Benzo-free for a month

[ic...]

Just wanted to offer words of encouragement to those starting their taper or are in the midst of it. I know when I joined here I ran straight to the sucess stories because I HAD to hear that we all get better and that I wasn't going nuts. So thank you to all who have posted here before me! Your words were like a life preserver and I hope I can help someone else in return.

I tapered from 1mg of Lorazepam (Ativan) in a tad over 3 months. I believe I healed on the way so by the time I was done, the symptoms were minimal. I have no symptoms now and life is GOOD. I feel better than I have in years, found my true self again and feel like I have been given a second chance in life.

I was on it long term (about 6 years). During my taper I made cuts of .125 every 2 weeks until it was gone. I tried to start with a .50 cut like Dr. suggested, but after the first night I realized that was not happening. I found this board and they reaffirmed that the cuts needed to be smaller. I didn't titrate at all  -to me it seemed like it would drag it out too long. Just a personal decision.

I even found that some of the symptoms weren't all "bad" symptoms and I actually liked how some of them made me feel. Less tense, brighter colors, more in tune with my body and what it needs, sleep awareness, and the floaty feeling felt kind of cool sometimes.

The bad symptoms were definitely bad - I had most of them listed in the Ashton manual - but they would come and go, replacing each other along the way and none of them stuck around forever.

I worked full time and took care of my son during this. I was able to do lot of things during my taper on the days I felt good. On the days I felt bad I tried to give myself a break and remove as much work from my plate as possible. I withdrew from friends and family, but it was necessary because I just wasn't myself.

Originally prescribed for an airplane flight when I told my GP that I was nervous. Then for sleep when I was put on a antidepressant after my son was born. In hind site, I didn't need either - but got sucked into the whole thing believeing I was "broken" and had a disorder, etc.

So now I'm off this stuff for good and feeling great! I'll never forget what I went though, but I'm looking forward -not back - in hopes of making up for lost time!

Best to everyone,

ican

oops! I made a mistake about my taper cuts (see, I forgot already!). I started with .25 cuts, not .125.

When I first saw your username, I knew you could and would do this! Congratulations ican!  :yippee:

Thanks for sharing your positivity. :)

Thank you for sticking around to help your Buddies, we need people here who have recovered to let others know there IS hope.  :smitten:

Hi Icandothis:

Thanks for telling us your success story.  So many people post their worries that they will have a long recovery.  Now I can tell them about you and they will feel better.

ntw

• 2 weeks later...

thank you!  I'm new here, in the middle of a taper that's faster than I want it to be, and I'm reading the success stories.

People like you give me hope. 

Thank you for sharing.

Congratulations and thanks for posting.  New members really need to hear good stories.  :yippee:  :yippee:

Patty  xo

• 1 month later...

Great story  and  wonderful way to instill hope on people like me that have a hard time leaving behind this drug , sounds like a positive attitude and an unbreakable spirit go a long way.

I am always amazed to see how the taper can go so well with some bumps here and there but with an outcome that paints so much hope.

Thanks again for sharing such a great story  ,I  and many of my fellow BB appreciate it .

Tino

Hi Tino,

Thanks for reading. Just wanted to let you know that I'm off over 3 months now and still feeling good. So it is possible!!

I see you are pretty low in your taper - are you jumping soon or going to titrate? You are so close!

icandothis

Thank you, Ican.....

I think of you and your accomplishment everyday.

And I am so happy for you every day.

AND... I know because of posts like yours that

this healing will happen for me too.

Your story is a little shining beacon for many of us...

:hug: s &  :smitten:

Oops!!!! Still a benzo brain here... I thought the timing was

wrong but the fact did not penetrate my benzobombed brain.

Copying this and posting it to your 3-month thread.....

it still all works and is sincerely meant... either spot.  :smitten: