Xanax Taper with Doxepin - Experience Anyone?

[ch...]

Hey guys,

Current Dose: 1mg/day Alprazolam

Duration: 1,5 years

My doc wants for my taper to cut my daily dose Xanax from 1mg to 0,5mg, which sounds like a lot to me.

For the symptoms she added 10mg Doxepin in the morning, another 10mg about 6hrs later and 25mg before sleep. In Total the taper should be over 6 month

But now to my question. Does anyone have experience with Doxepin for the symptoms while tapering off from Xanax or other Benzodiazepam? Do you think that plan is a good idea?

Thank you already :)

I think it’s a anti-depressant . When I began my taper I was prescribed Effexor. Never touched it because I don’t like anti depressants, never tried them just don’t like what I’ve studied. So I got Gabapentin which is a anti seizure drug and off label anxiety etc: I gave it a try and has helped a lot. I don’t see myself getting off soon as I need a break from all this tapering!  I would look up things and bring to your drs. Attention. They seem to like you being invested in this and doing your own research and suggestions.  Good luck to you😊

Doxepine was one of the many drugs they gave me when I rapidly detoced.  Its an old school antidepressant, a tca, and they prescribe it because it causes drowsiness, not for it's antidepressant effects.  From what I've seen, doctors want to throw anything they have that causes drowsiness and isnt a gabaergic....trazadone, mirtazipine, Doxepine, Seroquel.  It won't help you heal and it may have other SX (weight gain is a huge one for me), but it can help make benzo WD more bearable.  For me, being able to sleep and get a break from the torment was worth any risks.  At your dose and duration of use, I doubt you're anywhere near as bad as I was so hopefully you're still able to get some sleep naturally, but Doxepine may help you get more or better rest.