Plz help me figure out how to take .75mg kpin as liquid suspension!

[Ca...]

I started a dry taper of klonopin from 2.5mg to 2.25mg April 29th. I was fine until day 13, but now I'm having severe restless leg syndrome that's lasting into the daytime. So I want to start liquid titration to have more even, controlled, no more than 10% tapers every 2 weeks.

But first, I want to get stable on my current dose of 2.25mg but using a suspension for my .75mg midday dose.

I'd like to drop a 1mg clonazepam (TEVA brand) pill in warm water, let it dissolve on its own, then shake, remove enough to equal .75mg (using a pipette/dropper thingy), then chug it down. (Please let me know whether or not this pill softens enough on its own in water w/o me needing to crush! I'd rather not crush, just drop, wait, and shake.)

Measuring tools I have right now are:

1. lidded medicine cup with 5mL, 7.5mL, 10mL, 15mL, and 30mL markings.

2. Standard kitchen glass liquid measuring thingy (ugh, this brain fog!)

I can probably get better tools from the pharmacy today, if they're necessary. But if I can do this with the tools mentioned, then that would be helpful so I can start adjusting to this liquid dose now while I research and order better tools for the rest of my titration.

Thank you so, so much for any help you can give me in figuring this out!

(It's been very infuriating for me not being able to figure out simple calculations & procedures like this! I really like math & science, but I just do not trust my brain right now. Ugh.)

Let me know if I left out some information? I hope this makes sense!

Your benzo is NOT water-soluble, and 2) water is a very poor suspension agent.

It is so much better, more reliable, to start with a solvent like vodka or propylene glycol then add water.  This will make a true, uniformly-distributed solution

It is so much better, more reliable, to start with a solvent like vodka or propylene glycol then add water.  This will make a true, uniformly-distributed solution

Thank you for your opinion on making solutions. I cannot use vodka. I have an adverse reaction to ingesting even small amounts of alcohol (and some substances that break down into a considerable amount of ethanol within the body). A very small bit of alcoholic beverage once or twice a year is okay, but daily dosing of a milliliter of diluted vodka would probably make me very miserable, very quickly.

If you do not wish to help me make a suspension, then that is alright. 

If you wish to clarify: I know that this medication is not water soluble in that it will not dissolve and create a solution in water. But do you mean that 1mg teva clonazepam pills, in your experience, do not soften at all after soaking in water? I would greatly appreciate anyone's input on this!

I would like to start by using a substance for suspension that I already use in daily life and have easy access to. If the general consensus is that water, orange juice, or milk will not provide me more accurate dosing than splitting my pill, then I will go back to cutting until I can buy a suspension agent from a pharmacy.

I would greatly like to minimize the addition of any new chemical solutions to my daily routine. 

Any information and experience regarding methods of suspension of this pill in water, milk, juice, or other suspension agent would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone who can help me calculate directions for creating the suspension, would be greatly appreciated. The measuring cup I have available starts at 100mL and has marks at 25mL intervals up to 500mL. 

If anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it so much!

Ari

Thank you for your opinion on making solutions. I cannot use vodka. I have an adverse reaction to ingesting even small amounts of alcohol (and some substances that break down into a considerable amount of ethanol within the body) Ari

Then use propylene glycol (for a true solution) or a suspension agent like OraPlus to make an effective suspension.

I did not do well with vodka, but I have been using milk and it has been working well.  I dilute in 12 ml of milk and add 238 ml of water when I am mixing up my solution.  I am also coming off Klonopin.

Beth

I did not do well with vodka, but I have been using milk and it has been working well.  I dilute in 12 ml of milk and add 238 ml of water when I am mixing up my solution.  I am also coming off Klonopin.

Beth

Hi Beth!

Thanks for your comment. I really do not think a vodka or propylene glycol solution will work for me at all.

But thanks for the advice and an example of your solution.

Wish you all the best in coming off klonopin :)

Ari

I started a dry taper of klonopin from 2.5mg to 2.25mg April 29th. I was fine until day 13, but now I'm having severe restless leg syndrome that's lasting into the daytime. So I want to start liquid titration to have more even, controlled, no more than 10% tapers every 2 weeks.

But first, I want to get stable on my current dose of 2.25mg but using a suspension for my .75mg midday dose.

I'd like to drop a 1mg clonazepam (TEVA brand) pill in warm water, let it dissolve on its own, then shake, remove enough to equal .75mg (using a pipette/dropper thingy), then chug it down. (Please let me know whether or not this pill softens enough on its own in water w/o me needing to crush! I'd rather not crush, just drop, wait, and shake.)

Measuring tools I have right now are:

1. lidded medicine cup with 5mL, 7.5mL, 10mL, 15mL, and 30mL markings.

2. Standard kitchen glass liquid measuring thingy (ugh, this brain fog!)

I can probably get better tools from the pharmacy today, if they're necessary. But if I can do this with the tools mentioned, then that would be helpful so I can start adjusting to this liquid dose now while I research and order better tools for the rest of my titration.

Thank you so, so much for any help you can give me in figuring this out!

(It's been very infuriating for me not being able to figure out simple calculations & procedures like this! I really like math & science, but I just do not trust my brain right now. Ugh.)

Let me know if I left out some information? I hope this makes sense!

Hi Ari-

I read through your posts & see you are limited to what will work for you. I have another option for you to consider to make a suspension. Guar gum is natural & plant based. It can be used by mixing 1/8 tsp with 100ml of water to suspend your klonopin.

This is how I would make a viable suspension & taper the .75mg midday dose:

1) Put 100 ml of water in a suitable container.

2) Add 1/8th tsp (.625grams) Guar gum. Shake well

3) Draw out 10ml of the guar gum suspension put in a suitable container

4) Add 1 - 1mg tablet Klonopin. Let sit until tablet has dissipated.

5) Draw out dose & if desired dilute with any liquid & drink

Here is a program where you can Create Your Own Taper Plan Our buddie Jim Hawk has developed this great DIY program along with this You-Tube step-by-step  Tutorial Video showing in explicit detail how to properly use his application.  :thumbsup:

Here is a sample created with this program:

Click on image

kBvab4U.png

Beth

I am not meaning to be rude or disrespectful but I really am not understanding how 0.5 ml's of vodka would cause problems? Do you look at all the food and drink labels of everything you consume because there's alcohol in many, many products. 0.5 ml's is like a couple of drops and then add 100 ml's of another liquid and the alcohol is almost non-existent. You need to read about PG before you decide to use that because I've read articles that say it's worse then alcohol. Good luck with finding something that works for you!  :smitten: