Ativan Users Please

[Su...]

Hi,

I have recently noticed that Ativan, specifically Ativan long term users are highly prone to long term sleep disregulation after discontinuing. Pretty much every person on the insomnia thread is an Ativan user. I now hypothesize that different Benzos work in very subtly different ways. And because of that I don’t think the advice can be the same just because it is a Benzo. No, they are very different beasts.

If any Ativan long term users that have healed are out there, please reply to this thread with your current sleep state. This is very important information to have. Especially if any CT Ativan users have been able to get their sleep back.

Thank you in advance. I think this is very important info for future users.

Hi Su,

I disagree with your theory about Ativan being more detrimental to sleep than other benzos.  Those who took a z-drug have severe insomnia too.  I was a short-term user of Ativan.  2.5 months use.  I did not have insomnia.  I often had periodic wake-ups throughout the night in the beginning.  Insomnia is due to unstable blood sugar.  Diabetics get insomnia.  Hypoglycemics get insomnia.  The best thing to do is stabilize your blood sugar the best you can by eating a hypoglycemic diet.  Google it to find the foods you should eat and the ones to avoid.  Blood sugar during withdrawal is very unstable.  You can only do so much to keep it in balance.  But every little thing you do makes symptoms less severe.  Including insomnia.

Sofa

Sofakingdone...love the name by the way! Why do you disagree?

Shorter term users of Ativan can sometimes get through without the severe insomnia. I stopped taking Ativan for a couple of months about 5 months out after first starting. Not intentionally just didn’t feel I needed it. I could still sleep fine.

Had I known then what I know now I would never have taken one again but I did because I didn’t know.

My sleep disturbances pretty much only lasted through acute withdrawal and then dissipated. I've had just about every symptom you can get, otherwise, but just not this one. I do find that I need a lot of sleep though - 8-9 hours at minimum to not feel exhausted, which is up from my typical 7-8.

Interesting discussion ... who knows really if Ativan long term creates long term insomnia more than any other benzo .. I'm not sure any of us can ever give a difinitive answer in that because it's such an individual experience.

However , for me personally . I was a long term Ativan user forty plus years . So my experience is exactly as OP suggests.  My sleep is not 'better' at all.it is marginally better than when I was tapering admittedly as I do get a few 6-7 hour nights overall.I am not waking up with panic attacks as much anymore .. I am still bothered by endless bathroom visits when I do wake up.

I am envious of the posters who say hang in in there sleep will return ..mine does not appear to be .. I have managed to almost discontinue the zopiclaine but not quite. For me personally an I stress that point, I actually may not. Both my GP and .I agree that one tablet a week is not the end of the world. It's better than over 1000 Ativan a year and over 365 zopiclaine a year. He encouraged me to look at what I had achieved not that tiny step I hadn't .. so for now I'm just holding there.. one day it might go but I'm not hell bent on it just now.

So yes , as a long term Ativan user I am finding sleep is the one sx that hasn't got too much better. I am is better at managing it now ...