Cipro for UTI and prostatitis

[tr...]

anyone else 12 months post cold turkey developed uti/prostatitis?  Do not want to go on cipro due to adverse effects to the CNS but may have to.  Any advice?  Thanks

I won't touch Cipro. Aside from the anxiety is can cause, it can also cause tendinitis and even tendon ruptures. A few months ago I developed some kind of cellulitis in my right eye. Doctor gave me Augmentin pills and cipro eyedrops. I told him I didn't want cipro, and he said the only alternative would be drops with sulfa drugs - which I also didn't want. So I got the cipro drops, and I took exactly four doses before I developed pain all up and down the backs of my legs. I called the doctor and told him I was going to stop the cipro drops, did he want to prescribe me some other drops? And he said, Oh no, the Augmentin pills are all you really need, the drops were just a little extra to speed things along. And I healed just fine on just the Augmentin pills. Hard to believe a doctor would give me a medication I told him I did not want and then when it began causing exactly the problems I was afraid it would cause, tell me that I didn't really need it. Incredible.

A lot of people have reported urinary difficulties during benzo withdrawal and recovery. It's very common. What makes you think you have a uti and prostatitis? Pain? Test results? Excess protein in urine?

Prostatitis is only caused by bacteria in 5% of cases. Doctors are ridiculous as treating "prostatitis" with antibiotics is useless. The correct term is actually chronic pelvic pain syndrome and its not caused by the prostate, it's caused by constant muscle contractions surrounding the prostate. It makes sense in benzo withdrawal that you would have a tight pelvis. Get a book called Headache in the Pelvis and learn to relax it. Also stay away from sexual activity as this further contracts the muscles and makes it worse. Often youll feel burning or pain in your perineum.

I'm sorry but your doctor is quite simply stupid and is living in the dark ages. It really angers me the level of ignorance some have on this topic.

Prostatitis is only caused by bacteria in 5% of cases. Doctors are ridiculous as treating "prostatitis" with antibiotics is useless. The correct term is actually chronic pelvic pain syndrome and its not caused by the prostate, it's caused by constant muscle contractions surrounding the prostate. It makes sense in benzo withdrawal that you would have a tight pelvis. Get a book called Headache in the Pelvis and learn to relax it. Also stay away from sexual activity as this further contracts the muscles and makes it worse. Often youll feel burning or pain in your perineum.

I'm sorry but your doctor is quite simply stupid and is living in the dark ages. It really angers me the level of ignorance some have on this topic.

Hello Hootie99-

In case you are unaware, we have a strict policy regarding Doctor bashing. Please familiarize yourself with the forum Rules & Guidelines. and refrain from making these types of remarks in the future.

Bella

I apologize. My wife is a doctor and so are most of my friends. My intention was not to bash doctors but really just that unnamed doctor in particular. It can be quite frustrating!

• 3 months later...

From what I've been told, doctors may prescribe certain antibiotics based upon the area one lives.  What's in the water, environment, etc.  Some antibiotics may not be as effective in certain areas.

Also, in case anyone might not know this, sitting for long periods in and of itself is also documented to cause/aggravate bladder issues.