MTHFR Gene. Who has it? Is there. Support group

[Fa...]

I recently found out I am heterozygous for the C677T polymorphism in the MTHFR Gene. This means I am associated with reduced folic acid conversion. It says I have "reduced" folic acid conversion; thankfully not "significant".

Anybody else have this? Is there a support group here (an active one), that I can learn from?

I would like to figure out what I can do to improve this because I believe it affects my healing.

I found one supplement I am supposed to take but before I bought it I (of course) Googled it and found out this medication can have side effects.

http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/

I REALLY don't want anything with those two dreaded words!!

Thanks

Hugs to all.  :smitten:

• 1 month later...

Mthfr is a scam, outright quackery.  Alternative medicine salesmen have utilised the newly available consumer genetic tests to trick you into thinking your perfectly normal mtfhr polymorphism is a pathogenic mthfr mutation.  The former is extremely common (10-70%) while the latter is extremely rare  (0.001%). The quacks are going to want to sell you special methylated vitamins which you probably don't need and could severely rev up your withdrawal.

You aren't even homozygous, you are heterozygous. Half the population is heterozygous.

Mthfr is a scam, outright quackery.  Alternative medicine salesmen have utilised the newly available consumer genetic tests to trick you into thinking your perfectly normal mtfhr polymorphism is a pathogenic mthfr mutation.  The former is extremely common (10-70%) while the latter is extremely rare  (0.001%). The quacks are going to want to sell you special methylated vitamins which you probably don't need and could severely rev up your withdrawal.

You aren't even homozygous, you are heterozygous. Half the population is heterozygous.

Thank you so much for this reassurance. I've gotten so lost a few times trying to make any sense of all this craziness, thinking I am doomed.