Liquid Taper for 1.25mg Aprazolam (Xanax)

[Ho...]

Good Afternoon- I need help with a taper plan. I am currently taking 1.25mg alprazolam per day. (.5mg morning, .25mg evening, and .5mg nightly). Which way way would be the simplest way to safely taper? I am already having a bit of interdose withdrawals between doses. I have seen videos on YouTube with people using water in 250 or 300ml and dispensing 1ml, 2ml, etc a day. Will I be able to use the water method or do I need to use the milk version as solution? I have the 1mg tablets (blue ones). Any feedback with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Hopeful81 :smitten:,

Alprazolam is NOT SOLUBLE in water. You will need to dissolve it first with a solvent. When done, you can add water to make up the right solution.

It can also be dissolved by the fat contained in milk. But while the solution with benzo dissolved by alcohol (vodka, Evergreen,...) can be kept for 10-14 days, milk-based solution must be consumed quickly. Should you want to know more about Liquid Taper go here.

When no questions remain unanswered, then go here.

Wish you a good start and a smooth journey towards freedom!

:hug:

So would I be able to use whole milk and drop my 1.25mg in 250ml or 300ml and take out 1ml, 2ml, etc each day until all ml’s are gone? With a 250 ml solution I’m looking at. 250 day taper and 300ml a 300 day taper. Are any of those too fast? Are they within the 5-10% recommendation?  I’m new to this and just want as much advise as possible. Thanks!

Hi Hopeful81 :smitten:

Please read first the Help section in the previous message. Many of your questions are there answered.

:hug:

Hi Hopeful, I've noticed JimHawk posts that Alprazolam is not soluble in water.  My perspective is that it has been for me.  Now, is it 100% evenly distributed?  Probably not.  But, I let .25mg dissolve in 200ml of RO filtered water for 15-40 minutes before my dose time.  Then, when it's time, I stir the mixture up quickly, then within 5 seconds, I insert my 100ml syringe, and withdraw 100ml (I'm at 50% taper currently).  I place the contents of the syringe into a sippy cup, then draw in another 20-30ml of pure water, and add this amount to the sippy cup.  This is to rinse any residual medicine from the syringe.  Finally, I stir the remaining 100ml in the glass, and drink it.  I also add 20-30ml of pure water, and swirl it in the glass, and drink it.  8 hours later, I drink what's in the sippy cup for my next dose. Are both parts perfectly split in half?  probably not, but within 2%? Probably.

The point being, water gets the job done.  An ml or two of error probably doesn't make that much difference?  All I can tell you is it's been working for me just fine.

Hi,

We may think soluble and suspended are the same thing. They are not.

- Soluble is when benzo ingredient is completely dissolved into the solution and it does no longer exist under the solid form as when it was embedded in the tablet. Once dissolved, every tiny volume of the solution contains its quantity of benzo.

- Suspended is when benzo ingredient remains under its solid form, that we can't see because so small. If we leave the solution alone, the benzo ingredient and excipients (coating, binders, fillers...) by gravity will go down to the bottom of the jar since water has irrelevant suspension capability. To overcome this problem, there are pharmaceutical products like Oral-Plus, SyrSpend that are made to suspend benzo particles throughout the solution.

A number of buddies vigorously shake the solution before drawing up with syringe. I fear that by doing so, as the distribution of benzo particles remains aleatory, some days they might get more benzo than the other. That could also mean they might get today something and nothing tomorrow. The reason why they can seem to tolerate this, is either because the daily dose is low or because of the long half-life of the medication that works as a buffer to compensate fluctuations of benzo in the bloodstream.

In my opinion, the best way to do Liquid Taper would be to have Benzo medication from pharmacy directly under the form of liquid drops we can dilute then with water. But again these drops might contain up to 20% of alcohol and some buddies just can't accept it.

