Help! Doc tapering me way too quickly

[Ra...]

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of a 12 DAY taper off of 2-3 mg/day of Klonopin as prescribed by my doc. Seeing as I had to go to detox to switch from Klonopin to Librium I'm seeing an addiction medicine doc even though I've never abused Klonopin. The switch to Librium went okay, but from my research on this site and others tell me I'm tapering WAY too quickly. 2-3 mg/day of Klonopin to 50mg TID of Librium for five days, 25mg TID for three days, 25mg BID for three days, 25mg QD for three days, then stop. Today was my first day at 25mg BID and withdrawals hit a few hours ago. Very unpleasant. I just took 25mg of Librium and am going to try to hold at 25mg TID, but I'm quite worried as I have a seizure disorder. I'm wondering if I should up the Librium to 100mg/day until I hear back from the docs. I really don't want to have a seizure.

I've emailed both my Epileptologist and the Addiction Medicine department asking them to confer as I know my Epileptologist wanted a slow taper, not a quick one.

I'm so sick and tired of incompetent doctors. One put me on Klonopin for 13 years and the next wants a 12-day taper for someone with a seizure disorder. (I was also overprescribed seizure meds for years by my previous Neurologist. My present Epileptologist took me off one med and halved the other and I've been seizure-free.) Seriously, what's going on here? This is insane.

Could someone give me a bit of advice on how to tell my docs how to do their job correctly? I've reached my limit. I will no longer allow myself to be harmed by the American healthcare system.

Thanks,

Sparrow

I'm completely inexperienced RagingSparrow my problem is with Valium alone.  But not as inexperienced as your doctor by the look.  :idiot:

Good that you contacted your epidemiologist and Addiction Centre, and better still that epidemiologist wanted slow taper.  Seizure disorder, and doctor pulling you off quick, unbelievable.

I hope the conference between epidemiologist and Addiction centre goes well. 

Maybe someone with more experience here will give you greater and better advice.  Just wanted to say hi, and good luck. 

Dee

With your medical history and multiple medications, I do hope you can find a knowledgeable physician to help with your taper. From what I have seen, addiction doctors generally want to go pretty quickly. As you were probably told in your intro post, for people that have taken benzodiazepines for more than a few months, a place to start tapering is to reduce your daily dose by 5-10% every 7-14 days. You can then adjust the taper depending on how you respond.

Take care,

JKS

Thanks, JKS. That's exactly the plan I'm going to demand. I had to get quite assertive to get enough Librium to hold for three days after they said that I might have to go to the ER to get more after I run out tomorrow morning. I made it extremely clear that going to the ER was completely out of the question, and that they needed to do their cussing job. Finally got three days worth of Librium and am talking to my (competent) Neurologist in two days.

Sparrow

Well, my docs are refusing to prescribe meds to follow the Ashton Method. I have 10 25mg Librium capsules and have been told that I will not be prescribed any more. They upped my Gabapentin dose to 300mg TID so I hope that helps. I'm not looking forward to this.

Their rationale is that because I'm on seizure meds my chances of having a seizure are minimal, and that because Librium has a fairly long half-life it will taper itself. They seem quite unconcerned about withdrawal symptoms other than upping the Gabapentin.

This is not okay, but I'm poor and can't afford to see anyone outside of Kaiser. I can't force them to prescribe meds so it's going to be a three-day taper, then C/T.

I can't describe how frightened I am of this.

Sparrow

I'm so sorry you arent getting the support that you want from the doctors that you have. Try not to project too much in the future. It might not be bad, many people are able to stop benzos quickly without problems. Definitely keep your doctors posted on how you are feeling, even if you are not happy with them.

Take care,

JKS

Thanks. I've been doing quite a bit of research and there is some evidence that Gabapentin can be of significant use during a quick taper. Doc has me on 900mg/day of it. Crossing my fingers that this will work.

Sparrow

Good luck.  I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.  Maybe try to focus on the fact that the wds will end?  Keep talking and remember there are lots of people here who care about you.

Thanks, RandomGirl.

Well, I crashed this afternoon. Full withdrawals: anxious, wired, fuzzy headed, and can't stop moving my arms and legs. Just awful. I just took the two 25mg Librium capsules that I had left. The Kaiser Nurse I spoke to instructed me to go to the ER but after the 50mg Librium, I'm going to go to urgent care tomorrow morning.

