Benadryl

[Ro...]

Hello all BB,

I would like to know your thoughts about the following issue.

I have been having insomnia problems very often, as most of you have...

And as I am having also a hard time with other symptoms, is that I decided I could make it easier for myself in that aspect and to take a pill of Benadryl form time to time, to be able to have a good night sleep that night.

I know it's not good to take any medicine as I am getting rid of "the evil one"...

But...do you think that my decision is THAT bad?? That it could harm me in a way?

Please I need your thoughts!

Hello all BB,

I would like to know your thoughts about the following issue.

I have been having insomnia problems very often, as most of you have...

And as I am having also a hard time with other symptoms, is that I decided I could make it easier for myself in that aspect and to take a pill of Benadryl form time to time, to be able to have a good night sleep that night.

I know it's not good to take any medicine as I am getting rid of "the evil one"...

But...do you think that my decision is THAT bad?? That it could harm me in a way?

Please I need your thoughts!

During my taper, I took several other meds to address sxs and discomfort of wd.  Why not?

I took propranolol for tremors, acetamenaphine for headaches, and mirtazipine or antihistamines for sleep.  They all made tapering a little easier.

BTW, many folks here, including me, have found doxylamine to work better than diphenhydramine (Benadryl)

I'm alternating benadryl, doxylamine and no sleep nights for recovery.

I used benadryl and other meds during tapering with no problems. I used nothing during withdrawal,it wouldn't have been useful.

Benadryl works well for me, I take it at bedtime 25mg for allergies, and it helps me sleep too.  But I take it intermittently, not every night, so it won't lose its effectiveness.   

Used to be able to take it without any problems as an occasional sleep aid. But that was before I started taking the benzos. Now it stimulates me too much. I wonder if the stimulation I felt on it has to do with Benadryl's serotonin reuptake mechanism. Please do keep in mind that I am referring to what it sold as Benadryl in the United States, with diphenhydramine being the active ingredient. Different formulations of Benadryl around the world may or may not have diphenhydramine as an active ingredient, so the results may vary widely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wikiWh/Diphenhydramine

In the 1960s diphenhydramine was found to inhibit reuptake of the neurotransmitter serotonin.[55] This discovery led to a search for viable antidepressants with similar structures and fewer side effects, culminating in the invention of fluoxetine (Prozac), a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).[55][64] A similar search had previously led to the synthesis of the first SSRI, zimelidine, from brompheniramine, also an antihistamine.[65]

Hello BB!

Thank you for giving me your thoughts...they reassured me that I was not doing wrong!

I take Benadryl once in a while, ONLY when I need a break with my insomnia... :thumbsup: