching and weeping.

I don't believe it belongs to the fluoroquinolones family, nevertheless here below is some information about the kind of antibiotics to absolutely stay away from while under benzo.

...The fluoroquinolone class features a robust, broad-spectrum antibiotic effect and includes many popular drugs such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), ofloxacin (Floxin), norfloxacin (Noroxin), levofloxacin (Levaquin), moxifloxacin (Avelox), and gemifloxacin (Factive).

...The primary receptor type affected is the GABA-A receptor, which is the exact same receptor that benzodiazepines act on.[1]

When a fluoroquinolone binds to a GABA receptor, the result is the polar opposite of the effect of CNS depressants like benzodiazepines. Fluoroquinolones are antagonists of the GABA-A receptor, meaning that they prevent the binding of GABA and can displace other molecules bound to the receptor, such as benzodiazepines.[1] GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and drugs which enhance its action, like benzodiazepines, cause sedation. The GABA receptor blockade caused by a fluoroquinolone results in a CNS stimulant effect, with neurological manifestations ranging from mild insomnia and agitation to hallucinations and seizures.[2] Anyone can suffer these side effects, but individuals prescribed benzodiazepines are notably much more prone to experiencing these adverse neuropsychiatric reactions.

Sometimes the ache you feel in your ears is simply the result of variation in pressure in your ears like when you fly, take off and land in a plane. The difference in pressure between outside and inside your head might be the reason for this pain. As many buddies report head pressure and eyeball pressure resulting sometimes in eye floaters from withdrawal, it could perhaps explain.

Hope you heal soon.

:hug:

In both Ginger.  It's not excruciating as earache can sometimes be, but it is troubling sometimes. 

Dee

Thanks Jim, made me feel better to have it explained.  And now for another more pressing question, if you don't mind.

I was put on Atacand (beta blocker) for high BP and don't feel well.  I don't know if it is WD or the Atacand that making me feel this way.  I have bad neck pain, tingles, rapid heart beat, no appetite, not passing much urine, constipation, and feel tired all of the time.

It is so confusing because all of these symptoms also occur in WD and have suffered them.  Tingles do seem to be in different places, though.  Maybe this is normal in WD, idk. 

I also read on W BAD website that beta blockers were now ill advised when in WD.  Is this so?  I just don't know what to think anymore, and I know when I go to the doctor (I will) she will not listen to any discussion about benzo's being possible cause. 

I know we can't give medical advice just needed to get it off my chest.  I'll phone the doctor now to set an appointment.  I so hate this and am feeling down.

Side effects of Atacand mimic those of WD.  Aarrgghh! 

Thanks, Jim.

Dee

Beta blockers work by blocking the effects of adrenaline. When you take beta blockers, your heart beats more slowly and with less force, thereby reducing blood pressure. Your "rapid heart rate" seems to go in the opposite direction :( . I have a doubt, is this problem of rapid heart rate not something that you have already experienced before taking beta blockers?

My very personal feeling is that when you have troubled water in a glass you do not not make it clearer by further mixing it. You let it rest knowing that it will become clearer after some time.

Dee, for my information did you give up on the emery board method? What is your intention now?

Thanks again Jim.  :smitten:

I don't think I had rapid heart rate pre WD maybe I'm just focussing on my heart now.  The beta blockers did help in the beginning with my BP dropping and the doctor and myself both pleased.  Then it went up again, borderline she said. 

Thanks for the glass and troubled waters analogy it helped.  I feel foolish and hypochondriacal...but this thing is so disturbing with so many confusing symptoms it's little wonder.  Am going to doctor today to have my BP and heart checked, maybe that will make me feel better.

I'm still using an emery board and am at <1.25mgs Valium.  My fragment of pill looks really small and reckon I'm close to 1mg.  I intend dropping to 1mg on 29th May using a 2mg pill cut in half.  At least it's scored.  I've been using a 5mg pill  :idiot: cut in quarters giving me the 1.25mgs and shaving. 

I have no idea how to make a liquid as before, my fear of maths is pathological.  There are reasons for this, harking to my past.  Great love to Scaredie who has the courage to keep asking. 

So, I'm beginning 1mg 29th May, and don't know what to do at that point.  What do you think? 

Thanks again Jim, you are of such support and encouragement to so many. 

Feel like a dead set loser. 

Dee

So, I'm beginning 1mg 29th May, and don't know what to do at that point.  What do you think?

If I follow you step-by-step until the end would you like to try the Liquid Taper? Details of this journey might be useful for many people that fear the alchemist work :D . I think this is THE moment, Dee!

OK Jim, I'm in.  :D

Thank you so very much and I will follow you every step of the way.

There is another buddy here who I know it might help.  We have been trying to work together and we're both scared.  We are both in the same range of Valium. 

What is my first step? 

Thanks, Jim. 

Dee

(The Alchamist's Apprentice) 

First step:

We will try to make sure first we do not need to prepare our solution by dissolving tablets in Vodka. The ideal solution would be to prepare our solution from Valium Liquid available in pharmacy. Please make sure you can obtain from your doctor a prescription for Valium liquid that could be similar to the following:

AdYVemz.png

As the second step largely depends from the first step, we will wait for your answer and will resume when it will be available.

Thanks Jim. 

When I first asked my pharmacist here in Australia he reckoned that we didn't have liquid Valium here, but when I looked it up I think that we do.  I will follow through more assiduously tomorrow. 

Hey Jim, I just looked up where you live, don't tell me you work for Roche?    :D:laugh:

Dee

Oops, just looked up liquid Valium in Australia and it is as you attached in your post.  We can get it here, and I will ask my doctor to write it up.  First step underway. 

Thanks, Jim.

Dee

Second step:

Excellent news for Valium Liquid! :D It is a good start!

1. Buy in local pharmacy or on Amazon a few syringes. In 2 sizes:

- 1 ml with 50 or 100 divisions

- 10 ml with 50 or 100 divisions

If available in both 50 and 100 divisions, take the 100 divisions.

ivDEpNu.png

If you buy from Amazon, you will have to buy a box of many syringes (Ex: 50) you might not use all. In pharmacy you can buy fewer units. 5 units each type will largely suffice as we can re-use them for a number of times.

2. Have a glass storage jar with a lid (re-purposed jelly, salad dressing, pickle/olive etc...). It does not need to be large but in the same time not too small as you will need to well clean the internal surface after every batch.

That's all!

Next will be Third step.

Thanks Jim, am going to check Amazon now and will also ask the pharmacist tomorrow whilst at the doctor. 

I am feeling really unwell today Jim but am still going to get the apparatus so that I am prepared, and can practice. 

Step 2 -

You have been very kind, Jim.  Thank you. 

Dee

I'm sorry you are having a wave :(. Sometimes I just wonder while going thru many posts in the forum whether all those rough symptoms I've read came from just benzo withdrawal. Let's take the example of someone suffering headache which is a typical withdrawal symptom. Then we discover that the person has been suffering headache in the youth before starting with benzo. This is a mere example but benzo may not be the main cause even if it can play a role in exacerbating existing symptoms.

With the low dose of benzo you are coming down nowadays I hope you will find soon a new window. Stay strong, good days are at the door.

When the Valium liquid arrives, please let me know the liquid concentration: mg of benzo in one ml (Ex: 1 mg per ml). Then we trigger our Third Step.

Hi Dee

sorry to hear you having a bad wave i am also experiancing the rining in the ears with ear ache aswell as some hart polpatations i am a month away from my jump i have only started getiing theses sysmtoms now that my dose is low. thank you for also replying to the messages i post it realy helps having some one to talk to.

keep marching on  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/Smileys/standard/wink.gif

It does help jang, this is a very isolating experience and we need each other.  I'm sorry you are experiencing symptoms down the bottom end of the scale.  Seems to be the way of it, and in my own muddled logic, it does make sense.  We are eliminating the last and final dregs from our minds and brains and the rat doesn't want to concede. 

Ha,  :oXo:  We win. 

Dee

Hi Jim,

I went to the doctor today to have liquid compound script written up and she said the only way liquid compound was prescribed, was paediatrically.  I explained why I needed the compound and all I received was the pretty smile. 

She suggested the standard 1mg alternate day dosing schedule, working down to 'zero' through weekly intervals. She wrote me a script for 2mg Valium pills.  I couldn't be bothered arguing the point. 

