ready to start liquid titration and need a plan for 1 mg of colonazepam

[...]

Hi Everyone,

I am down to 1 mg of clonazepam per day .5 in am, .5 in pm and ready for milk titration. I have all the equipment. I would like to use all of my 1mg pill  (that is all I have) and split the mixture into too doses am and pm. I would like to do 10% decrease per week so I am finished in 100 days.

I would really appreciate a plan based on the above info.

I am so very blessed to have found this forum and people that know what I am going through. I am sooooo ready to be off this horrible drug.

Lisa :o

Hi Lisa,

You will need a 100ml cylinder (with 1ml increments or a syringe).  

Crush and mix thoroughly, your 1mg pill in 100ml's of liquid every day. Then, each day, remove an additional 1ml.

So,

Day one....Make your 1mg/100ml liquid mixture and remove 1ml. Immediately drink half the mixture in the morning. Save the other half for your evening dose. If using milk, make sure to refrigerate it. Also, make sure to re-shake it well.

Day two....Make your mixture and remove 2ml's. Do the same as above.

Day three....Remove 3 ml's. Do the same as above.

etc..... Keep a note book so you don't lose track.

You an always adjust the rate depending on how you are feeling.

Please ask if you have any questions.  :)

Hi Softail,

it is going good so far but I just started today. So I will keep you posted. I am writing in my progress log if you want to check it out every once in a while. I really appreciate you asking. It's nice to know people care and all of you can call me Lisa.

Hi Softtail,

I know you had been on benzos a shorter time then me 6 weeks and I started to taper at 8 weeks. I could of tapered faster with dry cutting but have opted to liquid titration mostly because of your experience and I am quite senstive to drugs. If I am reducing 1ml/day coming off of 1mg of C, this will mean I am off in 100 days right? If I am handling this okay with very little symptoms could I take 2ml/day and see how I feel?

Appreciate your input,

Lisa

Lisa exactly right.  1 ml for 1 g of c per day would be 100days.    and yes  if you are handling the symptoms ok.  go for 2 ml. per day.

Just remember, you can get fooled when you reduce because symptoms related to the reduction may not peak for 3 days to a week.after you make a cut.    Just don't do what I did, that is reducing by .25 mg. per week for 3 straight weeks.  On the start of the 3rd week I got hit with the kitchen sink.  Thats when I learned my lesson , started titration and slowed to 10% per week. :thumbsup:

st

Thanks Softtail,

And regardless of the peanut galleries comments (which may include Colin, but he will remain nameless) :laugh: I apprieciate your wisdom and imput! :) lol

Lisa

Just don't do what I did, that is reducing by .25 mg. per week for 3 straight weeks.   On the start of the 3rd week I got hit with the kitchen sink.   Thats when I learned my lesson , started titration and slowed to 10% per week. :thumbsup:

st

I am starting my klonopin titration process, with water, on thursday the 3rd.  My starting dose is .75mg a day (.5 morning, .25 night).  I will be reducing by approx .195mg every 2 weeks (- .0150mg every day) - too much?  Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi bpwbliss,

The best people to respond would be the moderators or Colin. Just create yourself a new thread under the liquid titration forum and give them all of your info on your medication and when you want to start etc. and they will get a plan set up for you as soon as possible.

I hope all goes welll with you!

Lisa :smitten:

bpw, just incase you check back here.  That would be a bit outside our recommendation for reduction speed , but not by much.  we recommend trying around 10% per week as a starting point.

Some just take the 10% the first day and stay at that percentage for the week.  Others like me,  creep up on the 10% per week by taking away 1 ml one day then 2 ml the next day , alternating the  ml. to get a total of 10 ml. in 7 days ( or 10% per week)

Either works, I just liked doing it a small amount each day.

For you 

Looks like would be doing a little over 12.5% per week, if you were to go with your formula, and if you have  no problems handling the symptoms , by all means go for it.

you can always slow down ( or speed up for that matter depending on your tolerence for symptoms that may pop up)

If you need help , like LIsa says, start a thread if you have not done so allready..

st

Softtail,

You and I were basically on C/K the same amount of time before we started tapering and the same amount for liquid titration. I was on it 8 weeks before I started tapering. I am not sure of what your titration plan was or how for long or what you experience was along the way. I am dealing with more anxiety after getting to 95ml. I still can sleep. THoughts are good. I think you said that the beginning of taper was tough but as you got lower it got easier. I know everyone is different. Also how long did it take you to feel normal after you last does.

