Stomach Healing Support

[So...]

I found my place to post finally!

Updated my signature with my withdrawal journey.  Note that due to not being educated, I thought the worst was over once I got off the Clonazepam and that any s/x I was having were medical concerns.  In March, I had the flu and took some advil.  After this, I had burning stomach pain anytime I ate, went to the doctor and was thought to have gastritis.  Went on short term PPI and zantac.  I'm realizing now I was likely suffering from the "benzo flu" and GI issues related to withdrawal as this was when I got off Paxil.  3 weeks later, I got the stomach flu (this was legitimate as my husband also got it) and had GI issues for several more weeks that eventually subsided.

Flash forward to July, I had multiple weekends of drinking and was hit with the worst stomach pain of my life.  Burning, gurgling, chest pain, gas, nausea, vomiting.  Went back to doctor who assumed I had gastritis again.  Was given short term PPI and had an endoscopy.  The doctor saw nothing wrong with my stomach and believed that I was "hyper sensitive" and gave me a medicine to help with that.  I was a little out of it when I had the endoscopy so I researched it when I went home and it was an anti depressant!  Nope, not taking that.  I also stopped taking the PPI as I don't want to have to wean off yet another drug.  There has been no improvement or exaggeration of symptoms before and after the PPI.

The worst thing is during this time when I thought I had just very bad stomach issues, I thought why not take the couple leftover Clonazepam/Valium I have to see if that works.  I took 3 over the course of 3 weeks which I now realize is incredibly dumb and probably with the drinking has put me back into a state of acute withdrawal.  My issue is I just assumed that I was done with the Clonazepam withdrawal and having a dose every now and again during severe anxiety would be ok.  Nope - never again - extremely dumb.

It was finally at this time I found Benzo buddies and a bunch of helpful articles that showed me that even months later, I need to be careful and consider myself as still withdrawing from Clonazepam.  Drinking had been a huge mistake and one I won't repeat any time soon.  I am still kicking myself for not being educated in all of this prior to then.  It also explained my "flu" and subsequent GI issues back in March as well as my new GI issues. 

Over the past month, I've had on and off again GI issues: gurgling stomach, heart burn, burning stomach, bloating, gas, nausea/vomiting, and at times no appetite. I lost 12 lbs in the past month.  I really don't want to lose anymore weight  so I'm trying to force myself to eat but it's hard.  I had a banana this morning which was difficult to eat and then caused intense stomach burning and gurgling.  I ended up taking a couple Gaviscon which slightly relieved the burning.

The only hope I have now is that I got through this in March and I've made some big lifestyle changes since all of this happened.  I'm looking forward to being able to eat again normally.  I'm taking some probiotics now to see if that helps too.

If anyone bothered to read to the end, thank you!  I find writing this to be therapeutic and helpful.  I probably need a diary.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ul...]

• [NJ...]

• [So...]

• [Ca...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I found my place to post finally!

Updated my signature with my withdrawal journey.  Note that due to not being educated, I thought the worst was over once I got off the Clonazepam and that any s/x I was having were medical concerns.  In March, I had the flu and took some advil.  After this, I had burning stomach pain anytime I ate, went to the doctor and was thought to have gastritis.  Went on short term PPI and zantac.  I'm realizing now I was likely suffering from the "benzo flu" and GI issues related to withdrawal as this was when I got off Paxil.  3 weeks later, I got the stomach flu (this was legitimate as my husband also got it) and had GI issues for several more weeks that eventually subsided.

Flash forward to July, I had multiple weekends of drinking and was hit with the worst stomach pain of my life.  Burning, gurgling, chest pain, gas, nausea, vomiting.  Went back to doctor who assumed I had gastritis again.  Was given short term PPI and had an endoscopy.  The doctor saw nothing wrong with my stomach and believed that I was "hyper sensitive" and gave me a medicine to help with that.  I was a little out of it when I had the endoscopy so I researched it when I went home and it was an anti depressant!  Nope, not taking that.  I also stopped taking the PPI as I don't want to have to wean off yet another drug.  There has been no improvement or exaggeration of symptoms before and after the PPI.

The worst thing is during this time when I thought I had just very bad stomach issues, I thought why not take the couple leftover Clonazepam/Valium I have to see if that works.  I took 3 over the course of 3 weeks which I now realize is incredibly dumb and probably with the drinking has put me back into a state of acute withdrawal.  My issue is I just assumed that I was done with the Clonazepam withdrawal and having a dose every now and again during severe anxiety would be ok.  Nope - never again - extremely dumb.

