Drop to 1mg Valium

[de...]

I am so tired of this ordeal and have to make change.

I'm using an emeryboard and find it is impossible to weigh.  I learned too late.

I'm currently <1.25mgs mgs Valium and still symptomatic.  The remnants of my pill looks really small and guesstimate that I am close to 1mg.  I have slight tremor, GI, pains in neck and shoulders, fluctuating BP (medicated), decreased DR, heart palpitations, depression with zero motivation, blah blah blah. 

I have both 5mg pills, and 2mg pills.  I did not do it properly and started cutting from my 5mg pill.  Cut into quarters (pill cutter) then shave with emery board.  Hence, 1.25mgs and shaving.  Nearly 2 months now. 

I'm thinking of halving my 2mg pill giving me an accurate measure from which to work, but am fearful.  Do others think this a good idea?  I thought I would do this beginning 29th May. 

Am forcing myself out of the front door today to buy food and the fruit necessary for my distraction painting of "Still Life in Withdrawal."  "Still, Life in Withdrawal."  It all depends where I put the comma. 

:smitten:

Dee

[a0...]

Hi, Dee.

Do you have an scale?  If so, even the inexpensive Gemini 20 scales (I own two plus a compounding scale) are able to give you enough consistency in measurement to keep you moving forward.

I do think splitting your 2mg tablets in 1/2 is a good idea giving you 1 mg of active ingredient in each half.  I spoke with a Pharm D a few months back and she confirmed the accuracy/consistency of splitting the 2mg table in half as the next best option to using a mortar and pestle and making powder.

Best of luck moving forward.

Thanks Ss24. 

I don't have a scale, but am prepared to buy one.  Just seems that having an accurate 1mg would help to make me less anxious and give a sense of my moving forward.  If this doesn't work for me I will make powder and weigh.  Oh Man, who would ever have thought....and my fear of maths is pathological. 

I have about 50 - 2mg pills at my disposal, surely 100 days will see me past the post? 

Thanks to your pharmacist, too, Ss24.  I am so confused.  "Wasted and wounded."  Just like Tom Waits said. 

Dee

The Gemini will work

It's finicky but there a few steps I took to help. If you ever get one I would be happy to go through some steps I took to help assure semi accuracy. According to others there is another scale made by Gemini that is more accurate but obviously is more expensive. But when I looked them up they seemed reasonable. I akm I st purchased one but was close to jumping do I didnt. I'll try to find the thread and post it if I can. Titration probably us more accurate but I've never done it myself as I don't drink milk and some say water was questionable. But others have done water titration and say it works.

I found one post and the scale was cell ed the Gem pro 250

When I originally searched for it there was the pro 250 and others listed.

Thank you so much for the scale research positivethoughts, so very thoughtful.  :)

I think I'll continue with my dry/emeryboard method for a little longer as am nervous about switching methods.  It does not make sense to me, but read of people getting into more difficulty when  switching.  This is probably when people switch to liquid, but my anxiety about the whole thing is high, and my mental aptitude in actually carrying it out, low. 

I have made the definite decision to cut to 1mg on 29th May and hold for however long it takes.  At this point I will have an accurate 1mg before me and it is then that I can see the trusty  :) Gemini coming into play. 

I have been sleeping so much more lately, throughout the day, ie.  A change from insomnia, and which is good.  Don't know if this is an direct result of WD or just my weary body demanding rest.  Whatever the case I'm happy to comply. 

Thank you again positivethoughts, you are definitely a supportive and caring warrior.  We need your likes in the world generally, the WORLD is a bitter pill at the moment.  I'm watching a documentary on Iran at the moment, and guess you take my point.  :'(

Onwards! 

Dee

Hi Dee,

I too was gonna hold my 2.25 mgs a day for another week, but instead I did my cut this morning. I had my pharmacy cut my 2 mgs into half's. I have 120 1 mgs pills and maybe 20 2 mg pills from my previous RX.

Like you I am afaraid but what I've read the normal hold time is 10 - 14 days.

I'm starting to feel like the sooner I can get this over with the better I may feel.

My current dose as of today will be 1 mg in am and 1 mg in pm.

Wishing you the best. :smitten::thumbsup:

I've cut a 5mg pill, a 2mg pill in half several times and never thought both halves looked the same. So cutting in half doesn't always mean half and in my opinion sure isn't accurate.

I would get a scale, weigh your pill and cut in half then compare the weight of what 1/2 should weigh, add or take away if needed.

Hi Sadoneoneme, thanks for responding.  :)

Looks like we're in the 1mg Club (me starting May 29) and yes, I'm scared too, but so want to be free.

I'm confused in that some people say if we hold for a long time the drug still builds in our body, and as Valium has a long half life this is of concern. 

There really is no way around it other than to proceed with caution and if it doesn't work, re-evaluate. 

Wishing you all of the very best Sadoneme, let's do this thing, 1mg has a better ring to it.  :thumbsup:

Dee

Thanks caltn.  That's what happens to me too.  The 'halves' don't always look the same.  The only way I have been able to address this is to take the larger 'half' first. Something I guess.  :(

When I start the 1mg on 29th May I will seriously consider scales. 

Thinking of manufacturing the Pisces scale in competition with the Gemini.  Two fish tied at their tails and swimming in opposite directions.  :D

Dee

I've been holding at 2.1mg for about 6 weeks, and holding at 2mg for about 10 days. I don't feel any better holding that I did tapering so yesterday  I started tapering again.

