If you get depression from w/d then an antidepressant should help, right?

[Fa...]

Even if the depression is caused from Benzo withdrawal, an antidepressant should help, right?

Or can w/d depression and anxiety be so bad that it breaks through an SSRI like 20mg of Lexapro?

I am still at my wits end with wondering if I should be on this poison but I am scared to death to wean anymore due to how bad my depression and anxiety became (intrusive thoughts) just going down 1%.

Seriously, can a 1% cut cause severe symptoms?

The other option is to switch and that's even more terrifying. But the hopelessness is so unbearable at times.

I hate waking up. The realization that I am still living this nightmare is debilitating.

How do I keep going?

Also, the negative thinking! Maybe I should start a new post about that. It's like I'm always worried about this and thinking negative thoughts, especially that my life is over and I will never be the same again. I want to be happy.

I just want to cry. And I can't even do that unless I am at my therapists office.

Most people do not benefit from antidepressants, by that I mean people suffering from depression, not benzo withdrawal.  Even those who do benefit, the benefits can be marginal.  so I think you need to stop trying to analyse this because you will not find an answer.  If you cannot tolerate cutting the Lexapro at the moment even by the smallest amount it may well be difficult to switch.  And yes a 1% cut can cause severe symptoms for many people.  I am sorry you feel so hopeless, but given time, it should get better, if you can just keep getting through each day.  Perhaps others will have better advice for you.

wrong. maybe...., and you might have 2 problems instead of one. with additional SSRI brain damage. i would exhause other option, natural medicine (st johns wort etc) first

wrong. maybe...., and you might have 2 problems instead of one. with additional SSRI brain damage. i would exhause other option, natural medicine (st johns wort etc) first

I have to try. I cannot possibly continue without some relief. I have lost hope that this is still Benzo withdrawal and that my symptoms of depression and anxiety aren't from my own life circumstances that I need to improve in order to get better.

I found a new psychiatrist yesterday and she is very open to only keeping me in the Pristiq for as short a time as necessary and helping me wean off very slowly. 

It might help.  Pristiq was a pain in the ass to come off of, but nothing compared to benzos.  I wish you luck.

I'd caution you about Pristiq, it's simply Effexor repackaged (you can Google it).  Effexor is notoriously one of the hardest ADs to discontinue and, not only that, it comes with its own list of side-effects whilst you're on it.  It's also an SNRI, not an SSRI.  You're already on Lexapro and it's driving you crazy not knowing what's what.  If I were in your shoes, I'd be trying to uncomplicate things rather than adding more to the mix.  I don't want to confuse you further if you've made up your mind but couldn't just ignore this post.

Am very concerned you're starting on the psychotropic merry-go-round, whereas a few short months ago you were 100% med free and coping with life's ups and downs just fine for 52 years. 

I also would *not* discount that much of what you're experiencing could very well be a side-effect of your SSRI.  ADs are notorious for loss of libido, and particularly insomnia, so there's a good chance you'll soon be offered Remeron or another psych drug such as Seroquel to help with sleep.  And the heinous cycle goes on and on and on ...  Please be very, very, very careful.

If it were me, I'd be taking a very pragmatic approach to all this.  Whether or not it's due to benzo W/D or not is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.  I'd take a very honest look at what's going on with your life circumstances and how you can improve that instead of experimenting with brain altering chemicals.  You've been through a lot in a very short time frame, i.e. SVT, quitting smoking CT, on/off Benzo, on AD, and did I read somewhere you also stopped another med (I forget which one now), possibly peri-menopausal, etc, etc.  I assume you've had bloodwork done to check for the usual suspects, eg thyroid, etc? 

My take on your situation would be to spend your time working on learning/developing strategies to manage/control your anxiety/depression/intrusive thoughts *naturally*.  I simply cannot imagine that 1% reduction would be noticeable and from my point of view you're in this "head mess" very deeply now and you want to start picking yourself up, rather than continuing down, down, down the rabbit hole.

Have you looked into mindfulness meditation courses for anxiety?  Have you read any of Dr. Claire Weeke's books (can give you a link to audio if you're interested), David Burns "Feeling Good" for depression (people talk highly of that).  I'd be immersing myself in learning and adopting new coping strategies and practice, practice, practice!  And in the meantime I'd be *FORCING* myself to live as normal a life as possible with "normal" happy people so you're surrounding yourself with positive energy and activities and attempting to get out of your negative, ruminating headspace.  There are many, many tools/tricks to help you overcome this *naturally*, including thought blocking strategies, mindfulness strategies, etc, etc. 

And practice makes perfect, you cannot expect to see 100% resolution in one day. 

One last thought.  If you go back and re-read your posts from the beginning, what do you see?  You've mentioned it more than once yourself so your gut is talking to you, try to be honest with yourself ... is BB doing you more harm than good at this stage of the game?