Lisa

Also, Anyone my math skills aren't very good and worse while being on Benzos. As I am following the milk titration -1 mg with 100 ml of milk- If I take out 1 ml a day is that 10% reduction per week.

Hi,

Assuming you are following a linear taper (where the amount being cut is not growing any smaller as your taper progresses), then 1% per day is 7% per week. It would take 100 days (just over 14 weeks) to complete the taper.

As colin says, 1mg. per day is 7% per week.  I did 10% per week,  In order to do that, you have to take out 2 ml on 3 of those 7 days.

I alternated the days , 1ml  monday, 2 ml. tuesday, 1ml wed.  etc to get 10% per week.

for me I started to feel better when I got below .5 mg.

by the time I hit .03 mg.  I was basically feeling normal, and it just got better from there.

I am one of lucky  ones, but I am not the only one  here that has had this success.

When I started from 1.5 mg. originally, and followed my doctors advice to cut .25 mg. per week.  all went well for about 2 weeks, then I got nailed with symptoms I had never experienced before.  massive depression , anxiety attacks where I could't catch a deep breath for 5 days, loss of appetite. 36lbs worth, adrenalin rushes, uncontrollable crying fits. 

Took me 3 weeks to stabilize  then I did a stupid thing and listened to my shrink and added .25 mg. back in to my dose to take me back up to 1mg.

It was from this point I started titration at 10% per week.

St.

Thank you so much Colin, and Softtail,

It's such a crap shoot. I guess running your own race and listen to your body as an individual is the only way to go. Thanks for all your input and feedback. I am hoping I have an experience like you softtail. Going from 1.5 mg of C to 1 mg went well. I am having more symptoms going below 1mg but they are managable. Exercise and a postive attituted is helping. I will just "Stay the Course" with God's help and remember I am healing. ;)

Softtail,

I am thinking about going up to 10% reduction per week. First I will see how this 7% goes. Did you notice a lot of s/x at 10% per week.

Lisa

Lisa, the first 5 weeks at 10% yes , alot of symptoms, depression, anxiety, nervousness, crying fits, adrenaline rushes, and loss of appetite.

Once below .5 mg. things got alot better for me.

there may be an additional reason that helped me heal quicker , and that is the reason I was put on the drug.

For many here , they seem to have been prescribed the drug for some type of insomnia, or panic attack , or anxiety.  but for me I had none of these problems .

My reason to be on the drug was  to treat my RLS.  Unfortunately it did nothing for that, so once off I did not have to deal with any left over anxietys, or panics.  I did have some insomnia, and still do , but its related to how quickly I can fall asleep before my legs act up.  On a good night I go right to sleep at 11 or 11:30 and once asleep the Rls has no effect.  on bad night like last night , it was 2:30.  tonight , was not tired , so here I am on the computer.  lol.

still hope you get lucky and heal on the way down.

st

Hi Softtail,

Thanks for responding. That helps. I was put on C because of sever panic attacks so I was doing well tapering until I hit .94 mg. More anxiety and panic attacks have returned in a milder form. Mentally I am more prepared so as uncomfortable as the s/x are I managing okay. I think I will hold her for a bit to get stable. I am taking some great courses on how to recover from anxiety and panic attacks to be prepared for when I come off the C. Medications just masks the problem they don't fix it. so I am gain the tools I need now so I will be more prepared as I taper.

Slow and steady,

If there is one statement more true than anyothers I have read here , its"the medication only masks the problem , it doesn't cure it."

If there is one drug that this applies to more than some others , it has to be benzo's......

Some drugs have the ability to cure, or save your life ( ie  antibiotics,)  but this drugs only has the potential to wreck havoc with it, and ultimately the cure becomes the cause.....

Good luck Lisa  and keep pushing forward... :thumbsup:

st

Thanks Softtail.,

The support I get here really helps and it is nice to feel I am not alone!!!!

Onwards and upwards or I guess I should say downwards.