It was finally at this time I found Benzo buddies and a bunch of helpful articles that showed me that even months later, I need to be careful and consider myself as still withdrawing from Clonazepam.  Drinking had been a huge mistake and one I won't repeat any time soon.  I am still kicking myself for not being educated in all of this prior to then.  It also explained my "flu" and subsequent GI issues back in March as well as my new GI issues. 

Over the past month, I've had on and off again GI issues: gurgling stomach, heart burn, burning stomach, bloating, gas, nausea/vomiting, and at times no appetite. I lost 12 lbs in the past month.  I really don't want to lose anymore weight  so I'm trying to force myself to eat but it's hard.  I had a banana this morning which was difficult to eat and then caused intense stomach burning and gurgling.  I ended up taking a couple Gaviscon which slightly relieved the burning.

The only hope I have now is that I got through this in March and I've made some big lifestyle changes since all of this happened.  I'm looking forward to being able to eat again normally.  I'm taking some probiotics now to see if that helps too.

If anyone bothered to read to the end, thank you!  I find writing this to be therapeutic and helpful.  I probably need a diary.

I read it until the end!!!

I can relate a lot to your story...I was also drinking during the first "stage" of my taper...my gastritis wasn't that bad. Today I have horrible digestive issues and I'll better be safe than sorry.

lots of healing vibes to you, I survived a few days on just bananas and otameal. Yoghurt is also a great ally.

hope you feel better...

blossom

• 9 months later...
Hi I'm wondering if there are still people here needing support with GI issues. It turns out that i've been suffering from silent reflux for the last month or so, i'm 26 months after stopping benzos, and was doing really well improving fast up until 3 months ago, when I got sick with flu, and ended up having to self treat as I couldn't get into any doctor's office, they would only see me on telehealth because of covid, they prescribed me several courses of abx over telehealth, without testing me, and I ended up in a terrible setback from azithromycin. It's been 2.5 months since I took that azithromycin, and i'm suffering badly. i think the antibiotics messed up my stomack very badly, so right after I stopped them, i had terrible stomack issues, that I had to treat with famotidine. I started taking 20 mg twice a day, and have been taking them ever since. I tried to reduce the dose, but every time I did my stomack would go right back to burning. My stomack finally settled down, i stopped experiencing any more discomfort, but also stopped trying to quit famotodine for now, decided to wait till i'm more stable. I'm also now on trazodone to help me sleep, whereas just 3 months ago I was off all meds, and in a good physical shape.. Now this last month I started developing what I thought at first were bad allergies, with terrible post nasal drip, sore throat, hoarse voice, and a lot of bad coughing, main?ly caused by post nasal drip. I tried to treat allergies with a bunch of supplements and with loratidine, but nothing worked.. When I finally had a day when i had a little bit of an upset stomack and I took some dgl, and I suddenly noticed that it helped my cough too, i didn't have as much cough that day.. Long story short, I've come to realize that I probably developed silent reflux with no other sx than what I described, but those sx are making me miserable, so i've decided to self treat myself.. and i got some gastro -ease tabs ( zinc/carnitine) and dgl, and started them two days ago.. I also put a wedge under the head of my bed, hoping that will help with the reflux. My questions is for those who are dealing with GI issues? do you think i gave myself the right diagnosis? or does it sound like the right diagnosis based on my symptoms, also is it ok to take zinc-carnitine and dgl alongside famotidine?  am I doing everything I can or do you think there's anything else I can do to help the reflux? TIA, Kathy.

Hi I'm wondering if there are still people here needing support with GI issues. It turns out that i've been suffering from silent reflux for the last month or so, i'm 26 months after stopping benzos, and was doing really well improving fast up until 3 months ago, when I got sick with flu, and ended up having to self treat as I couldn't get into any doctor's office, they would only see me on telehealth because of covid, they prescribed me several courses of abx over telehealth, without testing me, and I ended up in a terrible setback from azithromycin. It's been 2.5 months since I took that azithromycin, and i'm suffering badly. i think the antibiotics messed up my stomack very badly, so right after I stopped them, i had terrible stomack issues, that I had to treat with famotidine. I started taking 20 mg twice a day, and have been taking them ever since. I tried to reduce the dose, but every time I did my stomack would go right back to burning. My stomack finally settled down, i stopped experiencing any more discomfort, but also stopped trying to quit famotodine for now, decided to wait till i'm more stable. I'm also now on trazodone to help me sleep, whereas just 3 months ago I was off all meds, and in a good physical shape.. Now this last month I started developing what I thought at first were bad allergies, with terrible post nasal drip, sore throat, hoarse voice, and a lot of bad coughing, main?ly caused by post nasal drip. I tried to treat allergies with a bunch of supplements and with loratidine, but nothing worked.. When I finally had a day when i had a little bit of an upset stomack and I took some dgl, and I suddenly noticed that it helped my cough too, i didn't have as much cough that day.. Long story short, I've come to realize that I probably developed silent reflux with no other sx than what I described, but those sx are making me miserable, so i've decided to self treat myself.. and i got some gastro -ease tabs ( zinc/carnitine) and dgl, and started them two days ago.. I also put a wedge under the head of my bed, hoping that will help with the reflux. My questions is for those who are dealing with GI issues? do you think i gave myself the right diagnosis? or does it sound like the right diagnosis based on my symptoms, also is it ok to take zinc-carnitine and dgl alongside famotidine?  am I doing everything I can or do you think there's anything else I can do to help the reflux? TIA, Kathy.