Sorry for this rushed disjointed post but just please be very, very careful.

If Pristiq is Effexor repackaged and I did not know that, then I would strongly caution you to avoid it.  As abcd says, it is known to be one of the more difficult antidepressants to get off.  Many patients are online struggling very badly with this drug. I am sorry to tell you this but we only have your best interests at heart.  There is a withdrawal support group for Effexor alone and it is very large. I even have an email from a Professor of General Practice saying he is deeply concerned about this drug and the difficulties of withdrawal.  You will see I have taken it myself.  If you wish to switch A/Ds then there are less problematic ones.

That's part of my problem. I am so isolated and alone all day with nothing BUT my mind and ruminating thoughts.

I just don't feel I have a choice besides the Pristiq because I was having the horrible despair with no hope. I have to try to add something that at least helps get me some seratonin to my brain for some positive thoughts.

I have always been against ADs. Always. But I always said unless someone has a chemical imbalance in their brain. Isn't that what I have now? I don't want to end up being suicidal because I didn't seek help that is available.

I am scared about it all. Terrified actually. But I am more terrified if feeling this way for one day longer than I have to.

If an AD is going to help me I have to try. This is the one my DNA test should be the right fit.

If it doesn't work then I do not believe I will try another one.

On the positive side I have been sleeping better and I finally started my period. I'm hopeful these are signs if healing. But this depression is just too deep to "ride out" for months on end when I am home alone all day and I have to help my husband run our business. I HAVE TO GET BACK TO FUNCTIONING.

I truly appreciate your concern. But at some point I have to let go of the horrible stories and focus on the positive stories I read about ADs helping people.

My psychiatrist explained that she prescribes Pristiq to her patients who need to wean off Effexor because it's much easier to wean off if.

One if my issues is possibly also perimenopause and Pristiq is what is most commonly prescribed for this.

I have to be positive about this, not scared.

Okay, I didn't realize you'd already made up your mind, I thought you were looking for opinions and practical coping strategies ... so I'll bow out now but sincerely wish you all the best.  Take good care.

That's part of my problem. I am so isolated and alone all day with nothing BUT my mind and ruminating thoughts.

I just don't feel I have a choice besides the Pristiq because I was having the horrible despair with no hope. I have to try to add something that at least helps get me some seratonin to my brain for some positive thoughts.

I have always been against ADs. Always. But I always said unless someone has a chemical imbalance in their brain. Isn't that what I have now? I don't want to end up being suicidal because I didn't seek help that is available.

I am scared about it all. Terrified actually. But I am more terrified if feeling this way for one day longer than I have to.

If an AD is going to help me I have to try. This is the one my DNA test should be the right fit.

If it doesn't work then I do not believe I will try another one.

On the positive side I have been sleeping better and I finally started my period. I'm hopeful these are signs if healing. But this depression is just too deep to "ride out" for months on end when I am home alone all day and I have to help my husband run our business. I HAVE TO GET BACK TO FUNCTIONING.

I truly appreciate your concern. But at some point I have to let go of the horrible stories and focus on the positive stories I read about ADs helping people.

I feel I have been helped by lexapro (although I gained 60 pounds!) and remeron to help with sleep and nausea.

I do want to say though, while I was told I needed to take these drugs due to a "chemical inbalance," I now wholeheartedly believe that is total crap. I was depressed because I had a horrible childhood and didn't sleep well--being tired all the time does not lead to good mental health. Now I am depressed because I feel terrible everyday due to lack of sleep and near constant nausea.

I think if you feel you can be helped by an antidepressant, there is no need to avoid it. But I do think the depression you are suffering is likely benzo withdrawal/hormones/just general life stuff. And if you do become suicidal please do get immediate help. I have unfortunately seen the devastating consequence of suicide on those left behind.

Okay, I didn't realize you'd already made up your mind, I thought you were looking for opinions and practical coping strategies ... so I'll bow out now but sincerely wish you all the best.  Take good care.

I appreciate your help more than you know and absolutely understand where u are coming from. When I posted this I hadn't made my mind up yet. I just knew I was at my wits end and knew that the Lexapro I was on was not helping and I was so scared that it was what was causing me to think how I was. There are so many lawsuits out right now on Lexapro due to suicidal thoughts, etc. So when I talked with my new doc yesterday we concluded no matter the cause (AD or Benzo), it's better to err on the side of caution and switch to an AD that matches my DNA and see if my symptoms improve and THEN discuss how to get off the AD as opposed to being at the pits of despair and then adding an AD withdrawal to the immediate future. I need to get balanced first...then go from there.  I hope that makes sense. I don't want you to "bow out", as I respect what you are telling me and when it comes time for me to get off the AD I hope you will know how much I want and will need you there for support. 

