CBC Radio: "Patients say antidepressants difficult to quit"

[La...]

CBC Radio's "White Coat, Black Art", hosted by Dr. Brian Goldman, airs today with a program on antidepressant withdrawal. The accompanying article is entitled, "'I was sobbing uncontrollably': Patients say antidepressants difficult to quit."

I believe everyone -- even those outside Canada -- should be able to listen to this radio program by clicking on the "Listen to the full episode" button just below the first photo.

Those featured include a patient named Lynda Kooymans; Dr. Dee Mangin of McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, "one of the few doctors researching what happens when people stop taking antidepressants"; and Laura Delano, of "The Withdrawal Project", whose personal experiences with psychiatric meds and online support work might be familiar to some around here.

An excerpt from the article:

For her part, Dr.Mangin says the message for her colleagues is that they need to listen to patients.

"Patients are the experts in the way medicines affect them. Just because it's not written in the drug data sheet, it doesn't mean that it's not a real experience. When numbers of patients are telling us the same thing,  we fail to listen to them at our peril."

Link to article and radio program:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/i-was-sobbing-uncontrollably-patients-say-antidepressants-difficult-to-quit-1.4658787 

Laura Delano's "The Withdrawal Project":

https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/page/about-withdrawal-project

Information about Dr. Dee Mangin:

http://www.open-pharmacy-research.ca/about/scientific-advisory-committee/dee-mangin/

It's really good, benzohno! I listened to it this morning and was so impressed by the guests. It's amazing that Dr. Dee Mangin is doing research on this topic. I had seen her name before -- especially with regards to other docs who are challenging the status quo, such as Dr. Peter Goeztsche and doctors in the UK. While she's originally from New Zealand, I think she's firmly planted here in Canada for the moment.  :thumbsup:

Hi Fiona,

This is a new radio show, and it's just airing today. They started to promote it on CBC Radio late last night, which is how I heard about it. It is, however, the second article that Dr. Brian Goldman has done on this topic. He recently appeared on many of the CBC Radio afternoon shows to do a column on this topic, and it followed from the New York Times article that was widely shared here. He obviously felt the topic deserved further attention, therefore he's featuring it on his weekly radio show, called "White Coat, Black Art".

Hi Lapis, thanks for posting  I thought it was new, then I got muddled and thought it was last month's programme, my memory is so bad, I hope he does another blog as well ... that would be good.  I have circulated the programme on Twitter .. to all the medical bodies etc ...  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  and Scottish Govt of course.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am so pleased.

You're welcome, Fiona! I'm pleased too. I heard the promo late last evening and was surprised to find that the show was available to listen to before the radio airplay time. Anyway, it's good because it means that more people will hopefully hear about it and listen -- either on the radio today or online. Yes, please do share it widely!

I thought this program was really good too  :thumbsup: and I'm glad it was on the radio twice over the weekend.  I wish Dr. Brian Goldman would do something like this about benzodiazepines.

So do I, benzohno! That first piece about antidepressant withdrawal that he did followed the New York Times article on it. I wonder if he ever saw the NYTimes article about benzo withdrawal, which ran a few weeks beforehand. Perhaps he would do something if he saw that article.

Okay, I wrote him and I sent him the link.  :thumbsup:  I was wondering too, if he's seen the NYTimes article on benzos.  He actually has a contact page.  I've never written him before.