Here's my problem: Because of my insurance I have to see Kaiser docs. They already severely messed up twice now. They flatly rejected a long taper. Just a straight up no.

What am I going to do? I refuse to do another fast taper. Just a straight up no, I won't. Then I'll be labeled non-compliant.

I'm losing it.

Sparrow

Sparrow,

I'm so sorry you have to go through this! Is there any chance you can find a benzo wise Dr and explain the situation? Maybe they could put you on a payment plan? Grrrrrr the system is so fucked!! Kaiser is so awful!!

Sending you love and support, keep us posted. 

Thanks, OliveKitty.

I went into Kaiser's urgent care clinic yesterday and was obviously treated like a drug-seeker. I figured out I've been designated as such because when I went to the pharmacy to pick up my whole three capsules of Librium I also asked for a refill of Lexapro. I was only allowed two weeks worth, and when I asked why the pharmacist asked if I was on suicide watch. I'm not, so there's something in my chart regarding drug-seeking.

I'm being treated as a fucking drug addict, as opposed to someone who took a harmful medication as prescribed by a doctor 13 years ago.

My life has descended into a living hell. I can't eat. I can't sleep. I'm becoming physically ill and fear I'm going to end up in the hospital if things don't change. I can't afford to see someone outside of Kaiser and I have no idea what to do.

I fear for my life.

Sparrow.

I'm sorry you're going through this! When I began my klonopin taper I just wanted off, I was uneducated and not aware of how bad withdrawal could be. I went to my doctor and had 13 pills left, he gave me a taper plan for what was left of my pills. I would take 1.5 for 5 days 1 mg 5 days .5 mg 5 days and so on, basically I went cold turkey. After my horrible withdrawal experience I went to see a Nurse practitioner and she was much more understanding. What I suggest is for you to see someone else, it isn't okay what your doctor is doing he's putting you at risk. Good luck.

Thanks, clairdelune.

Good News! After sending several messages to my addiction doc, she's finally figured out that I need a new plan. Kaiser has a benzo prescribing and withdrawal guideline that I found on the web, and it stated that a slow withdrawal is "The most effective" way of withdrawing from benzos. I also sent her the UK's NHS policy on benzo withdrawal, which said the same thing. She messaged back that she'll be conferring with my Neurologist and my Psychiatrist tomorrow and will set up a new tapering schedule.

Sometimes being really annoying works.

Sparrow

Thanks, clairdelune.

Good News! After sending several messages to my addiction doc, she's finally figured out that I need a new plan. Kaiser has a benzo prescribing and withdrawal guideline that I found on the web, and it stated that a slow withdrawal is "The most effective" way of withdrawing from benzos. I also sent her the UK's NHS policy on benzo withdrawal, which said the same thing. She messaged back that she'll be conferring with my Neurologist and my Psychiatrist tomorrow and will set up a new tapering schedule.

Sometimes being really annoying works.

Sparrow

Oh that is such good news Sparrow and a damn good job of finding that info.  Hope they come up with a good plan :)

Thanks, Mary and OliveKitty.

I'm at 25mg/day of Librium and holding, and acute withdrawals have stopped. Two and a half weeks of living hell, but no seizures. (I'm Epileptic.) We'll see if any more withdrawals happen after the last dose of Librium, which will be in a few days. I'm hoping that the 100-hour half-life of Librium will give me a relatively soft landing. Then I get to see if PAWS shows up.

My Neurologist recommended a Ketogenic diet to speed GABA receptor healing. It's not an easy diet but it's used for intractable Epilepsy so it does change brain chemistry. Has anyone else tried this?

This Gabapentin assisted quick taper isn't something I'd want to go through again, but if one wants off this crap NOW, and is willing to deal with acute withdrawal for a couple of weeks, it is an option. The fact that I didn't seize makes me think Gabapentin is useful.

I still have a lot of work to do, and I won't be 100% benzo-free until the end of the month with the long half-life, but there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you all for your help and support. I'll report back from time to time so folks know how this quick taper finishes.

Sparrow

Someone recently posted about having success with a Keto diet, I don't remember who or where but maybe you can search for it? Whoever it was was very happy about it.