Clonazepam + Brintellix(Trintellix) taper help, please. #Tinnitus #Hyperacusis

[st...]

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am seeking help.

I have been on these 3 major drugs for almost 6 months now: Brintellix(Trintellix), Clonazepam and Pregabalin/Lyrica (detailed info in my signature).

In November 2017 I had a bad acoustic trauma and as a result I now suffer from intrusive bilateral tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and hyperacusis. It was pretty bad so I ended up in a psychiatric hospital with suicidal tendencies where I was on a heavy course of the aforementioned drugs.

When I was released from the hospital I was taken into the care of a psychiatrist who failed to inform me about the side effects of these drugs and was abruptly decreasing or incr. the dosage. I was having bad tinnitus spikes and what felt like electric jolts in my head.

To make matters worse, I later found out that in the release medical note from the hospital, my doctor was advised to upper intake my Pregabalin to 300 mg a day and slowly withdraw me from Clonazepam. That didn't happen.

I asked multiple other doctors (a neurologist, another psychiatrist, my GP, pharmacist..) and was reassured every time that these drugs will not have a negative effect on my tinnitus. It was not until recently that I found out how dangerous psychopharmaceutics are.

Please, help. I am trying now to come off these drugs. The last time I saw my psychiatrist (looking for a new one atm) I was told I can take Brintellix(Trintellix) 5 mg every other day and then stop. I'm trying to come off Clonazepam as well - 0,25 mg every 2 weeks.

I was considering doing the Substitution Taper with Valium (as shown in 'The Ashton Manual') but then I found out that Valium is actually listed as an ototoxic drug (http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf) as opposed to Clonazepam.

I don't know what to believe anymore. I just want to come off the drugs safely so that my tinnitus &/or hyperacusis won't worsen  :-[

https://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/benzodiazepine-withdrawal-syndrome-and-tinnitus/

I understand that I will probably go through some withdrawal symptoms after all this time on the drugs. Hopefully, though, not protracted post-withdrawal ones.

If anyone can give me any advice, or instruct me, on how to taper myself off from these drugs, so that I can absolutely minimize potential worsening of my tinnitus and hyperacusis → I will be extremely grateful!

Thank you very much for your attention.

stargate

I have no experience with the drugs you are trying to taper from stargate, I only have experience with Valium. 

Just wanted to let you know that I suffer tinnitus too and know how intrusive it can be.  I'm hoping that it will eventually cease, but who knows with this stuff?  Sorry too that you have been given the run-around by so many health 'professionals' you will find this a common theme throughout this site.  Disappointing and enlightening all at the same time.

There are others here who have experience with the drugs you describe and feel sure that someone will get to you with good advice.

Wishing all of the very best as you embark on your journey to freedom from these medications. 

:smitten:

Dee

Hi Dee!

And thanks for responding.

True. Tinnitus can be really distressing and now just the mere thought that it could get worse bec of the drugs I'm on, yea is just stressing me out even more. I asked my ex-psychiatrist plenty of times, the answer was always the same: "It's safe". Was just trying to be a good patient and listen to her advice. If I knew what I know now back in Jan I'd have tried to come off the drugs much sooner.

I now hope someone with similar experience will get back to me here with advice.

Anyway, how are you? Are you benzo free and feeling ok (and what about your t.)?

Thank you for the kind wishes.

:)

stargate

Hi stargate,

I guess I'm travelling OK.  What's a girl to do?  :)

I'm still tapering and feel a little more confident, than when at the beginning I was truly frightened.  Still have fear but my symptoms am improving as I progress and learn how to navigate.  In the beginning I was up shite creek in a barbed wire canoe without a paddle.  :D.

Thing with benzo WD is that just when I think it's safe to go back in the water something else crops up to confuse me further.  Oh well, ever onwards. 

Have you begun a taper yet, stargate?  For what it's worth I understand that it is best to taper one drug at a time with a 5-10% every 10 to 14 days.  I'm having a bit of trouble at the bottom end and am holding my cuts for a month now.  Valium has a long half life and can come back to kick you up to two weeks later.  This is what happened to me when jumping at miserable 2mgs.  Take a tip from one who's tried.  :)

Dead right about the tinnitus it can be so intrusive.  Mine fluctuates, and am hoping it will cease when I am completely free of the Valium.  Who knows, just have to hope and try.  I try not to focus on it.  Is yours manageable? 

I'm not of much use to you stargate except as a fellow traveller who understands.  My psychiatrist and various doctors all said I would be fine just to stop too.  Likewise with many here.  Yeah, right doc.  >:(

I don't hate doctors, just think they are uneducated about benzo's and too elitist to listen to the very people who suffer their sometimes consequences.  Peace and love.  :)

Dee  :smitten:

Hi Dee,

Whoa, just read your signature. I can tell you've been proly through a lot. You gotta be pretty strong to be able to endure all that, both physically and mentally. Also, I like your positive attitude :)

Yes, I have begun. 2nd week in. I heard the toughest part is when you're near finished with your withdrawal? It's kinda crazy. I noticed I have bad mood swings. Like sometimes I feel kinda ok (apart from my t. & I think I got hyperacusis from taking those drugs - didn't have that before), like there are better days ahead and most importantly HOPE. Aaand today, I felt the complete opposite. Like there's no way out. Especially after spending so much time on the net, trying to figure out my situation and what the "docs" didn't tell me. I'm a postgrad student, so this is what I do most of the time, gather data, analyse and then draw conclusions. I understand that benzos and other psych. drugs are messing with our brain chemistry and I don't like that. Actually, I feel now like pressing charges against my ex(psychiatrist) cuz I know if worse comes to worse and my t. gets worse due to her irresponsible approach - she'll just shrug it off and gets on with her life (which I won't be able to do anymore). Thanks to the 'Ashton Manual' I know T. can be a protracted post-withdrawal s. for 10 - 14% and that's what I'm worried about the most: drug-induced t. on top of my noise-induced t. Neurotoxicity. And we're just talking about benzos, not the other drugs in my cocktail. Well... I think I made that clear now a hair over eleventy kabillion times so I just stop. Still, my GP... why, just why?

I haven't found a psych. yet under whose supervision I'd be willing to put myself (and had confidence in) so I just downloaded the Icarus Project "Harm Reduction Guide To Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs" and am doing it on my own. Oh, and during my last meeting with that cow she said I could now start taking the antidepressant every other day and then just stop, and when I called our uni hospital they told me I need to come off clonazepam first so I guess I'm withdrawing from 2 drugs simultaneously now. The 10% method. For real, they load you with drugs and then just go... lead your life as you see fit. Cya

Anyway, I'll be happy for every fellow traveller who understands. People around me mostly don't. As soon as you're not all fun and smiles, they just sorta disappear. Not all of them, but daimn I miss those tinnitus and drugs free good old times.

I hope you have a great day, Dee  :)

Cheers,

stargate aka Daniel Jackson