To start or not to start?

[...]

I took my last dose of .25 mg Klonopin exactly one month ago, which I now know was much too quick but I never reinstated. I would like to now start tapering off of Trazodone but I am hesitant because of my w/d symptoms from Klonopin. My dose of Trazodone is one tablet of 50 mg that I take before bedtime.

Thanks to all of my benzobuddies out there, I understand and accept the pain I'm experiencing. My worst demon is insomnia, trailed by tinninitis, memory loss and muscular aches. Minor symptoms are lack of appetite, some bouts of sadness/weeping, belly fat gain.

I get a full 7 hours sleep after 2-4 nights of no sleep. Tinntinitus hasn't been as bad, but does flare up from time to time.

So here's the big question. If I'm not sleeping anyway and I'm having all these problems, what difference would it make if I begin a titration program to wean me off Trazodone? Would it make things even worse? When is the "right" time? I realize there isn't a one size fits all answer, but any advice could help me make the right decision.

Hi, Suz.

I had a similar dilemna about Seroquel.  It was helping me sleep while tapering but I needed to get off of it.  I tried 3 times to do so after I finished my taper until I finally succeeded.  I waited 2 months before the first try because I was still pretty symptomatic from my taper.  Of course, if the trazadone isn't helping you sleep, maybe you would actually feel better getting off it.  When I took trazadone (years ago), I got pretty bad headaches the next day.  I also found I needed to keep increasing the dose to get the same effect (sleep) and all kinds of alarm bells went off in my head.  ::)

Thank you Beeper. I may wait a little bit longer then. Maybe another month until things regulate a little more. During those three times, how did you taper your Seroquel?

I cut up the tablets and dropped 1/4 of a tablet every few weeks.  When I got to 25mg, I just stopped.  ;)