Hi Hopeful, I've noticed JimHawk posts that Alprazolam is not soluble in water.  My perspective is that it has been for me.  Now, is it 100% evenly distributed?  Probably not.  But, I let .25mg dissolve in 200ml of RO filtered water for 15-40 minutes before my dose time.  Then, when it's time, I stir the mixture up quickly, then within 5 seconds, I insert my 100ml syringe, and withdraw 100ml (I'm at 50% taper currently).  I place the contents of the syringe into a sippy cup, then draw in another 20-30ml of pure water, and add this amount to the sippy cup.  This is to rinse any residual medicine from the syringe.  Finally, I stir the remaining 100ml in the glass, and drink it.  I also add 20-30ml of pure water, and swirl it in the glass, and drink it.  8 hours later, I drink what's in the sippy cup for my next dose. Are both parts perfectly split in half?  probably not, but within 2%? Probably.

The point being, water gets the job done.  An ml or two of error probably doesn't make that much difference?  All I can tell you is it's been working for me just fine.

Please understand, your tablets (and almost any med tablets) will breakdown and deconstruct in almost any liquid, including plain water.  That is NOT evidence of solubility..  It simply means that the various components of the tablet have deconstructed.

In a true solution the benzo will actually change from a solid form to a uniformly-distributed liquid.  Each milliliter of the solution will contain exactly the same concentration of benzo.

And because of its low viscosity, water is a very poor suspension agent.

Your experience is NOT evidence that it is "...working just fine for me".  Many folks are able to discontinue benzos with no real formal taper plan.

Hi,

We may think soluble and suspended are the same thing. They are not.

- Soluble is when benzo ingredient is completely dissolved into the solution and it does no longer exist under the solid form as when it was embedded in the tablet. Once dissolved, every tiny volume of the solution contains its quantity of benzo.

- Suspended is when benzo ingredient remains under its solid form, that we can't see because so small. If we leave the solution alone, the benzo ingredient and excipients (coating, binders, fillers...) by gravity will go down to the bottom of the jar since water has irrelevant suspension capability. To overcome this problem, there are pharmaceutical products like Oral-Plus, SyrSpend that are made to suspend benzo particles throughout the solution.

A number of buddies vigorously shake the solution before drawing up with syringe. I fear that by doing so, as the distribution of benzo particles remains aleatory, some days they might get more benzo than the other. That could also mean they might get today something and nothing tomorrow. The reason why they can seem to tolerate this, is either because the daily dose is low or because of the long half-life of the medication that works as a buffer to compensate fluctuations of benzo in the bloodstream.

In my opinion, the best way to do Liquid Taper would be to have Benzo medication from pharmacy directly under the form of liquid drops we can dilute then with water. But again these drops might contain up to 20% of alcohol and some buddies just can't accept it.

I shake/stir my solution and my taper has been fine with little to no withdrawals or incidents... There are many YouTube videos that advocate shaking and stirring before drawing up the solution and those people have been successful in their tapering process. I believe it all depends on what agent is used to breakdown your medication.  I don't believe compounding pharmacies are covered by insurance and some are pricey (mine would have been) and some of us don't have the resources to use that method.  This titration method is only complicated when you make it that way and many here have succeeded in making their own solutions and have done just fine.  :smitten:::)

Do all you guys think it will be fine to start my tapering process using just water? I’m currently dry cutting and I have symptoms like shaking, anxiety is pretty bad, and morning anxiety. I was taking 2mg Xanax on some days and now I’m down to 1.25mg daily but with dry cutting. Please someone let me know the easiest process for liquid taper. I’m not good with the whole math it’s so confusing. The only one that sounds easy for me is the 250 or 300ml and taking out a ml every day. What are yalls suggestions?

Please understand, your tablets (and almost any med tablets) will breakdown and deconstruct in almost any liquid, including plain water.  That is NOT evidence of solubility..  It simply means that the various components of the tablet have deconstructed.

In a true solution the benzo will actually change from a solid form to a uniformly-distributed liquid.  Each milliliter of the solution will contain exactly the same concentration of benzo.

Your experience is NOT evidence that it is "...working just fine for me".  Many folks are able to discontinue benzos with no real formal taper plan.

Builder,

What do you suggest I do? I’m dry cutting and having symptoms. I’m having shakiness, morning anxiety, just an uneasy feeling.

Builder,

What do you suggest I do? I’m dry cutting and having symptoms. I’m having shakiness, morning anxiety, just an uneasy feeling.

I don't think Builder knows you are asking for him unless you title your thread with his name. Anyway... I'm not as experienced as Builder, Bella or others but this is what I do.

I start with 0.5 mg's of Clonazepam.  I draw about 0.5 ml's of Everclear with a syringe and cover the pill with the vodka and add a little water in a 100 ml beaker. I let the pill sit for about 30-minutes sometimes longer. I then add water to the 50 ml line and stir it.  I then pour the liquid in a small mason jar and add another 50 ml's of water for a total of 100 ml's. I put the lid on the mason jar and shake back and forth... not up and down (the water gets on the inside of the lid when I do that). I open the lid and immediately remove 0.5 ml's of solution with the syringe right down the middle and discard.  The next day I remove 1 ml. The next day 1.5 ml, etc.  I remove 10 ml's a month which is a slow taper.  I started my taper on the 1st so on the 15th and the end of the month I hold for a few days.  Then the following month I work on the next 10 ml's. Make sense? I don't do math either so this way works for me. I'm 50% tapered... and it took 5 months without many noticeable side effects. I tried dry cutting a few years ago twice and failed so this works well for me. I hope it helps. Everyone does their taper a little differently but I feel that is ok as long as it works for you and only you know your body and the rate in which you feel comfortable in your taper!  I hope this helps!!!:thumbsup::smitten:

Builder,

I don't think Builder knows you are asking for him unless you title your thread with his name. Anyway... I'm not as experienced as Builder, Bella or others but this is what I do.

I start with 0.5 mg's of Clonazepam.  I draw about 0.5 ml's of Everclear with a syringe and cover the pill with the vodka and add a little water in a 100 ml beaker. I let the pill sit for about 30-minutes sometimes longer. I then add water to the 50 ml line and stir it.  I then pour the liquid in a small mason jar and add another 50 ml's of water for a total of 100 ml's. I put the lid on the mason jar and shake back and forth... not up and down (the water gets on the inside of the lid when I do that). I open the lid and immediately remove 0.5 ml's of solution with the syringe right down the middle and discard.  The next day I remove 1 ml. The next day 1.5 ml, etc.  I remove 10 ml's a month which is a slow taper.  I started my taper on the 1st so on the 15th and the end of the month I hold for a few days.  Then the following month I work on the next 10 ml's. Make sense? I don't do math either so this way works for me. I'm 50% tapered... and it took 5 months without many noticeable side effects. I tried dry cutting a few years ago twice and failed so this works well for me. I hope it helps. Everyone does their taper a little differently but I feel that is ok as long as it works for you and only you know your body and the rate in which you feel comfortable in your taper!  I hope this helps!!!:thumbsup::smitten:

Raquel Rocks, so do you make a new batch of solution the same way everyday? Since I’m taking 1.25mg how solution do you think I should go with. Is 250 too little and fast of a taper if I start by pulling 0.5ml and work my way up to my finish point? And also since Xanax is short acting I can split liquid into 6 small mason jars for throughout the day. Thank you so much for replying to me!! I’m just trying to get off this medication with as few side effects as possible.

I'm not understanding the 250 part in your question. 250 what? If I were you I would dose three times if you think that would work better for you. I only dose once and yes... I was making my solution daily. Right now since I'm at 50% and holding I am making a batch.  When I start up again I will make up a batch for a couple of nights but I don't mind making it up every night... to me it's fun doing it.  I'm not familiar with Xanax so perhaps someone on this forum would be more experienced with that med. All I know is that the reduction rate works well at about 5 - 10 percent every two weeks. I basically figured out what worked best for ME... my inability to do math, the way my body works etc.  The help I received here and on YouTube was basically how to mix the liquid, what to use to break up the pill, what equipment to get as far as syringes and containers. Also... I got help with the math part or the mg of the pill during the reduction. Regarding my rate of dosing and method.... I figured all that out according to what worked best for me. Make sense?  I try to make it simple... look at the reduction in sections not according to numbers.  When things get too complicated for me I tend to quit or get overwhelmed so I like to keep it simple. I hope this helps.  :smitten:

Builder,

I use Everclear... 0.5 ml's... which is small. I don't have any issues with it.  :thumbsup:

Do all you guys think it will be fine to start my tapering process using just water? I’m currently dry cutting and I have symptoms like shaking, anxiety is pretty bad, and morning anxiety. I was taking 2mg Xanax on some days and now I’m down to 1.25mg daily but with dry cutting. Please someone let me know the easiest process for liquid taper. I’m not good with the whole math it’s so confusing. The only one that sounds easy for me is the 250 or 300ml and taking out a ml every day. What are yalls suggestions?

It really isn't complicated:

1)  Make a dilute solution by combining 1mg Xanax with 2ml 80 proof vodka and dilute with 8ml water.  I suggest making enough for about7- 10 days.  If your at 1.25mg, then dissolve 10mg Xanax in 20ml vodka, and add 80ml water.  That's all there is to it...combine 3 ingredients.

2) Since your liquid will contain .1mg in eah ml, your liquid dose (milliliters) will simply be 10X the amount in milligrams.  To take your 1.25mg dose, just drink 12.5ml from your liquid supply.  I'm sure you can multiply by 10s in your head. so that really eliminates "the math".

1)  Make a dilute solution by combining 1mg Xanax with 2ml 80 proof vodka and dilute with 8ml water.  I suggest making enough for about7- 10 days.  If your at 1.25mg, then dissolve 10mg Xanax in 20ml vodka, and add 80ml water.  That's all there is to it...combine 3 ingredients.

2) Since your liquid will contain .1mg in eah ml, your liquid dose (milliliters) will simply be 10X the amount in milligrams.  To take your 1.25mg dose, just drink 12.5ml from your liquid supply.  I'm sure you can multiply by 10s in your head. so that really eliminates "the math".

I’m sure I’m overthinking this! So with your response. How much will I be pulling a day? Then I have another problem because I want to dose with Xanax 4 times daily cause of interdose withdrawals. Will I be able to say pull my 12.5ml and add more water so I can put it into 4 small mason jars so I can take every six hours. If it wouldn’t be a bother for you could you please if me an example of a dosing schedule with your suggestion please! My brain is really making me feel dumb right now  :-\

I wrote out a of what I think I’m suppose to do but not sure if I have it correct.

I’m sure I’m overthinking this! So with your response. How much will I be pulling a day? Then I have another problem because I want to dose with Xanax 4 times daily cause of interdose withdrawals. Will I be able to say pull my 12.5ml and add more water so I can put it into 4 small mason jars so I can take every six hours. If it wouldn’t be a bother for you could you please if me an example of a dosing schedule with your suggestion please! My brain is really making me feel dumb right now  :-\

I wrote out a of what I think I’m suppose to do but not sure if I have it correct.

1)  You make a chart/calendar showing your dose for each day.  For example*, lets say you want to cut .01mg per day, your chart would look like this;

1.25mg    12.5ml

1.24mg    12.4ml

1.23mg    12.3ml

1.22mg    12.2ml

etc...

2) each day, you just draw up your scheduled dose and take it.  If you want to take  multiple doses, just divide up that total dose into seperate "mini-doses".  Once you have drawn up the total dose, you can even further dilute that to make it easier to divide into smaller doses.  For example, f you want to dose 4X/day, you just put the total days dose in a measuring cup, then add enough water to fill to 1 cup, and just take 1/4 cup each dose.

*You can choose what ever cut rate that works for you.  Then each day, you just reduce your dose by whatever amount you have chosen.