Surgery while on taper, Please help!

[42...]

[42...]

I was going to have hernia surgery at the end of my tapering but things can't wait and I need the procedure earlier. It just happens that surgery is going to be in the middle of my taper. I started tapering clonazepan that I took for 3 months (0.5 at night and 0.5 during the day). After a month since started tapering I'm in 0.5 dose. My doctor told me to keep taking the same dose (0.5) on the days before the surgery and then start to reduce again after surgery. To make things worst I got my last refill of clonazepan from other brand that the one I was tappering from (switch from TEVA to accord). Now feeling more anxious, don't know if the pill manufacturer change or my own anxiety facing the surgery...

Please if any body went thru the same issue I would really appreciate your experience and for those that are believers will thank your prayers.

Thanks!  :(

• 2 weeks later...
[16...]
It is true that there is a great variation in potency of prescription medication in manufacturer and generic vs brand name. So that could totally be it. Good luck with surgery!

Hi

Doctors might prescript antibiotics before or after surgery. Here below are some information about the kind of antibiotics to absolutely stay away from while tapering benzo.

...The fluoroquinolone class features a robust, broad-spectrum antibiotic effect and includes many popular drugs such as ciprofloxacin (Cipro), ofloxacin (Floxin), norfloxacin (Noroxin), levofloxacin (Levaquin), moxifloxacin (Avelox), and gemifloxacin (Factive).

...The primary receptor type affected is the GABA-A receptor, which is the exact same receptor that benzodiazepines act on.[1]

When a fluoroquinolone binds to a GABA receptor, the result is the polar opposite of the effect of CNS depressants like benzodiazepines. Fluoroquinolones are antagonists of the GABA-A receptor, meaning that they prevent the binding of GABA and can displace other molecules bound to the receptor, such as benzodiazepines.[1] GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and drugs which enhance its action, like benzodiazepines, cause sedation. The GABA receptor blockade caused by a fluoroquinolone results in a CNS stimulant effect, with neurological manifestations ranging from mild insomnia and agitation to hallucinations and seizures.[2] Anyone can suffer these side effects, but individuals prescribed benzodiazepines are notably much more prone to experiencing these adverse neuropsychiatric reactions.

Good luck!

• Popular Now

• [Lo...]