Wow, that's a lot to have gone through! I'm probably the last person in the world to respond to this because I think I tried every supplement for every known condition along the way up to this point. My GI issues were huge. For me, I eventually learned that "less is more" and did much better after that. I spent so much time chasing supplements and treating various conditions, then I learned to back way off. Now, I hardly take anything and I also really watch what I eat. So much better! The other big part of the challenge for me was the psychological part. I had to do things to force myself to turn my attention away from all of my GI issues. I tried to focus on life overall rather than just my GI challenges. If I get hit with GI issues now, I just try to roll with them and move on. No more wondering about what's wrong or what I can take to help the situation. I literally got physically and emotionally tired from going to the gastroenterologist, colonoscopy, ultrasounds, etc. We all have to do what we think is best for us. I hope you find your way out of this before long. Keep up the fight, trust your body and gut feelings, and move forward in a healing way. Take care!!!

Wow, that's a lot to have gone through! I'm probably the last person in the world to respond to this because I think I tried every supplement for every known condition along the way up to this point. My GI issues were huge. For me, I eventually learned that "less is more" and did much better after that. I spent so much time chasing supplements and treating various conditions, then I learned to back way off. Now, I hardly take anything and I also really watch what I eat. So much better! The other big part of the challenge for me was the psychological part. I had to do things to force myself to turn my attention away from all of my GI issues. I tried to focus on life overall rather than just my GI challenges. If I get hit with GI issues now, I just try to roll with them and move on. No more wondering about what's wrong or what I can take to help the situation. I literally got physically and emotionally tired from going to the gastroenterologist, colonoscopy, ultrasounds, etc. We all have to do what we think is best for us. I hope you find your way out of this before long. Keep up the fight, trust your body and gut feelings, and move forward in a healing way. Take care!!!

Thank you so much for your support Ultra, i agree with you less is more is a great way to approach this.. That's what i've noticed since I started taking a bunch of supplements to aid my digestions it seems to have gotten even worse than it's been.. Maybe because i'm not consistent, and keep trying a bunch of different things at the same time. I know I should just stick to a diet, and I do  but the diet that I feel I need is the kind that will make me lose more weight, and I can't afford to do that right now. I've already lost too much. Do you mind me asking you about your diet? Are you still on it or your issues are completely resolved at this time? How many months did it take before you got better? Thank you again for your help, i'm very glad that you are doing better now. Kathy.

[d9...]

Hello I am a bit too sick to read all these nice post sorry

I have gastritis because of covid, I don't think benzo or Effexor withdrawal.

Is it bad to taking lorepramide? I have no meds so I only drink water and cannot eat healthy foods because where I am they do not have

Is there any things I can do? Now I trying simple yoga poses for gastritis

Thank you for readingb

Thank you so much for your support Ultra, i agree with you less is more is a great way to approach this.. That's what i've noticed since I started taking a bunch of supplements to aid my digestions it seems to have gotten even worse than it's been.. Maybe because i'm not consistent, and keep trying a bunch of different things at the same time. I know I should just stick to a diet, and I do  but the diet that I feel I need is the kind that will make me lose more weight, and I can't afford to do that right now. I've already lost too much. Do you mind me asking you about your diet? Are you still on it or your issues are completely resolved at this time? How many months did it take before you got better? Thank you again for your help, i'm very glad that you are doing better now. Kathy.

