Study re: other medications used to help with benzo withdrawal

[La...]

This study, called "Challenges of the pharmacological management of benzodiazepine withdrawal, dependence, and discontinuation", looks at some medications that have been studied for use during benzo withdrawal.

Excerpt:

Results:

The efficacy of these medications is not robust. While some of these medicines are relatively safe to use, some of them have a narrow therapeutic index, with severe, life-threatening side effects. Randomized studies have been limited. There is a paucity of comparative research. The review has several limitations. The quality of the documents varies according to whether they are randomized studies, nonrandomized studies, naturalistic studies, pilot studies, letters to the editors, or case reports.

Conclusions:

The use of medications for the discontinuation of BZDs seems appropriate. It is a challenge that requires further investigation through randomized clinical trials to maximize efficacy and to minimize additional risks and side effects.

Some of the medications studied are listed below:

Propanolol

Clonidine

Progesterone

Baclofen

Lamotrigine

Trazodone

Valproic Acid

Carbamazepmine

Gabapentin

Pregabalin

Flumazenil

Diazepam

Imipramine

Baclofen

Melatonin

Valerian

Link to study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5896864/ 

Thank you for this; I’m on Gabapentin and was working for 7 months but all of the sudden it’s not at 3000 mg. I’m scared. Thinking of asking Dr. for Lyrica as well

You're welcome. The only thing I can say on that is to do more reading and make decisions based on the best info you can find. All meds have side effects, so there's risk.

I wonder if any of them are glutamate blockers?

I see Mementine is not on there. I know it was being looked at at one point.

I love that a Diazepam is on the list given that is what I’m trying to get off of...

I was given Baclofen for severe dystonia symptoms I developed.

It is a strong muscle relaxant and a GABAb agonist.

It relaxed all my muscles to the point I couldn’t get up off the floor.

If I hadn’t had to taper off of that I don’t think I would have given in and reinstated.

People say it is not a problem to withdraw from. There are studies showing otherwise.

Unfortunately if my muscle problems are not withdrawal I may have to go back on it at some point.

My GP gave me some Propanolol yesterday so if my panic gets bad I will try that.