I have genetic mutations also and SSRI ads made my anxiety and nausea and insomnia away worse.  I have tried several.  I was also on Effexor and then switched to Pristiq which I ultimately tapered off and felt better after I was off.  I was also much better off the SSRI  In my opinion, the lexapro could be making you feel so bad and you may feel better just getting off it.

No one wants you to be scared, FakeIt. I know you desperately want to get better and desperately hope that there is something to do to help... but the trap, like ABCD emphasises, is going on this dreaded merry-go-round, fixing one side-effect (or withdrawal symptom) with another drug. I have been there when drugged, ending up on 4 drugs at the same time. Getting worse and worse. Never functioning.

Do not let go of your critical thinking, especially now that you are "trying" a new drug. I believe my "small dose" of Effexor had a lot to do with sending me into "oblivion", perpetrating my food obsessions. I ended up feeling somewhat content about the situation. Logically, I knew, but somehow I didn't feel as bad... just beware, that can happen faster than you think. Those "medicines" change brain chemistry. I understand that you are looking for a temporary crutch to get through benzo-withdrawal, but please please please do not let go of your critical thinking. Do your research - don't only read good reviews and testimonies about a drug, you have to stay empowered!

As for AD withdrawal... I suppose your psychiatrist switched you from Lexapro to Pristik without crossing-over? Please beware. I was mostly "ok" cutting 5mg at a time BUT that was me. I say "mostly" because from 20 to 15mg, I was hit some weeks/months later with huge crushing fatigue. I am not saying this will happen to you, but see... I'd say that you have already taken a risk there. I know you have replaced Lexapro with Pristik, but there is no guarantee Pristik will rid you of any withdrawal symptoms from Lexapro. You may not have any trouble, I dearly hope it all goes smoothly for you... but I think this is already a risk which has been taken and you should be aware of that.

Perhaps you don't want to hear that ADs have down-falls... but I can't remain silent. I was harmed by polypharmacy and have suffered from coming off benzos AND ADs. I was on Effexor and believe my rapid discontinuation from 75mg has a lot to do with my current suffering, including akathisia. I have no way of knowing what's what - and that is a very common problem with people on multiple drugs.

I know you are scared and at your wit's ends trying to figure out what to do. You are not alone there. Let us know how you are doing, and of course, there will always be someone to support you!

Hugs  :smitten:

Julz xx

Thank you Julz!

I stopped Lexapro and just started Pristiq today. No tapering or cutting. Just a switch over.  I was very tired this morning after taking it but had a therapist appt so I got off the couch and showered and went. Also ran some errands.

My goal is to get through whatever it is I am going through; wether it is benzo withdrawal or just flat out clinical depression/anxiety, I am going to get through it and then get off of the AD. I know lots of people who have had to use an AD for a little while to get through a crisis and I am obviously in some sort of crisis that I need to get through.  I've never experienced anything like this in my life. If it is benzo withdrawal, I can't possibly go another six months or more as it's so clearly explained here that it will take for me to heal. I have not seen any success story of someone healing in less than six months or so. I am only now at the end of my third month and I am absolutely soent. My marriage is falling apart. I have a teenager witnessing me in crisis. I can't not work. I can't not function. It's not an option for me. Even if I have to take the ad for two years until my daughter leaves for college and THEN I can deal with the AD withdrawal if it is that bad. Or I can get better (heal)? And then take two years if I want to wean off the Pristiq. I will do that. But right now I have to try and see if I can get some relief and function.

Thank you so much for your encouragement and letting me know you are here to support me.

Thank you Julz!

I stopped Lexapro and just started Pristiq today. No tapering or cutting. Just a switch over.  I was very tired this morning after taking it but had a therapist appt so I got off the couch and showered and went. Also ran some errands.

My goal is to get through whatever it is I am going through; wether it is benzo withdrawal or just flat out clinical depression/anxiety, I am going to get through it and then get off of the AD. I know lots of people who have had to use an AD for a little while to get through a crisis and I am obviously in some sort of crisis that I need to get through.  I've never experienced anything like this in my life. If it is benzo withdrawal, I can't possibly go another six months or more as it's so clearly explained here that it will take for me to heal. I have not seen any success story of someone healing in less than six months or so. I am only now at the end of my third month and I am absolutely soent. My marriage is falling apart. I have a teenager witnessing me in crisis. I can't not work. I can't not function. It's not an option for me. Even if I have to take the ad for two years until my daughter leaves for college and THEN I can deal with the AD withdrawal if it is that bad. Or I can get better (heal)? And then take two years if I want to wean off the Pristiq. I will do that. But right now I have to try and see if I can get some relief and function.

Thank you so much for your encouragement and letting me know you are here to support me.

