Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Xanax taper

[Du...]

Hi all

I have been taking Xanax for the past 6months to help with sleep as part of developing PTSD. I have successfully tapered down to 0.3125 (from 2mg when I started) and am ready to go down to 0.25. I take 0,25 before sleep, and 0.0625 when I wake up in the middle of the night. I guess the second dose does not really do much as it is quite a small dose, but have been at this stage for the past 2 weeks just to feel safe to cut it completely. Usually falling asleep is not that difficult anymore, it's the waking up in the middle of the night, which makes it harder to go back to sleep. And the sleep quality of my second half of sleep is actually much worse, lighter sleep, lots of waking up. But I do believe that my sleep is going to get much better when I manage to get off the benzo and have gone through the withdrawal.

Any advice on how to proceed? I have the following options:

1. Quit the middle of the night small dose, stabilise, and then taper the remaining 0.25?

2. Stop taking the larger dose before sleep, and take only 0,25 in the middle of the night? Then taper that.

3. Quit the middle of the night small dose, and then alternate daily, taking 0,25 before sleep one day, and 0,25 in the middle of the night the next day? And slowly taper.

4. Any other suggestions?

I am also taking an SSRI, Brintellix.

Many thanks

What if you cut your .25 nightly dose in half and took that for 10-14 days and then try your number one option? Always consult your doctor if possible! I’m down from 2mg of xanax to 1.5. I’ve been cutting my .5’s in quarters and the slow tapering is really helping me avoid withdrawal