She even got my name wrong when she called me in, failed to take my BP until I asked her, yet knew my BP was a problem.  I asked if she could check my heart, she agreed, then forgot, and I wandered off with 2mg script in hand.  And my BP was further elevated.  Gee, lucky I asked.  I think I need a new doctor, she's a bit of an idiot. 

So, Step 2 needs reassessment and looks like I might have to make my own.  I know that my fear of maths is more to do with confidence which I want to overcome, and want to give making my own a try.  Might be really good for me. 

Edit:  Forgot to say.  Could not stand the tedium and inaccuracy of filing any longer so snapped a 2mg pill in half at score line.  I firmly believe my dusting had brought to the brink of 1mg so have no fear here.  Thus, I'm now on 1mg.  Yoe!! 

And I want to hold at 1mg for a while.  This will give me the respite I need in all ways possible.  I'm tired, but not tired enough to not practice my skills. 

Am I crazy, or is it real that some people have problems down this low? 

Thanks again, Jim.  Hope this all makes sense. 

Dee

As doctor refused to prescript Valium Liquid, here is our Plan-B. We will prepare ourselves our solution from the existing batch of 2 mg tablets.

Second step:

1. Buy a bottle of Vodka 80 proof. Below is an example.

TRcjXou.png

A bottle of 200 ml would suffice for more than 100 days with our daily dose of 1 mg. It must cost you about 10-15 AUD. The brand is not important, you can buy any brand of Vodka in any store provided it is 80 proof.

2. Buy in local pharmacy or on Amazon a few syringes. In 2 sizes:

- 1 ml with 50 or 100 divisions

- 10 ml with 50 or 100 divisions

3. Have a glass storage jar with a lid (re-purposed jelly, salad dressing, pickle/olive etc...)

That's all!

When the materials are available, we will pass to the Third Step: Solution preparation

Plan B, Step 2 will be complete today. 

Pickle storage jar is my jar of choice.  Seems appropriate.  :)

Thanks Jim  :smitten:

Dee

Hi Jim,

I report back, with mission accomplished.  8).  I am Emma Peel, or 99, depending on where you live. 

200mls vodka, and 1&10ml syringes, both with 50 divisions. 

Plan B, Step 2

Again, with thanks

Dee

Step 3: Preparation of the solution

Objective: Obtain a Valium solution with concentration 0.1 mg/ml

We will start with a limited amount of solution to get familiar with the process. When successfully used over a few weeks, we can think to prepare a higher volume to optimize preparation work.

1. Well clean the jar AND the lid. Rinse both with abundant water as both will be in contact with solution when jar is shaken. Dry them. Be VERY CLEAN during this phase. A spoiled solution can loose effects.

2. Split a 2 mg tablet to two halves and put both of them in the jar. This operation is intended to facilitate the disintegration of the tablet in contact with Vodka.

3. Use a 10 ml syringe to draw up 4 ml of Vodka. Inject that quantity in the jar. The Vodka must cover entirely the tablets. If not, position the jar in the way that tablet is completely submerged by the liquid. Let the jar in this position for 15-30 minutes or more with lid on. Depending on the different brands, tablet might disintegrate before or later. At the end of the operation, a few particles might remain at the bottom. Nothing important as those are excipients (coating, binder, filler, disintegrator...) and not active benzo ingredient that is usually present in small amount.

4. Use the same 10 ml syringe to draw up 16 ml (10 ml + 6 ml) of normal temperature water and inject in the jar. The volume of the final solution, made of Vodka + water, will be 20 ml of 0.1 mg/ml concentration.

That's all!

Next step: Step 4: Generate a Taper Plan

PS: Have you ever been successful in splitting a 2 mg tablet in 4? I ask this question because I would like to combine solution with tablets to minimize impact, if any, of going abruptly from only-tablet to only-liquid.

Hi Jim,

Sitting here working it all out and it's not as difficult as I anticipated.  My confidence was the problem.

Am going to hold for a month with dry 1mg and then at close of month begin the slow road down using liquid. 

The month will give me time to practice using 20mls of water as don't want to waste pills.  I want to get a handle on drawing up and measurements. 

Thanks again Jim.  And I await Step 4 when you are ready.  You answer so many queries here don't want to burden you with further. 

I am writing out my understanding of your instructions in easy to read dot points for your confirmation. 

Dee