I know, there is NOTHING like benzo-withdrawal, it is totally indescribable ... and I dearly hope Pristik helps, truly! I trust that you will keep up updated  :thumbsup:

Sweet dreams  :smitten:

Julz xxx

The only caveat to keep in mind with Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) is that it has a relatively short half-life (11 hours), and it is in an SNRI class, meaning that inhibits norepinephrine reuptake. More norepinephrine in the brain may mean more anxiety in some folks. I guess I keep being amazed how different our physiologies are. There is no way I could have been able to tolerate SNRI's at any point in my life, but some people obviously seem helped by them.

Personally, I am not convinced that any neurotransmitter while in benzo w/d is at some fixed level. It feels to me that all of them seem to fluctuate and oscillate quite a bit, so I think that's one reason why anti-depressants and other psychiatric drugs can be a lot more dicey and unpredictable for the folks who have suffered CNS injury of some kind due to long-term of benzodiazepine exposure.

Good luck to you.

Thank you for the input. I am certainly hopeful my anxiety won't increase. I am also a relatively short term user (2.5 months) .5 once a day Ativan for 1.5 months and .5 Ativan once every three days for one month).

At this point three months out and going through everything in my life, it points more to true depression than benzo withdrawal or at least a combo of both. I was WAY overstressed and pushing myself emotionally which is what caused the heart issue and subsequent insomnia. I have to face the truth that my life was not perfect before the benzos and that the depression I have needs treated both medicinally short term and therapy longer term.

Yes. Hope things work out for you. At least for me, AD's were pretty simple in a sense that either I could tolerate the startup period or I couldn't. If you are not able to tolerate Pristiq, your body will most likely let you know.

Ativan is in a class of its own. Of course, it's much better to be on it short-term and stop then long-term, but it is a very sinister benzodiazepine that can start causing all kinds of minor health problems and abnormalities right from the start, without all these symptoms being easily attributable to Ativan. At least  that was my experience. Looking back, I'd suffered all kinds of symptoms from it, long before I started taking it on weekly and then daily basis. Of course, I wasn't as sick back then, but it was slowly getting worse.

So, yes, it seems that you are going through a really awful time in your life which seems to be what's causing so many problems, but I wouldn't discount heightened anxiety from the abrupt ativan stop as one of the contributing factors. It is good that you have made it here and recognized how weird Ativan can be.

Yes. Hope things work out for you. At least for me, AD's were pretty simple in a sense that either I could tolerate the startup period or I couldn't. If you are not able to tolerate Pristiq, your body will most likely let you know.

Ativan is in a class of its own. Of course, it's much better to be on it short-term and stop then long-term, but it is a very sinister benzodiazepine that can start causing all kinds of minor health problems and abnormalities right from the start, without all these symptoms being easily attributable to Ativan. At least  that was my experience. Looking back, I'd suffered all kinds of symptoms from it, long before I started taking it on weekly and then daily basis. Of course, I wasn't as sick back then, but it was slowly getting worse.

So, yes, it seems that you are going through a really awful time in your life which seems to be what's causing so many problems, but I wouldn't discount heightened anxiety from the abrupt ativan stop as one of the contributing factors. It is good that you have made it here and recognized how weird Ativan can be.

Thank you. I totally agree. If I could go back in time now I never would have agreed to go on the Lexapro. I would have let myself go through a few weeks and see if I felt better. But I had ZERO clue at that time that it could be the  Ativan that was the problem.

Butbi can't go back in time and all I can focus on right now is today. Worrying about the past or the future only increases my anxiety so I need to do the best I can do with the plan I've established with my psychiatrist at this point.  I am so blessed to have found her and that she wants me off the AD as soon as possible. She is anti benzo as well.

My question now is, can I defeat the depression with an AD and therapy if it IS indeed caused by the Ativan? Or do I seriously need to still wait a year to be "healed"??

I do feel worlds better than I did when I stopped the Ativan and now that I have been in Pristiq for two days I believe it was a good move to get off the Lexapro. But I am far far from healed because I can still feel the depression/anxiety when I try to watch TV or think about planning a vacation or something. I am still

not my old self by any means.

It is still hard to sit and relax and while I don't necessarily feel horrific anxiety, I find myself needing to distract. I walk Miles every day just because it's better than sitting around obsessing over things.

Just the fact that you were able to stop Ativan with no taper tells me that you are looking forward to getting better much sooner than you may think at the moment. As far as AD treatment and therapy helping, you know the best. It depends on you, the type of AD and whether you click with the therapist you are seeing. I wish you the best of luck.  :thumbsup:

[73...]

Just the fact that you were able to stop Ativan with no taper tells me that you are looking forward to getting better much sooner than you may think at the moment. As far as AD treatment and therapy helping, you know the best. It depends on you, the type of AD and whether you click with the therapist you are seeing. I wish you the best of luck.  :thumbsup:

Listen to your body  :thumbsup: as LorazepamFree suggests  We all need different things, to help us cope.

You are your best judge of that, And I wish you good luck also  :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...