8mg Xanax, 4mg Klonipin CT in a rehab

[Mi...]

Hey guys what’s up? I keep getting told by Drs that I am not alone in this...........but I am a very rare case. Long story short is that I was prescribed Xanax and Klonipin together. At its height, 4 years later, I was being prescribed 8mg of Xanax, and 4 mg of Klonipin. I tried 3 other Psychiatrists to see if they could help me taper. None would take me on because of the risks involved. I reached out to a therapist that was running an IOP group. Her answer was to go to the local Rehab center.

Upon getting there, first I was told that I was very lucky I didn’t die. Then was explained that I was a drug addict, and that I needed to stop taking the levels I was taking. Then I was Cold Turkied. My body went into total shock. Lost 60 lbs, appetite, smell, taste, and feeling in my face for 2 months, on top of a list of other things.

I guess my real question is: Is there anyone out there that is being labeled as an addict that do not have any other addictive tendencaies at all?

Also - Does anyone know of any place, even Nationally, that focuses on being over prescription along with a CT, and not just get lumped into the money making “rehabs” out there. This Cold Turkey was done on January of “17. Since then, have been put on Librium, then switched to Valium, just to avoid WD symptoms that were are occurring.

ANY ANSWERS, OR IDEAS WOULD BE GLADLY WELCOMED

You are NOT an addict. I'm wondering if people in rehab are told to tell that to people, that they are addicts. It's absolutely amazing that you've gotten this far without having a seizure. Rehabs are the worst place to go for benzo withdrawal. The people there should have been cheering you on that you made it!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't EVER believe anyone who says you are an addict!!! You were prescribed those pills, you took them as prescribed. The burden is on the medical establishment. That was a load of crap you were prescribed, and then they go running the other way when you asked for help. You should NOT feel that you are an addict at all.

You honestly just made my night. After going through the rehab experience, most drug addicts that were there were complaining about the food, or how they’d love to be somewhere else. Meanwhile I’m sitting there, shaking, sweating, cold, no appetite at all, face is numb. And I’m looking at them, and can’t figure out why I’m grouped into the “rehab” group. Do you know of anywhere that is Benzo specific? These are in a class all by themselves. The great thing is that I’m not fighting an actual addiction. Like right now, you couldn’t pay me money to take an extra sliver of an additional pilll.

But in all honesty, is there anywhere in the country or world, that could start me back on another taper, in contact with my current Dr, and I wouldn’t be grouped in with crack or heroin addicts. It’s amazing that these have taken such a back seat with all this. 

You went through what so many have experienced here, being treated poorly and then dismissed in a ct mess. There is either a complete lack of understanding of the whole benzo withdrawal experience, or they're in it for the money and figure if someone wants to go there, they'll benefit. It's really sad.

No, I don't know of any place that is benzo-specific. I wish there were such places. It would be so helpful!! But since so little has come out regarding benzos (but more and more keeps coming out because of the opoid crisis and people in general talking), things are very, very slow to change. Hopefully one of these days soon there will be.

Since doctors are for the most part either clueless or are running the other way when someone wants tapering help, it's difficult for those going through ct or rapid taper to get help. I think BB is the best there is, personally. Look through the different posts, do a lot of searches (in the far right corner below simple machines forum, and see who you can get in touch with to get recommendations.

I'm so very sorry that this happened to you!!! It shouldn't have, it really shouldn't. I don't trust doctors anymore when it comes to drugs. They don't realize that what they give you could take years to get off of. And then you are sent to a different doctor who wants to add more? No, thanks!!

Good luck to you!!!

I'm so very sorry you went through that horror. I just can't imagine...then being labeled like that...rubbing salt in the wounds.

When I first posted here a couple of long time members chimed in to tell me that I needed to do the research and own my taper, which I did. Basically I told my doctors what I was doing and they just gave me kudos for doing so. Both of them asked me what was going on and how they could help. While one had a tad more experience in this process, the other was clueless about tapering but did acknowledge that doctors, in general, had no idea the damage benzos could do and just handed them out like candy.

I'm not anti-doctor or anti-medication, but firmly believe that the medical world is operating mostly on educated opinions and some science and you should be in charge of your health. You should be your own advocate.

There's lot of great information on this board about different types of taper plans, lots of great posts from people who've been down this road. Seek them out, decide what you want and need to do and go from there.

Best of luck to you. You aren't alone.

Personally, I considered myself a functioning drug addict on Benzos. By definition, I required taking pills to function and there was hell if I didn’t. This of course is not to be confused with an illicit drug addict, however we all needed our “fix” nonetheless.

Good news, we’re all in recovery.