0.5 mg/night Xanax for 1 1/2 years taper with 2mg Valium

[be...]

Hello Everyone,

I've been taking a small amount of Xanax nightly (0.5 mg) for the past year in a half for insomnia. I've taken more than that amount before but never on a consistent duration so it could quite possibly mean that I have more in my system than that actual daily amount. I quit taking Xanax cold turkey 3 weeks ago but the withdrawal symptoms are HORRIBLE and still going. I've been suffering from sweating, shaking all the time, high anxiety, depression, sleep troubles, sensitivity to bright lights, headaches, and lethargy. I'm wondering if anyone could chime in with their experiences (or knowledge) of using Valium to help with Xanax withdrawal. My GP suggested 2mg Valium at night for PAWS but I'm not sure if this will be enough to curtail my withdrawal symptoms and eventually allow me to subside from using any benzo in the future. Question I have is whether or not I should I even try to start a tapering program if I've been off of Xanax for 3 weeks? Also, would this dose of Valium be enough to help me finally wean off these insidious medications?

Thanks,

2.5 mg is kind of low.  Has it worked for you?  I would take the least amount possible to curtail you wd symptoms.  The conversation is like .5 mg Xanax = 8 mg but that is an estimate. Check the Ashton manual.