Empty, frozen, emotionally numb.

[07...]

So I stopped consuming xanax on 4/25. I now am an empty shell of a person, my question is how does the drug keep you propped up as a normal human being while you are on it if it is damaging us the whole time. I did all the normal stuff the whole time I was on this poison, (probably things I normally wouldn't have been able to), if I was suffering brain damage the whole time how could it be so? I feel like the withdrawl is what damaged me, not the 3 years I took it. Anybody have the scientific reason for this??

I firmly believe that the brain damage benzos cause is only temporary. I believe that it will go away in time, because the human body is always trying to heal itself. With benzo DW, it can take some time, and I am a perfect example of this. I stopped taking benzos (suddenly) in 2012. I thought I was going to die. I toughed it out, and here I am today, feeling quite normal and to my immense surprise, I now KNOW myself a whole lot better, not taking those darn benzos. It is as if my mind cleared, after 30 years taking benzos to sleep.

The brain damage is temporary, and you need not worry about this. I do not know how long you took benzos, but I did for THIRTY years, and I survived. The symptoms of WD can be awful. We all know that. But, they do go away in time. The human body has this amazing ability to heal itself as lo9ng as we dont keep throwing chemicals into it! It is that simple. Look at it this way: now that you are not taking benzos, your brain and body are re-adjusting. There is a lot of change going on, chemically and mentally. Those changes are causing your unpleasant symptoms. In time, it will all get better, as long as you dont take another benzo.

Best wishes to you and hang tight -

Annie