Hey Kathy! I understand the part about losing weight by eating a certain way, etc. Maybe just go back to as close to zero as you can. In other words, work your way back to very few supplements and let your body do what it wants to do (while continuing to take in good calories)...the body wants to find homeostasis and work "normally". When we feel a certain way we often look outside of ourselves for answers first, things like meds and supps. If given the right environment, our bodies will often find their own way via natural things like fresh water, real food, moderate exercise, uplifting things going into the mind, etc. It took me about 6 months to figure out the part about just eating what's right while kind of riding the storm(s) out. I'd throw in some Miralax here and there to help with contstipation (which has been a huge challenge since the very beginning of my taper), but mostly I just did the best I could and then rolled with things. These days I mostly stay away from meat because that throws me into a constipation fury unless I'm super careful, and I really minimize caffeine and sugar. If my anxiety is really low, then I'll indulge in my favorite chocolate or maybe a grass fed burger, but not super often. That has been a MASSIVE challenge for me and it gets me at times. I eat a decent amount of fruit and I've learned to really like vegetables. Smoothies work fantastic since they're easy to digest (soups too), so I often start my day off with those. I also stay away from eating too much at one time. I try to space my eating over the course of a day which has really helped with digestion. I do drink tons of water. I have a Berkey water filter and I love it. I love good coconut water too. So, my issues are definitely not resolved at this time, but they're a ton better than months ago. I think we all just need to gradually find what works for us and then make minor adjustments as we go. Adding too much of anything (especially supps) can really throw things off. I sincerely hope you find relief and great healing soon. Keep your head up!!

Jeff

Hey Kathy! I understand the part about losing weight by eating a certain way, etc. Maybe just go back to as close to zero as you can. In other words, work your way back to very few supplements and let your body do what it wants to do (while continuing to take in good calories)...the body wants to find homeostasis and work "normally". When we feel a certain way we often look outside of ourselves for answers first, things like meds and supps. If given the right environment, our bodies will often find their own way via natural things like fresh water, real food, moderate exercise, uplifting things going into the mind, etc. It took me about 6 months to figure out the part about just eating what's right while kind of riding the storm(s) out. I'd throw in some Miralax here and there to help with contstipation (which has been a huge challenge since the very beginning of my taper), but mostly I just did the best I could and then rolled with things. These days I mostly stay away from meat because that throws me into a constipation fury unless I'm super careful, and I really minimize caffeine and sugar. If my anxiety is really low, then I'll indulge in my favorite chocolate or maybe a grass fed burger, but not super often. That has been a MASSIVE challenge for me and it gets me at times. I eat a decent amount of fruit and I've learned to really like vegetables. Smoothies work fantastic since they're easy to digest (soups too), so I often start my day off with those. I also stay away from eating too much at one time. I try to space my eating over the course of a day which has really helped with digestion. I do drink tons of water. I have a Berkey water filter and I love it. I love good coconut water too. So, my issues are definitely not resolved at this time, but they're a ton better than months ago. I think we all just need to gradually find what works for us and then make minor adjustments as we go. Adding too much of anything (especially supps) can really throw things off. I sincerely hope you find relief and great healing soon. Keep your head up!!

• 1 month later...

How is everyone doing? I can relate so much to Kathy’s post I am experiencing all of the same digestive issues as well as a setback from a single dose of an antibiotic. I had food poisoning and am back in withdrawal along with post infectious IBS. It’s been two months since the food poisoning and six weeks since the setback.

Hope everyone is doing okay would love any thoughts or support. Thanks!

Hello x I’m glad I found this thread. I went into interdose withdrawal in November 2018, immediately had gi symptoms, mine manifested as malabsorption, sorry to give tmi, yellowish greasy stools. Lost a lot of weight, chronic insomnia. Lost about 15 kg. Had multiple gastro doc appointments, colonoscopy and endoscopy ct scans, mris. Nothing found, only mild pancreatic insufficiency. I was put on crown, with is a strong enzyme, but it made things worse. I was getting horrendous pain upper right quadrant, but liver tests came back normal. I now take probiotics and naturopathic enzymes, things are slightly better, but stools are still the same, tho not going as often. Has anyone else had malabsorption issues?

How is everyone doing? I can relate so much to Kathy’s post I am experiencing all of the same digestive issues as well as a setback from a single dose of an antibiotic. I had food poisoning and am back in withdrawal along with post infectious IBS. It’s been two months since the food poisoning and six weeks since the setback.

Hope everyone is doing okay would love any thoughts or support. Thanks!

You're  Wonder Woman, so you should be helping US!! :) :) . Kidding, of course, and wow, food poisoning. You've really been through it. As they say, you gotta go through it to get to it. We all have a different "it" in many respects, but benzo-free and healthy is probably a mutual goal for most of us. I sincerely hope you're somewhat better now post-poisoning. Keep up the great fight though! I bet you're doing the right things, but sometimes we question ourselves. This thread used to be more active and give a few people to bounce ideas off of, but we can get it going again. My GI issues are pretty continuous, but they're SO much better than the first few years of my taper. For me, less is more, so I don't take many supplements at all, and I just try to eat right, drink nothing but water, and stay as active as I can. Had to start working full-time a year ago due to financial headaches, and that threw a huge wrench into the GI fun, but I can work around it. It's always something, so we might as well get comfortable with being uncomfortable until the healing day hits :)

Have a mega positive day!

Jeff

Hello x I’m glad I found this thread. I went into interdose withdrawal in November 2018, immediately had gi symptoms, mine manifested as malabsorption, sorry to give tmi, yellowish greasy stools. Lost a lot of weight, chronic insomnia. Lost about 15 kg. Had multiple gastro doc appointments, colonoscopy and endoscopy ct scans, mris. Nothing found, only mild pancreatic insufficiency. I was put on crown, with is a strong enzyme, but it made things worse. I was getting horrendous pain upper right quadrant, but liver tests came back normal. I now take probiotics and naturopathic enzymes, things are slightly better, but stools are still the same, tho not going as often. Has anyone else had malabsorption issues?

Holy cow, so much of your background sounds just like mine! Tests, procedures, enzymes, etc. Everybody finds different answers, but for me, slowing the taper down along with decreasing the different things that go into my body (supplements and food types) helped with the overall GI issues. I started to eat softer foods and that helped. I can't really say if malabsorption became an issue. I was told that taking lots of different supplements can interfere with overall absorption of nutrients, and things really evened out when I cut back. As usual, less is more. I got my body used to the same foods and liquids going in (consistent rhythm), and things just started working much better as far as digestion, etc. Also, I think another big thing was that I psychologically accepted where I was, which took a lot of pressure off myself. I just sort of rolled with things and stopped chasing answers. Upper right quadrant pain...I had that too and still do on occasion, but it's much less invasive than in the past.

We'll all just keeping moving along and find our own answers. You hang tight!!!

• 1 month later...

Holy cow, so much of your background sounds just like mine! Tests, procedures, enzymes, etc. Everybody finds different answers, but for me, slowing the taper down along with decreasing the different things that go into my body (supplements and food types) helped with the overall GI issues. I started to eat softer foods and that helped. I can't really say if malabsorption became an issue. I was told that taking lots of different supplements can interfere with overall absorption of nutrients, and things really evened out when I cut back. As usual, less is more. I got my body used to the same foods and liquids going in (consistent rhythm), and things just started working much better as far as digestion, etc. Also, I think another big thing was that I psychologically accepted where I was, which took a lot of pressure off myself. I just sort of rolled with things and stopped chasing answers. Upper right quadrant pain...I had that too and still do on occasion, but it's much less invasive than in the past.

So good to hear from u! Yes mine settled down a little now too, not taking enzymes last 2 weeks, just seeing if my body can do it’s thing, so far so good. I think ur right, the not knowing was scaring the sh*t outta me literally, so now that I know what’s wrong things have been better. I get ruq pain maybe once or twice a month now. I think I was trying to put so much in my body to stay well I just overwhelmed it. Great to hear I wasn’t going crazy like the drs said! Amazing how many systems in the body are effected. It really is catastrophic

So good to hear from u! Yes mine settled down a little now too, not taking enzymes last 2 weeks, just seeing if my body can do it’s thing, so far so good. I think ur right, the not knowing was scaring the sh*t outta me literally, so now that I know what’s wrong things have been better. I get ruq pain maybe once or twice a month now. I think I was trying to put so much in my body to stay well I just overwhelmed it. Great to hear I wasn’t going crazy like the drs said! Amazing how many systems in the body are effected. It really is catastrophic

Like they say...benzos can affect anywhere in the body where there are nerves. The entire central nervous system! So, nothing surprises me anymore. You hear about people's sx and wonder if they can possibly be benzo-related...they most definitely can. I've had dozens and dozens of sx and freaked about each one (in the beginning). Now I just let them roll off my back, and on to the next I go! It may be a little risky, but I got tired of running to the doctors (who are mostly clueless) every time a side effect popped up. Time heals. Bless you!

Yes exactly. I had every test known to man and then some. I only talk to my dr to get scripts now. Which I’m sure she’s greatful for! So many tests ...