I'll taper for a few days , hold then start again and see how I feel in two weeks.

I'm at a point like you, I think I'll feel better once I get off this poison... and I'm so ready.

Hi Dee,

Yesssssssss to 1mg! For me it's 1 mg twice a day but that's awesome too. What's funny in my case is last night I forget to take my night time dose and was ok this morning. That is why I went ahead and did my scheduled cut.

I too worry about the long half live of Valium.

I have to agree with you on the half's not looking equal.

Good luck!

We will make it..

Hi all

Yes I too got tired and actually still do even off for over seven weeks. Wish I could help more. I'm glad everyone is trying to go down to 1 mg. It won't be long before your off.

Good luck to all in the 1 MG club

Try not to think too much if you get some withdraw symptoms if at all possible

Know that your body is healing and your not to far away from your goal

You got this as they say

I'm proud of all of you

When I got to 1mg I then cut roughly ten percent every 2 weeks. Hard to do without a scale. I saw a post to do a search and enter .ooo1 scale to find one better than the Gen 20 which might be good if you can afford it. Like I said on a previously the gem 20 is finicky . At this point The less obstacles the better if you can afford a better one.

Good luck Dee and Sadnome! Woohoo for 1 mg!  :thumbsup:

I'm not quite there yet...but getting there...currently splitting my 5 mg tablets in half, and even though those are made to be breakable, mine are never quite equal either.  ::) I may ask my NP for the 2 mg tablets next time I see her and make the switch while I'm still alternating doses, so that I'll be doing 2/5 instead of 2.5/5, then drop to 2 mgs with the next cut and proceed from there with the smallest available pill size.

Keep pushing forward, I'm rooting for you!  :smitten:

Gwinna

caltn, Sadoneme, and positivethoughts I just replied in a probably too long post and got zapped.  You are spared my ravings.  :)

Hope the 1mg Club doesn't turn into the 1 kiloton club  :D  It won't, and I am almost excited.  I am prepared now, positivethoughts, to cop whatever it dishes up to me, I am so tired of it.  I hear your words.  My days as manicurist in the mall are over and I'm going for liquid titration.  Manicuring never did pay much, and the hours long. 

Jim Hawke has offered to step me through, and it might help others who have a pathological fear of maths like me.  Fair dinkum, I just freeze, and numbers start swirling in front of my eyes.    :D:o

We can all do this thing, and I luv's ya's all. 

:smitten:

Dee

To all

I miss read some of your current dosages

No rush to get to 1 MG

You will get there soon enough

Go as slow as needed

As you  probably already  know

Recommended is 5 to 10 percent cut every 7 to 10 days

I usually held 2 weeks myself

Every one is different

I'm thinking of only the best thoights for all of you here.

You'll all have success im confident of that.

Hi Dee you are getting there.Remember this please when you get under 1mg cut less and hold longer.l know everyone on this forum quotes prof Ashton but a word of caution her trial was in the 80's and no-one has ever tested her study.She herself has admitted that it's too fast and probably slower is better.l know everything inside us is screaming get off but remember we have a long way to go when the taper is over.

Stut X

Yes, Guys, pls try not to rush the last... Let your symptoms guide you...

Dont worry about accumilation of meds in your body... -That happend as you started and will reduce as you taper... Holding wont effect it...

If your pill splitting isnt accurate, and you use one tablet at a time it should even out ok... I am splitting 2V into 8 pieces.. I get the largest tablet possible that wont crumble.. (much) -and alternate big, small, big, pieces...

Our taper speeds all differ, and change during our tapers, but as an example, I cut 0.25V then tend to need to hold 2-3months... -Its an overall taper speed that I often see working ok... But obviously whatever works for each person is right...  A Daily micro taper is probably ideal, but for those that choose not to, Pill splitting can be done if one is prepared to hold for some time as symptoms abate, or dictate..

wish you all the best as you find your way off the last of this horrid medication...

And I am 100% with Stut... Ashton can be much too fast for so many of us, for as many reasons...

Yes I totally agree with the slower the better

Especially if you are symptomatic on current dose. Once I got to 1 MG I needed to slow down more than previously. But if going from 1.25 to 1.0 is still a pretty big cut so go slower if you need. No need to rush you all will get there

I'm proud of all of you 

Sage advice.

Last night I was feeling so positive about cut to 1mg and am still taking this course.  I truly believe that my dry cuts with emery board have brought me to the brink of 1mg so am not concerned that this will be too large a drop.....but....

this  morning woke feeling so shite faced it's not funny.  :sick:

Does WD make you feel really nauseous, shaky, weird, and unable to cope?  I'm not eating and GI has reared its ugly head?  I think I should go to the doctor. 

Dee

Yes Dee it does so please don't push too hard.Throw away the calendar and go at a pace that suits you.Everyone pushes thinking l have to push through the acute symptoms but it just makes everything unbearable.Try to stop pushing trust me it's not easy to hold but you will get off easier in the long run.

Stut X

Thank you Stut just want to cry and cry so tired of this and no-one believes even when it is staring them in the face.  They turn away. 

Just going to curl up on the couch and hope for sleep.  I have set an appointment with the doctor for tomorrow if only to have my BP and heart checked.  I want to differentiate WD from possible side effects of new BP medication.  I feel really wrong. 

I'm just going to hold, I can do more more. 

Thank you Stut you are always there during the hard times and nothing makes sense and too sick to try. 

Dee xxx